back to article Series of Seagate missteps as revenue generator spins down

Here's a suggestion – Seagate, led by a combined chairman and CEO, has made a catalogue of tactical errors in the face of the NAND tidal wave while rival Western Digital has pivoted sideways to embrace flash. Is Seagate sensibly husbanding its resources because, while flash will store edge and enterprise fast-access data, the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another Seagate bashing article from Chris Mellor?

I thought it had been a while since Mellor got some seagate hate off his chest. Between them and some of the companies they bought up (Xyratex, etc) it seems like Mellor must bust into cold sweats if he hasn't posted some hate in a while.

2. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    Happy

But everybody knows....

... that Seagate drives die faster, don't they?

1. Peter2 Silver badge
      Coat

Re: But everybody knows....

Faster than even the good old IBM Deathstar?

3. Gis Bun

Not really related to Seagate's woes, but I won't touch their portable drives ever again. Bought one of them. Used it here and there. Shut off 99% of the time. Connected to a UPS [so power through USB wasn't needed].

Last fall, turned it on and got nothing. As if the disk didn't exist.

Went over to Best Buy. Said it wasn't the power adapter. Broke open the case and pulled out the hard disk and put it in a HD dock. It would turn on but nothing [so it wasn't the USB to drive interface]. Ran a HD diagnostics and it found thousands of errors.

Didn't take chances. Tossed the drive.

Lost hundreds of gigs of data that I accumulated over the years.

4. Michael Sanders

Hard drives are pretty much dead for anything but backup. So both companies are living in a dream. While they could continue to be made more dense it wouldn't be reliable. Other tech is just taking over. And they are better suited to storing data at such a tiny scale than magnetic domains of the same size. Shingled drives? You would trust your data to not enough butter scrapped over too much bread? Overlapping tracks? Epic fail. Not that thinner pieces of glass in helium does much for me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hard drives are pretty much dead for anything but backup.....Shingled drives? You would trust your data to not enough butter scrapped over too much bread? Overlapping tracks?

Not really any good for back up, I'd suggest. The one thing that could have kept spinning rust alive (durability) the makers have given way on. They won't get that edge back.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Hard drives are pretty much dead for anything but backup."

Only if you don't care about the quality of your backups. I wouldn't trust them to HDDs.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What seems to be forgotten is the consolidation between sites. The result is a loss of ip. The knock on effect is that current projects can be completed and current products can't be sustained. Every engineer can see this happening but management are continuing to ignore the consequences.

6. Ilsa Loving
    Thumb Down

Never buying Seagate again

IMO, Seagate hadn't been wrong with the whole hybrid drive thing. Being able to store a whackton of data, while accelerating the most accessed stuff, was a great in-between HDD and full SSD.

The problem was that the amount of flash they put on the drive was so tiny that was barely enough to cache anything. And if you rarely rebooted, your OS would still take forever to reboot since it didn't get flagged for caching.

Worse still, their drives were so god damn unreliable as to be a pitiful joke. I literally went through 4 of them in a 6 month period. One new plus multiple replacements, and every single one failed in shockingly short order. Eventually I just gave up. And this is on top of all the various other seagate drives I had that all failed. Literally every single one. The most I got out of a drive was 2, possibly three years. By comparison, I have countless (Well not countless, but I can't be bothered to do so) WD drives that have been going for many years now and they're still going strong.

And my experiences have been echoed by pretty much every person I know.

So their overall strategy may have been bad. It may have been good. But it really doesn't matter because Seagate has managed to build such a solid reputation for unreliability that no one in their right mind would buy their stuff. I don't care if Seagate says it's drives can eject dollar bills every RPM. I still wouldn't buy them, cause it would still end up failing before I recouped the cost of the drive.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like