back to article 'Grueling' record-breaking VR movie marathon triggers hallucinations

A New Yorker and a transplant from London to the Big Apple last week managed to endure watching virtual reality videos for 50 hours non-stop, setting a Guinness World Record in the process. For their trouble, they raised their heart rates, hallucinated, and experienced involuntary open-eyed "micro-naps." It's not clear how …

1. jake Silver badge

Thus neatly proving ...

... it doesn't matter how long you sit on your arse looking like a twat, you'll still just be sitting on your arse looking like a twat.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: Thus neatly proving ...

Yeah, not something to put on your CV.

"I hold a world record."

"Really, what in?"

"Hallucinating periodically and nodding off, while sitting on a sofa eating finger-food for 48 hours".

1. Mark 85

Depends I would think on the job you seek. Couch tester maybe? Big brother telescreen monitor?

2. Bertie.io

Sounds like my average weekend

2. Chris Miller

Hallucinations are pretty normal following lengthy periods of sleep deprivation. A friend attempted the Lands End to John O'Groats cycling record (~48 hours) many years ago - he reported hallucinations when approaching his goal.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Coat

"he reported hallucinations when approaching his goal."

So he imagined he was playing football whilst he was still on his bike? Wow :)

3. Mystic Megabyte
    Stop

How did they pee?

Did they stick their virtual dicks into virtual bottles?

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: How did they pee?

"Did they stick their virtual dicks into virtual bottles?"

That's what they thought they were doing...

or possibly

That's not what they thought they were doing... 0-o

2. jake Silver badge

They were lead to the throne, and told to squat. Kinda like your average 2 year old.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In such cases you virtually never have to eliminate waste.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obligatory

"This is your brain" (picture of brain)

"This is your brain on VR" (screenshot from "Lawnmower Man")

5. Brangdon

The Gadget Show

Georgie off C5's The Gadget show claimed a VR record for playing 25+ hours of VR Minecraft, only last Friday. That record didn't last long.

6. Grunchy Silver badge

All world records are stupid

You may as well asphyxiate yourself setting a hot-dog eating record.

7. hellwig

Does Guinness matter anymore?

For a book of knowledge compiled to end drunken disputes, Guinness World Records has really just gone to sh*t. Seriously, have two people ever gotten drunk and argued about who's watched the most VR? Or who's taken the most selfies in a minute? Or who's ... well, I want to insert a sarcastic fake record here, but I'm not certain I can make one up that isn't actually in the books already.

Some things are interesting, but Guinness really needs a filter. Like, maybe put up potential records to public vote. If enough people care, it goes in the book, if not, you just wasted 50 hours of your life, great job!

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Does Guinness matter anymore?

I read that subject^W"Title", and was expecting a lynch mob screaming for blood.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How can you tell if they fall asleep?

Sometimes if I haven't slept much the night before if I'm comfortable on my couch watching TV I'll unintentionally fall asleep for about 10 or 20 minutes - suddenly I'm confused about what happened in what I was watching and have to rewind a bit to the last place I remember clearly. Then I see stuff that I mostly don't remember except for bits and pieces here and there. Usually feel pretty refreshed after such a short 'nap' - sometimes it makes it difficult to get to sleep even hours later (I've always been a short sleeper, and it is often hard for me to get to sleep)

If my eyes were covered by VR goggles you'd have no way of knowing I'd dozed off...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How can you tell if they fall asleep?

It happens a lot. I slept while reading once and dreamed I was still reading. The next morning the book failed to match what I remembered reading. It's the onset of the sleep state.

Interestingly this can lead to people experiencing strange stuff that never happened, such as alien abductions, ghosts, and what have you. Meanwhile the person honestly believes it really happened and will swear to it.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: How can you tell if they fall asleep?

The question is, did you write down your version of the book, John? Lotsa money in "alternative" versions of any given story these days.

9. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Siting in comfy chairs?

Surely the whole point of the VR 360 stuff they watched is that you need to be able to turn through the full 360 to see everything?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All of the symptoms they describe...

None of these symptoms are from the VR. They are all classic sleep deprivation symptoms. If you stay up for 2 days... your brain and body start doing weird things.

http://www.healthline.com/health/sleep-deprivation/effects-on-body

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like