back to article nbn™ demos gigabit-speed fixed wireless services

nbn™, the organisation building and operating Australia's national broadband network (NBN), has demonstrated a 1.1Gbps downstream and 165Mbps upstream connection using its fixed wireless network. The demonstration was conducted in the regional Victorian city of Ballarat and required the aggregation of eleven “carriers” - …

1. Magani
    Unhappy

How about getting the basics right first?

,,,has committed to 100Mbps fixed wireless services in 2018.

It would be nice if they committed to speeds like that on their 'wired' service sometime soon.

2. Oengus

2nd user

I wonder what speeds a second user would get if they tried to connect at the same time? What about the 10th user? These isolated "Proof of concept" have no bearing in the real world.

Wireless is great when there are few users but once the user count goes up in an area the performance drops.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Internet speed in the mountains of Japan...

http://imgur.com/1E5p9N0

I had to re-download well over 6,000Gb of Data recently, here in the mountains of central Japan. It would have taken forever at the old speeds. So, `Yes`, as the use for fast net speeds is found, then people will enjoy it, and the benefits of increasing upcoming uses.

It was easier here at Fiber-speeds than on 33k (then 56k) I used to have in Perfidious Albion.

P.S.

I was getting over 700Mbps on this rig, whilst streaming on 2 other computers (family watching youtube vids).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like