back to article Risk-free Friday evenings, thanks to Office 365 license management

Office 365 administrators have a reason to be happy: Microsoft has finally joined the party on group-based Office 365 licence management, saving time from manual maintenance, or the reliance on scripts and third-party systems. The 'before' time Until earlier this year, administrators of Office 365 had no pure native way to …

1. Mage Silver badge

But

It was only complicated because MS made it complicated.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: But

Flexible, my dear, flexible.

2. seven of five

Re: But

If you can´t convice them - confuse them!

2. hellwig

We have a better solution.

My employers solution is to a) license basic office for every PC and b) never buy new licenses for the more expensive stuff regardless of staffing levels.

Each PC has Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook. Then, each week, the office admins mail around begging anyone who isn't actively using their Visio/Project/etc.. licenses to return them for someone else to use.

It's quite efficient.

3. BitDr

Of course...

Of course you could always not use their product, but if you really HAVE to then license complexity is in your future.

4. Herby

License? What license??

The easiest way out of ALL of this is to use software that doesn't require licenses to work.

LibreOffice is your friend.

1. P. Lee

Re: License? What license??

>LibreOffice is your friend.

Unless you need Visio.

Or a mail system which allows delegation.

LibreOffice is great, but we still have more work to do.

5. adnim
    Facepalm

MS still selling shit?

many dumb fucks still buying?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: MS still selling shit?

No my dear boy, they are not selling 'shit' as you so aptly put it.

They are renting it to you.

Failure to pay the rent and you lose access to your documents. This is especially true if you for some strange reason store them in the likes of OneDrive and other MS cloudly offerings.

I look forward to the day when a large company gets into deep do-do because the Purchasing manager went 'How much? You gotta be kidding..." when faced with the next MS bill and the CEO happened to be off playing Golf on MS's dime and couldn't agree the purchase order.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: MS still selling shit?

>This is especially true if you for some strange reason store them in the likes of OneDrive

Don't the documents just sit on my local hard drive, synced using the Onedrive client?

I thought it would simply stop updating, not that the documents would disappear.

6. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

"because HR decided to enact an end-of-week tidy-up to the CEO's Office 365 account."

Please don't disturb the Friday night binge drinking just because an HR droid put their career on Self-Destruct. Drinking and driving don't mix, you know. That can wait until post-blackout Saturday mid-morning.

7. Stevie

Bah!

The worst user experience I've personally had outside of a certain application software company's products from the mid nineties.

Bug ugly flat GUI interface with lousy color schemes. Makes my eyes water after a couple of hours wrestling with it.

Makes sharing documents with non-users a terrific pain in the fundament with it's "lets encode everything and require people to go to a website to get a key so they can read whatever it is" methodology.

Hogs bandwidth that isn't there.

And (All Together Now) requires a persistent internet connection.

All that, and the mail client can't provide a fraction of the features I get with thunderbird, which in turn means I cannot properly automate to deal with idiots who hijack mail threads without changing subject lines and therefore miss "important" things people write in the bewildering expectation that I will read their e-dribble in real-time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like