back to article Linux 4.11 delayed for a week by NVMe glitches and 'oops fixes'

The Register hasn't needed to spend much time covering Linux 4.11 because hiccups haven't happened and Linux daddy Linus Torvalds' comments have been sparse and measured, other than a slightly terse lesson on how to Pull properly. But today he's posted that this version of Linux has hit a speed bump in the form of “NVMe power …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are you sure it was from Torvalds?

Where's the screaming, frothing at the mouth, vicious, rabbid, curse filled rant?

It can't be Torvalds if it doesn't include more screaming rant than a Bombastic Bob post!

*Cough*

Sorry Bob, you know we love you, right?

*Chortle*

(Inserts the joke icon just in case)

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Good lord, man, testing software?

What's wrong with just throwing it out there and letting the punters find the bugs, like everyone else seems to?

1. Fatman
      Joke

Re: Good lord, man, testing software?

<quote>What's wrong with just throwing it out there and letting the punters find the bugs, like everyone else seems to?</quote>

Do you mean the Microsoft way of writing code???

1. Anonymous IV

> Do you mean the Microsoft way of writing code???

Good grief! You waited until two posts had already been made before saying something trite about Microsoft in a utterly Linux thread?

3/10 - should try harder...

2. fidodogbreath

Testing before release? That's just crazy-talk.

Actually, here's the real crazy-talk: "We're going to force-install privacy-invading 'telemetry' to monitor how you use your personal property, so that you can provide mandatory unpaid alpha- and beta-testing for our expensive commercial OS. For some reason, you will blindly accept this."

3. Youngdog

“but it just doesn't feel right.”

The Golden rule of managing tech - if in doubt, don't.

Despite what the the PHBs, Beancounters (and, sometimes, End Users) say whatever it is can wait another week without the sky falling in - they may not thank you for it but don't forget they would all be lining up to throw you under the bus if pushing $whatever out early created issues

4. Richard Lloyd

Just in time for my new Ryzen PC...

I'm getting a new Ryzen 7 1700 PC next week and 4.11 has some features needed by Ryzen users (mainly support for the S1220A audio codec), so it'll hopefully arrive only days before I start using the new machine.

The "fun" bit will be getting CentOS 7 to work with Ryzen - the plan will be use a live Fedora 25 USB to partition/enable networking and then copy my old PC's OS (already upgraded to 4.10 kernel via ELrepo and will go to 4.11 as well) and boot partitions over to the new machine and hopefully get something bootable into CentOS 7. Before you ask, CentOS 7's ISO installer has a too-old kernel that crashes during installation on Ryzen machines :-(

1. JJF

Re: Just in time for my new Ryzen PC...

Have you tried the latest CentOS rolling iso?

see https://buildlogs.centos.org/rolling/7/isos/x86_64/?C=M;O=D

1. Richard Lloyd

Re: Just in time for my new Ryzen PC...

The rolling ISO is just a monthly (though I don't see April's yet) rollup of all the updates into an installer ISO image. Hence, the kernel version in the 1st March rolling ISO is actually older than the one I have on my fully updated CentOS 7 desktop (and is still based on 3.10). So it does still look like ELrepo is the way to go if you want to run CentOS 7 on Ryzen kit at this moment in time.

I am assuming that at some point, RHEL/CentOS 7 will surely have to support Ryzen hardware out of the box (and even more so when the Naples server variant is released).

5. fidodogbreath

It's a trap!

"So go out and test, guys and gals, and make sure that I can do a final release next weekend instead, ok?"

Who are you, and what have you done with Linus?!?!?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Re: It's a trap!

It's called middle-aged with teenage daughters syndrome.

2. BobC

Re: It's a trap!

The whole reason I haven't done any Linux kernel contributions is the extreme abrasiveness of the process. Linus isn't at all bad, but he can verbally match what the process itself feels like.

It's MUCH easier (and less traumatic) to make a bug report (with code, mainly for drivers) than to attempt a pull request.

Sure, I don't get my name on the commit. But I'd want that only if it were important for my CV. Which may happen someday, but not today. (For now, I can trace my bug report to the commit, which is good enough.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like