back to article CookieMonster nabs user creds from secure sites

Websites used for email, banking, e-commerce and other sensitive applications just got even less secure with the release of a new tool that siphons users' authentication credentials - even when they're sent through supposedly secure channels. Dubbed CookieMonster, the toolkit is used in a variety of man-in-the-middle scenarios …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bank of America -FAIL

I'm disappointed.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alliance Leicester FAIL

If the testing method described in the last para of the article is sound

3. Max Vernon
    Thumb Up

TD Canada Trust - PASS

TD Canada Trust banking seems to work fine.

4. Max Vernon
    Thumb Down

Bank of Nova Scotia (Canada) - FAIL

Not good...

5. Michael James
    Happy

St George Bank, Australia pass

A few unsecured cookies, but without the secure ones; you're logged out. 8^)

6. Tom

For the legacy challenged

How do you check in IE?

7. Mart
    Thumb Up

HSBC UK

Looks ok here :)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

EBankInter - PASS

Phew!

9. david g
    Paris Hilton

FIRST DIRECT - pass

Paris - because it's obviously Phorm-related

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HSBC.co.uk - Pass

Assuming validity of the test of course

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Halifax and Nationwide - FAIL

Both allow cookies over "any type of connection"

12. Aidan Ramskir

Egg Banking - PASS

Assuming I followed instructions properly

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Halifax - FAIL

Disappointing

14. Gerry
    Thumb Up

FirstDirect - PASS

Seems to have passed but I hope someone else tries the test.

15. Aidan Samuel
    Thumb Up

hsbc.co.uk - pass

just the personal side, didn't try the business side.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Try Logging Out !?

But the banks, and others, say to always logout, so that would surely (?) avoid this situation? Also all banks that I have used automatically log you off if unused for a few minutes.

Anyway, will try a few...

17. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Barclays - UK - PASS

Showed no cookies as secure, so didn't erase anything after the first clearing.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

First Direct - PASS

First Direct seem to be OK :-)

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Standard Bank (South Africa) - PASS

Only one cookie from the internet banking server, and it's "encrytped connection only".

20. Danny

Natwest - PASS

If this method works

21. FlatSpot

What about?

Next, clear all cookies marked as "SECURE" (in Firefox, go to preferences > privacy > show cookies. Delete only the cookies marked as "Encrypted connections only").

What if you visit the site and it doesnt have "marked as SECURE/Encrypted connections only" It has JSESSIONID, WT_FPC, and a couple of Apache... is that good or bad :s

22. robert

Bank Of Scotland - PASS

Didnt even need to delete any cookies. As soon as I closed the Bank of Scotland tab, and then reopened it, I was logged out.

23. druck Silver badge
    Unhappy

Widespread

Out of 10 banking an investment sites I've logged in to, only one is even using cookies set to "secure connections only", the rest are all "any connection", so I suspect the problem is extremely widespread.

24. Prashant Kerai
    Thumb Up

Lloyds TSB - PASS

(whew)

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Halifax (UK) - FAIL

(Assuming I'm following the guidelines correcly - there weren't any cookies marked as secure)

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh come on

This is a man in the middle attack run on a local network, you can do far more than nab cookies to sites.

And it is amusing people don't understand how cookies work, Lou Montulli is probably spinning in his grave (ok he is not dead, well not that I know off), but the mechanism has been in for ages to only transmit over a secured channel.

And you would have thought with all this phorm business, people would have looked into how they were handling their cookies, but a lot of folks use frameworks and obviuosly people who don't know what they are doing have been building those.

It is a little bit of a storm in a teacup, but the fix is so trivial, it is called not hiring cowyboy coders.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

German Commerzbank, Volkswagenbank Pass , but ...

... it's not only your bank account. ebay.co.uk fails as does ebay.de

28. Tim Parker
    Thumb Up

HSBC (UK) - Pass

Nuff z

29. Rob Parsons
    Happy

Lloyds TSb passes, I think

Couldn't do that on Firefox for some reason, but the cookie manager in Opera says Lloyds TSB's online service cookies are secure.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's another way...

There's one safe way to secure our online bank accounts...don't have them online!

We've managed perfectly well for many years without online accounts.

Think I'll put up with the slight increase in inconvenience by using a bricks and mortar bank account.

31. This post has been deleted by its author

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

barclays... FAIL

Konqueror reports all cookies as ... "Secure: No".

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

First Direct - pass?

In FF3, didn't see any encrypted cookies etc, but deleted the many other new ones related to the session, then clicked on a button in the banking window - immediately booted right out...

Anonymous as I don't want anyone to know who I bank with!

34. blah
    Thumb Down

Royal Bank Of Scotland - Fail

Just rang them, and was told "we are aware of it" without me even saying what the issue was??

35. David Hayes
    Thumb Up

HSBC (UK) - Pass

Thankfully they get something right!

36. Steve Sherlock

LloydsTSB - Pass

I feel somewhat relieved, but then I remember I'm in court with the gits and it all comes crumbling down again :p

37. Steve Sherlock

(Bubble Burst) Student Finance website is wiiiiiiiiiiide open. FAIL

Just tried out the student finance site which is full of lots of lovely personal info, and they're as open as.. (on the internet, must keep clean...) a really, really, really wide open thing. *cough*

38. V
    Thumb Up

Gnatwest

Gnatwest - OK

(they did something right for a change!)

39. Charles Green
    Thumb Up

Citibank - PASS

From the US, anyway.

40. Charles Green
    Thumb Up

TD Ameritrade - PASS

TD Ameritrade passes after removing secure cookies from 'ameritrade' and 'tdameritrade' domains.

41. Robin Layfield
    Thumb Down

Co-operative Bank - FAIL

boohoo... no secure cookies. gonna report it now

42. DZ-Jay

USAA.com - FAIL

Damn! not a Secure Cookie in sight!

-dZ.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Man in the Middle

If you use an external proxy server you could easily be vulnerable to a Man in the Middle attack, but then if you're accessing sensitive sites via this method, you should step away from your PC.

Of course, there is the additional problem of the ubiquitious "transparent caches" employed by some ISPs, also.

I noticed that at least one person commenting above didn't understand the instructions properly, btw.

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Co-op bank - FAIL

I see no "secure connection only" cookies after logging in to the co-op bank website, so presumably they're vulnerable.

Curiously Halifax do send one "secure only" cookie, however removing it doesn't cause the session to close so presumably it's one of the "any type of connection" cookies that actually matters.

Pathetic. Let's see how long it takes them all to fix it.

45. Roger Heathcote
    Thumb Up

Nice hack

That's a clever little hack, goes to show there's no easy way to check your balance on the coffee shop's free wifi connection. Have to admit I didn't know about secure cookies until I read this, I'd start using SSL on all my sites if certs were a whole lot cheaper :-)

46. Len Goddard
    Thumb Down

Cahoot (part of abbey)

Flooded me with cookies but none were marked as secure.

Deleting the cookies logged me out.

47. Brian Miller

RBS fail...ish

Royal bank of scotland fails for the login but now requires the use of crazy encrypto calc to do any sort of transfers outside of your own accounts.

So, someone could come in and transfer money between my own accounts, but would not be able to set up direct debits, transfer to someone else's account etc.

Not great, but at least its something. Just in time too. This is brand new,

48. Hunter Chisholm
    Thumb Up

National City - PASS

So does American Express - pass

49. lIsRT

Alliance & Leicester - PASS?

I see the 2nd comment above, but logging in to https://www.mybank.alliance-leicester.co.uk/index.asp it seems like a PASS, it *always* asks for my PIN anyway, so I'm not sure if that means it was safe already.

50. Nigel Callaghan
    Thumb Up

Abbey Business - PASS

...if I did it right.

51. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Student, SBS RWW, and bank sites fail

Synovus Online Access - FAIL

(which feeds a plethora of small, home-town banks) has all of its cookies set as "any connection."

Chase - PASS

auth-user-info cookie set as encrypted only.

AT&T Wireless - FAIL

ALL cookies set as "any connection"

Sprint PCS - FAIL

ALL cookies set as "any connection"

Outlook Web Access (2003) - PASS

Removing the encrypted cookie kills the session

SBS 2003 Remote Web Workplace - FAIL

ALL cookies set to "any connection"

campus.fsu.edu (BlackBoard) - FAIL

Removing encrypted cookies (even an unencrypted by accident) retains the session.

Nelnet (Student loan handler) - BIG FAIL

Not only are all cookies set for "any connection," but all form fields used to retrieve forgotten account information are auto-complete.

Wells Fargo Financial - FAIL

ALL cookies set to "any connection"

GE Money Bank (statementlook.com) - PASS

Removing the encrypted cookie results in dead session and error.

That is all.

52. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@Steve Sherlock

Shame on the lack of a Paris icon.

Also, Halifax fails. As do Nationwide, Alliance and Leicester, Bank of Nova Scotia, Bank of America, Barclays, eBay and Bubble Burst Finance according to above posts (Summary for those too lazy to look through the list...)

Paris because Steve missed an opportunity...

53. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Title shmitle

Royal Bank of Scotland - PASS

Paypal .co.uk - PASS (gasp!)

Ebay .co.uk - FAIL

It's been said that this is "a storm in a teacup" etc but many people may have to use networks of questionable security/ integrity & this kind of problem really should be eliminated during development.

54. A J Stiles
    Stop

What's the attraction of banking websites anyway?

I have only ever visited a bank for one of three reasons; which are, in descending order of frequency: To draw out cash via the hole-in-the-wall machine; to pay in cash or cheques via the hole-in-the-wall machine; or occasionally to grovel to a bank manager and ask for an extension to my overdraft, pretty please with brass knobs on.

TTBOMK none of these functions are replicable via a web browser!

I can't even pay my home energy bills via the internet, as there is no such thing as a home recharging device for electricity keys or gas cards.

55. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

@ RotaCyclic

When you live out of town and work a full 9-5:30 day there is little you can do with a 'bricks and mortar' bank until the weekend. I am a digital generation member and I do everything online, shopping, banking, voting, council tax, etc, etc

There is no need to add extra cost to my already massive fuel bills to trapse into a chav-infested cesspool of a town just to check I have funds to buy something sucking time away from my precious weekend. Yes we managed for years but online banking (and shopping, and council services, et al) makes it so much easier and quicker and I'm less likely to get stabbed by chavs or mauled by their mixbreed dogs or monitored on CCTV or weashed away in a flash flood or happy slapped or given a torch that each night takes to a magical world.

I'd still maintain I'm less likely to have my details stolen online than by someone watching over my shoulder while I input my pin, by using an altered cashpoint or someone going through my rubbish.

nuff said?

56. Luther Blissett

@Stu

Oh, how the middle classes suffer. (Not in silence). But at least the Grauniad spells words correctly these days - I'm told. Doubtless you'll be warm this winter, as you ponder whether to vote for the other lot next time, mindful they will start rolling back nu labour's jobs-for-the-boys-and-girls schemes, so exacerbating your fears in proportion to the number of unemployed.

Now, back to those dunces called banks, that have found yet another way to fuck things up..

57. Mike

@Stu

Do you live near Ipswitch? Personally I can't wait to be immersed in a virtual fantasy world so I never have to leave my house either, the real world is so distatesful.

I was at a cash machine the other day, it had a little sticker which said "who's looking over your shoulder?" so I had a look.... oooh it's me....

58. blah
    Thumb Up

credit to RBS

Fixed within half a day

59. Mike Morris
    Unhappy

COMCAST - FAIL

This is for email and account management. Both have the secure cookie, both ignore it's deletion.

Cheers,

Mike

60. This post has been deleted by its author

61. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You ain't got no cookies.

My bank hasn't let me log in since yesterday, it says 'cookies must be enabled' even though they are. Same deal from multiple computers. Maybe they broke it whilst trying to fix it. Anyways, I should probably call them.

62. jorb

Barclays Fail - I think

I use barclays online banking and both the cookies are set to "use any type of connection" which I think is a fail. However barclays also use a token generator so maybe this offsets things.

A follow up article for less technical readers would be helpful, along with a list of the sites that are a proven problem. I cut code for a living, but I'm not a net guru.

Thanx

J.

63. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

It's a right mess indeed

But I think if I got my account emptied because of this I'd expect the bank to refill it again without too much of a quibble. It's hardly my fault if their security is pathetic.

64. Remy Redert

For those in the Netherlands, Postbank - pass

Didn't even bother to check for cookies, it only ever stores username in one and flat out refuses to remember a session. As soon as you close the browser tab/window you are once more logged out.

65. Alan W. Rateliff, II
    Thumb Down

Walgreens - FAIL

All cookies are allowed over any connection type. And this site handles medical information. For shame.

66. Dr Wheetos
    Stop

What's the deal?

> CookieMonster then injects images from insecure (non-https) portions of the protected website

So that means the vulnerability exists only if the secure site makes an http request. If the site always sends https, including requests for images and other resources, then there is no vulnerability. Agreed this would require a full scan of the site to ensure it was fully secure though.

There are loads of sites that accept usernames and passwords over an http connection before going to SSL, e.g. web mail apps.

Stop - because we need to think not panic.

67. James Butler

2 Notes

1) If one must use cookies (instead of SESSIONS) to retain state then use cookies only for very basic, overview-type stuff. Force any transactions to be session-based, and require a secondary login using vendor-supplied credentials. I submit that using cookies of any kind for anything on a sensitive site is foolish.

2)

It is amusing that the source shows the following: There are only two conditions under which the injection will be attempted. First, if the packet is part of a request for an HTML resource, and second if the request is being made (for any type of data) by MSIE:

# Check accept types for html (Avoid xml, rss, img, etc)

if "accept" in req.headers and \

"text/html" in req.headers["accept"] or \

"MSIE" in user_agent:

Righteous.

68. Marc
    Thumb Up

Commonwealth Bank = PASS!

Commbank in Australia seemed to be fine

Anon because you don't need to know who I bank with :)

69. Steve Sherlock
    Paris Hilton

Security "in the open"

For those who mentioned the times you have to use networks of questionable ethics (internet cafe or what not) if you get a half decent router at home you should be able to set up dial-in VPNs on it.

Set up a VPN on your laptop or what not and tell it to use the VPN as the default gateway (which is the default iirc) and fire it up when you're on questionable networks.

Works a treat for me :D

(And I guess I'll take this belated opportunity to use the paris icon)

70. Darren Lovell
    Coat

Now me eat credit card!

Om nom nom nom!

Mine's the one with the blue fur and the googly eyes.

71. Duncan Parkes
    Unhappy

smile - FAIL

I'm not smiling.

72. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

US Bank - FAIL

US Bank set 0 of 3 cookies to 'Encrypted connections only'

73. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RBC Canada pass

Type your comment here — plain text only, no HTML

74. jerry stone
    Thumb Up

Bank of Nova Scotia Canada passed for me , scotiaonline asked me to log

on again once cookies were deleted

75. Robin
    Thumb Down

President's Choice Financial (Canada) fails.

All cookies sent are set for Any Connection.

Tested this and contacted the bank who sent me back a nice form letter about using secure procedures. They didn't mention using Windows is insecure.

Well I decided to go public.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like