back to article Canada says yes to net neutrality – and no to Trump advisor, eh?

Canada's comms watchdog has come out strongly in favor of net neutrality – despite efforts by one of the Trump Administration's key telecoms advisors to tip the scales in the other direction. The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) ruling on Thursday extends the Canadian government's protections …

1. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Canada, eh.

Aside from the lack of palm trees, it's mostly nice.

1. Jeffrey Nonken

Re: Canada, eh.

"...lack of palm trees..."

You say that like it's a bad thing.

:) Depends on what you grew up with, I guess. I prefer deciduous myself.

2. Robert Moore
    Pint

Proud Canadian

Proud to be a Canadian today. Well. Every day, really.

Plus Bob and Doug Mckenzie, you gotta love those hosers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Proud Canadian

Don't forget Alex, Geddy & Neil

2. Hollerithevo

Re: Proud Canadian

Flying the maple leaf here in this backwater outpost (London UK). And about to celebrate 150 years of Canuckian goodness.

3. israel_hands

It's a good ruling and what I really admire about it is that the ruling spells out exactly why allowing zero-rating/dismantling net-neutrality is such a bad idea. Beautiful, now anyone can be easily referred to a straight-forward explanation of why keeping net neutrality is so important.

Not surprised to see Facebook lobbying against it as they've obviously decided they're big enough to absorb what would end up being another operating cost (paying to secure zero-rating deals) in order to ensure they can push their shitfest onto everyone's device.

It also shows neatly what the eventual effect of removing net neutrality is (and something that is consistently ignored by the likes of Donald Trump and Andrew Orlowski) that it will just become another income stream for the ISPs and effectively a tax on content producers which will inevitably get passed on to their customers to foot the bill.

The flipside of that is that once the big boys are paying their tithe to the ISP, anyone who can't afford to pay will be strangled out of their market with their traffic speeds throttled to the point where nobody can be bothered to wait for their site to load.

4. StuartMil

If Canada keep defying the T.Rump on critical issues like this... how long until the Joint Chiefs are instructed to implement the "invade Canada" plans?

1. Suricou Raven

America tried that back in 1812. They lost.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"America tried that back in 1812. They lost."

Yeees... Only it wasn't a war awith Canada as such, as Canada wasn't Canada yet, but a part of the British Empire. But the British did quite well actually, and even managed to burn down The White House. Well, I suppose even a special relationship has several stages to go through.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> British did quite well actually, and even managed to burn down The White House

Most of those who did the burning were freed slaves fighting under Cockburn....

2. Hollerithevo

War of 1812 made Canadians realise they were a people apart

The 1812 war made Canadians realise they weren't Americans (for sure -- Ben Franklin saying Canada wouldl be liberated whether they wanted to be or not rather stamped history with American's Special Attitude and set up the British North American people's backs) and yet they weren't British, they were something else -- people with a different experience of being a colonial, with a different experience of being in this 'new land'. We included the Quebecois, who were (comparatively) ancient people, and we already had great networks into the west and north, through the fur trade, while the USA was penned up on the eastern seaboard. The 1812 war made Canadians realise that we had a more in common with the rest of the BNA than with the united states south of us. And in 1867, partly in fear that the huge standing Union army would be found work for idle hands my an invasion north, we peacefully and cooperatively created our own country. Were there evils and errors? Of course -- the Metis were oppressed and let's not talk about John D MacDonald's genocidal wishes for the First Nations, but I think the consciousness raised in 1812 has lived on: working together, working in peace, is always better.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, USA will just build a wall to keep those damned Canadian neutral data packets on the other side of the border, and will make Canada pay for it!

3. TheBBG

Watch John Candy's "Canadian Bacon", dated but right on.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@TheBBG - Since you mentioned it just before I could to do it

all that's left for me is to give you an up-vote.

6. Eddy Ito

Hmm, now I'm wondering what it would cost to run an optic to Canada and plug in there. Pity I'm so far from the border. Wait, does anyone know Mexico's stance?

7. Winkypop Silver badge

O Canada

Better, just always better.

8. John Smith 19 Gold badge

Canada has a number of pleasing features.

Pleasant scenery, much of which you've already seen if you've seen many US TV series.

US standards of living (in big cities)

European levels of crime.

An apparently higher "Social IQ" or to put it another way a lower proportion of Aholes.

And now it seems a sensible policy on net neutrality.

9. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    IT Angle

And for fans of internet history let us not forget Henry Spencer

Who was one of the few people who was actually archiving this stuff when people thought the thing to do with usenet postings was to delete them after a few months.

And in person a very nice guy.

10. JaitcH
    Happy

The Problem Living Next to a Self-Centred, Selfish Country is that . . .

it takes little notice of other objections or interests . . . unless it's to their benefit.

Often the USA sets a technical standard and Canada has to adopt it because the majority of Canadians live within 100-200 kilometres of the southern boarder. Whether it's TV standards, automobile regulations, rail transportation or things such as spectrum assignments, the USA is there pushing their case over all others.

With the present regime that occupies the White House you have the added element of outright lies. For example, the Orange Orang-Utan said last week that Canada was blocking milk sales. The fact is Wisconsin has more milking cows the the WHOLE of Canada and that it's portion of the Quebec market is 75%. We don't need any more chemical laden milk.

Canada and the USA are distinct cultures - think guns or Americans hunting animals from helicopters - just as the Brits are distinctly different from Greece or France.

The USA has always had it's hassles with people's whose name is Trudeau, and it is good to see that Justin is a chip off the old block. Pierre Trudeau was independent and it served we Canadians well,

Soutien à l'indépendance!

11. Tim Ryan

Ajit Pai!

Just where did Trump find this bozo. Or more to the point who paid him to appoint this slimy excuse for a human being.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like