back to article This story is no more

Story no longer published.

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Magani
    Facepalm

Whoops...

Anyone else have a brainfart moment and read this as:-

...orbiting a red dwarf star in the constellation of Cletus.

Don't think I'd be wanting to visit somehow.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

40ly is practically next door

Sure, it's a huge distance by everyday standards, and we won't be able to get any probes over there any time soon, but as interstellar distances go, that's practically a next-door neighbour, and it'll be MUCH easier to investigate that system with our telescopes than ones hundreds or thousands of ly away.

I look forward to further news on LHS 1140!

3. Timmy B

Why?

Why is this important? What issues does it actually address and what does it do to improve the lives of actual living people here?

4. Axman

I don't get it

Why do exobiologist/astroboffins insist on the 'goldilocks zone' thing. We are, after all, talking about alien life. The rulebook doesn't state that alien life must have DNA as a base code, it doesn't insist that the temperature should be like an average day on the beach at Brighton, or that water has to be involved, does it.

I'm not just talking extremophiles here (which we know can and do exist on our own planet), but exoticophiles - things like bugs that use solvents other than water, thingymajigs that operate at cryogenic temperatures utilising superfluidity and superconductivity, gassy bags of ephemeral catalysts floating in Jupiter like skies, organised magneto-creatures feeding off of a star's chromosphere... I could go on and on and on

5. Known Hero
    Holmes

This story is no more

Well now I'm curios !!!!!

1. A K Stiles

Re: This story is no more

I thought that was just a particularly great click-bait headline... apparently not!

6. CAPS LOCK

Gone!

What did I miss?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Gone!

Something like the end of the universe collapsing, starting with the removal of the written word.

7. oomwat

Cache FTW

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:cktStK114yIJ:https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/19/404/+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-b

8. Chronos
    Alien

Nothing to see here...

Your exoplanet resident overlords appreciate your co-operation.

9. Paddy 2
    Coat

Re: This story is no more

... and neither is this comment.

(grabs coat)

10. frank ly

Ah, Memories

I read the story when it was here, in all its glory. It didn't last long but it burned brightly. Maybe it used up all of its fuel?

11. King Jack
    Pirate

The End is Nigh

Nibiru has been found, so to keep the conspiracy theorists happy the story is hushed up. You didn't read it here.

This topic is closed for new posts.