back to article Zuckerberg: Escape from the real world into my goofy make-believe science-fiction fantasy

Amid the fallout over the killing of an elderly man broadcast via Facebook on Sunday, CEO Mark Zuckerberg declared, "Our next focus is building community." Facebook's approach to this civic construction project involves superimposing graphic effects on real-world images through augmented reality (AR) tools. Speaking at the F8 …

1. SkippyBing

Well I'm officially old because that all just sounds like a massive waste of time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe not.

What would your younger self honestly have thought about this?

I know teenage me would have raged about corporate control, the spectacle, bread and circuses, and quoted from dystopian novels that I didn't yet understand as well as I thought I did.

1. Trilkhai

Teenage me would've filed it mentally under "mindless junk my more airheaded peers waste their time & energy on as if they'll be kids forever, instead of honing a talent, volunteering, or doing other things that will actually matter in the long run."

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I wonder

If Zuckerberg has ever had a deep thought in his life. So far, looks like not.

1. 404
        Flame

Re: I wonder

I thought it was cute that he only eats meat that he's killed - proves he's a real alpha male... <can't say it with straight face lmao>. Now, I've found fresh killed meat great on hunting trips, leftovers for later, but in day-to-day, it's just too time-consuming an activity to be a daily ritual.

I thought Zuckerberg was a Greatest Compassionate and Understanding Neighbor anyone could ever have when he tried to buy out his surrounding neighbors in California and sicced lawyers on Hawaiians' ancestral land in another house purchase (beautiful lava wall around place too) - just stands to reason Mr Z would consider his neighbor's mental health, all those dying animal screams/howls at breakfast, lunch, dinner, and those occasional nights he feels peckish...

Those are the odder things he's doing in his personal life, as well as doing a state to state 'listening tour' for a possible US Presidential run in 2020... I've never liked him, even back when folks asked me what FB was, I told them it was a college thing... Now it's a fucking monster with the power to dick with any viewpoint that doesn't conform to their Outrage of the Day/Month/Election.

1. bazza Silver badge

a possible US Presidential run in 2020

Oh no, surely not. A fool and his money will soon be parted... Still, probably not worse than the current incumbent.

What is it with non-politicians with money and ambition that makes them want to be President? Surely the events of 2017 are an illustration of how little power the President actually has (just as well really). Why would anyone sane want to get into that job?

As a matter of interest, wouldn't he have to quit Facebook before running?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

As a matter of interest, wouldn't he have to quit Facebook before running?

Why? As far as I can tell, Trump hasn't really divested himself from his business interests either, he seems to be raking it in via Mar-a-Lago and Trump Tower rent alone (I reckon the tax payer is paying a hefty rent for having "the President" stay there, which would also explain his aversion to using Camp David). As far as I can tell, nobody seems to be too bothered about that (or any other applicable laws, apparently) so I can't see why Zuck would face any problems there.

And, let's face it, Zuck won't need Russian help. It's only Fake News if others do it..

2. Flakk

What is it with non-politicians with money and ambition that makes them want to be President?

Outrageously inflated egos. People like Zuck, Dorsey, and their Valley pals stand on the shoulders of giants, develop novel applications at the right time, and imagine themselves gods when the cash starts flowing in (or in Dorsey's case, hemorrhaging out). They produce platforms that bank on the content of millions while selling advertisements. That's it. Evolutionary steps in Web 2.0 communication, sure, but hardly "moonshot" technology.

They may imagine themselves capable of fixing any and all of society's ills through the liberal use of technology. I think history has shown this to be a farcical line of thinking. People often prove themselves keen to use new technologies to be crappy to one another.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

How about nope?

3. Florida1920

What Zuck needs

Is augmented empathy. The Way The World Is, you're more likely to see violence than social lalala on Facebook. Did Zuck ever look at Usenet back in the day? FB needs to find ways to interdict the violent stuff faster, before they try selling Zuck's 115th dream.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What Zuck needs

What Zuck needs Is augmented empathy

As far as I'm aware, black holes tend to destroy anything that comes within range..

4. Mark 85
    Facepalm

Can someone tell me what Zuck's been smoking so I don't make that mistake? *

*Children of the '60's will probably understand this better than those of the recent past.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Smoke? I thought you guys just hung around Langley and waited for the CIA to dose you with LSD, as a wacky experiment.

1. 404

Thought that was

'The International Secret Intelligence Service'? Did it to ODIN I believe.

;)

5. Len Goddard

This guy scares me

He has so much money and media presence that people actually take his drivel seriously, which is worrying.

6. FozzyBear
    Facepalm

Might I suggest

That Zucky tests this by taking a virtual nature walk in the forest near a very real cliff.

7. Magani
    Headmaster

Dept of Corrections and Clarifications

The previous media release from Our Great Leader that stated:-

"direct brain interfaces that will eventually one day let you communicate using only your mind."

should have read:-

"direct brain interfaces that will eventually one day let us inject ads directly into your mind."

We regret any misunderstandings or inconvenience.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"direct brain interfaces that will eventually one day let you communicate using only your mind."

"direct brain interfaces that will eventually one day let us communicate with your mind."

FTFY

Who needs fake news and propaganda when you can go straight in?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Zuckenberg the high priest of the new Technocracy

In the middle ages the peasants lived lives of short brutal drudgery while the Priest class comforted them with tales of the selflessness of the saints and the life of luxury to come in the next world. The Zuckenbergs of this world serve the same purpose here. Because we buy into the product, we're all supposed to somehow identify with Zuck and hope to emulate his life style. I don't think so. Charlie Brooke and Black Mirror has a more accurate depiction of the coming virtual utopia. See also The Congress (2013).

1. Suburban Inmate
      Mushroom

Re: Zuckenberg the high priest of the new Technocracy

As soon as I read about facetard AR yesterday I couldn't help but think "Oh splendid, moar stoopid ads, which this time I can't block!"

I do use facespook, but with the equivalent of a NCB Hazmat suit, comprised of Privacy Badger, uBlock, and FB Purity. (superb extension that allows many many tweaks and modifications)

Get fscked, Zuck.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Sanctimonious Prick
    Coat

Interesting

I think some of these new features are interesting and have some potential [to benefit people].

Still, I'm not signing up. Some of the other "features" scare me, really.

icon:--------------> is it getting cold in here?

11. Chris G

Direct brain interface

Oh yeah! I can't wait to share my every thought, concious and subconcious via fartbook. I bet all of the powers that be will want backdoors into that.

1. Suburban Inmate

Re: Direct brain interface

FB *is* the backdoor... Maybe better described as a front door in this scenario?

Which, if your opinions on the tory regime are anything like mine, will soon be the only front or back door you have left in one piece.

12. wolfetone Silver badge
    Trollface

Tom from MySpace is well overdue a comeback to kick Zuckboys ass.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I prefer

communication directed by my brain with sound modulation I/O ports.

It's called talking. As in to a person in my close vicinity. Much more fun.

1. DropBear
      Facepalm

Re: I prefer

Malware infections can make you bitterly regret having such reception ports at all. I hear "wife 1.0" is truly atrocious.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The lilt of whale song

"... suggested that community bonds – a topic he wrote about in February – could be strengthened through cultural and artistic contributions, in part through AR."

Sounds a bit like "All you need is love" without the same degree of meticulous prelaunch planning.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AI

They already have it. That dead face shows it all.

Just clone the Zuck. Its cheaper.

16. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Devil

AR on Facebook Live

For when the blood splatters aren't real enough.

17. imanidiot Silver badge

"Our next focus is building community."

Not exactly. It's about controlling and tracking and shaping "community" in Facebooks favour. Because forming actual community involves actually looking people in the face.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fuck

Zuckerberk and fuck facebook for everything they stand for.

Hope i live long enough to see it crash and burn when people wake up...

1. Geriant

Re: Fuck

Absolutely agree with your Facebook sentiments, but do you REALLY aspire to immortality?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like