back to article MPs worried Brexit vote website wobble caused by foreign hackers

A committee of MPs has expressed concerns that foreign hackers might have had a hand in crashing the UK's voter registration website last year shortly before the Brexit referendum. The Public Administration Committee concluded that a foreign cyber attack remains a potential reason that the "register to vote" site crashed on 7 …

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Were the Russian foreign hackers also responsible for the DVLA and HMRC websites crashing when most of the country were trying to tax their car and pay their taxes?

At least in a post-EU Britain there will be a lot of straws to hold on to, if this story is anything to go by.

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

It'll be hacked by British hackers, or screwed up by British IT staff. None of your Johnny Foreigner hackers here. It is all about Brexit after all :-)

3. Mage Silver badge

Cabinet has ruled out intervention by foreign powers

They don't want to run Brexit vote again now that all the lies on both sides have been exposed.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Cabinet has ruled out intervention by foreign powers

all the lies

You really sure about that?

And there's me looking forward to a rerun of the good natured contest: what larks!

4. WibbleMe

First thing I would do is a add a server level GeoBlock

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not heard about using a VPN then?

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

First thing I would do is a add a server level GeoBlock

What about those of us living elsewhere who are still entitled to vote?

5. Frank Fisher

Occam's razor

Every government built website to date either attracts a hundredth of predicted concurrent visitors, or a hundred times it. They either drift on, unloved, or crash under unexpected load. This one had everyone from Obama to Geldof begging people to visit it before it closed and.... it crashed at that point. Gosh. The Russians? Or SNAFU?

Very obviously, SNAFU, and yet our hopelessly Remainiac media once again weave their fake news on top of wishful thinking and pure blind fantasy.

I feel embarrassed for them, to be honest. Leavers are meant to be the thick ones?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Occam's razor

Looks like you are getting upvotes for the 1st para and downvotes for the remainder ;-)

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I don't think gov.uk has much to learn from foreign hackers about making websites go down.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The story next door just goes to prove my point

<---

7. Robin Bradshaw

A committee of MPs has expressed concerns that schoolchild's homework might have been eaten by a dog.

I can only assume these same MP's think the entirety of google is running on a single PC like ones on their desks.

1. 's water music

A committee of MPs has expressed concerns that schoolchild's homework might have been eaten by a dog.

#FakeDogNews. Some big boys did it and ran away. Sad.

LOL jk but seriously though how did they eliminate Russel's Teapot?

I can only assume these same MP's think the entirety of google is running on a single PC like ones on their desks.

How would they fit my desktop inside the box?

1. Frank Fisher

Russel's teapot is now a samovar.

Did you see what I did there?

8. codejunky Silver badge

Well

For an hour and half outage voters got an additional 2 days (if I remember that right) to register with the additional last ditch remain campaigning to get the right answer.

9. Chris Miller

The next time one of my changes drops a server*, I'm blaming them thar pesky Rooskies.

* not that that has ever happened, and if it did, I definitely wasn't there ...

10. noddybollock
    Facepalm

Oh FFS !

Do they really have to start banging the same drum a the USoA,

STOP THIS FUCKING NONSENSE

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who is to say which way these voters would have voted anyway?

"Governments have enough technical and financial resources to create smart botnets, simulating human behavior that would be hardly distinguishable from legitimate website visitors."

Not the UK government, they don't even understand how encryption works.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

how encryption works

Isn't is some kind of fiendish EU bureaucratic regulation nonsense?

12. Miss Lincolnshire

Quelle Surprise

Post Brexit vote Britons blame it all on bloody foreigners.....

Thank God, an Englishmen of course, that we aren't just a pathetic bunch of past dwelling, post Empire xenophobes with a jumped up opinion of our own importance.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like