back to article SWIFT on security: Fresh anti-bank-fraud defenses now live

Inter-bank data comms biz SWIFT says it has introduced mechanisms to better protect money transfers from tampering. We're told the fresh defenses will make it easier for banks to track movements of money. The payment controls are part of SWIFT's Customer Security Programme, a set of mandatory IT and physical security …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not much of a 'Society' more like a faceless corporate.

* Its very tricky to find banks that fully understand Swift fees, and Swift go out of their way to make it difficult for consumers to contact them.

* It costs 31.50 approx Eur to send money overseas outside Euro-zone (plus of course the real cost which is the actual negotiated FX rate).

* But its not generally possible to send money from source bank to destination bank directly, so an intermediary must be involved who in-turn charges a commission (not fixed fee).

* Then there's the charges if the transaction is rewound (deal / purchase) falls through. This isn't 100% equal to the money transferred out, it actually costs more, but banks I've used can't explain why.

* There's no clear info on the net to explain these charges, just casual talk on Expat forums. Its not Transparent: Anyone found a way to contact Swift?

1. dave 93

Re: Not much of a 'Society' more like a faceless corporate.

Which is why new fintech companies like Transferwise are eating their lunch in consumer area. Forex trough is getting smaller, and moving to EU...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'new fintech companies like Transferwise are eating their lunch in consumer area.'

For sure... But the thought of entrusting something big like an overseas apartment purchase to an upstart fintech competitor doesn't sit right with a lot of people... That's where the old guard banks and the FIAT money system always get their cake!

2. anothercynic Silver badge

To be clear, SWIFT's customers (and owners) are the banks, not you, the man on the street. That's why they are a 'cooperative society' (as per Belgian law); they operate for the benefit of their members.

If anyone is being difficult on telling you what the SWIFT fee for a transfer is, it'll be your bank (possibly because they know they're taking you for a ride). Other banks, like HSBC, are very clear on the costs of a financial transfer between countries. For example, HSBC's SEPA payments (the EU-wide money transfers) are free online, the SWIFT transfers, used outside the SEPA area, can be £4-7 (and that's come down from £14 or so).

That *excludes* any fees the receiving bank charges their customer for receiving international payments (or any commission they charge on the resulting FOREX conversion). Yes, some banks are still assh*les like that (especially in Africa where hard foreign currency is like gold dust).

And then there is of course the case that not all banks choose to be part of the SWIFT system, and thus have to use an intermediary who *is*. Of course that intermediary wants a cut... you think they do it for free? Please. These are banks. *NOTHING* is for free.

3. Danny 2

https://www.swift.com/contact-us

6th floor, The Corn Exchange

55 Mark Lane

London EC3R 7NE

Tel: +44 20 7762 2000

2. dave 93
    Unhappy

Misleading title

I assumed your story was referring to @SwiftOnSecurity Twitter account with 180k followers, including El Reg. Not cool.

3. JCitizen
    Coffee/keyboard

Already there.

I think my credit union already has something like this, because if any thing is phishy about a transaction I'm doing, they call me on the check out counter's phone to see what is going on. I love that kind of system - what ever it is!!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Shadow Brokers Release New Batch of Files Containing Windows and SWIFT Exploits

"On Good Friday and ahead of the Easter holiday, the Shadow Brokers have dumped a new collection of files, containing what appears to be exploits and hacking tools targeting Microsoft's Windows OS and evidence the Equation Group had gained access to servers and targeted the SWIFT banking system of several banks across the world." link

1. Danny 2

Re: Shadow Brokers Release New Batch of Files Containing Windows and SWIFT Exploits

EastNets is a third-party umbrella group for banks who don't have their own in-house SWIFT accounts for some reason or other, so it's not SWIFT itself that's been hacked. EastNets have no more access to the SWIFT network than any other client.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like