back to article In case you had forgotten, broadband body warns of risks Brexit poses to sector

An industry group for the broadband sector has listed the risks facing the telecommunications sector following Brexit, including the impact on roaming charges, free movement of labour and European investment, in a report published today [PDF]. The paper, titled Implications of Brexit on the Digital Communications Sector, by …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What?

I didnt know we imported our broadband. Can someone clarify for me...does conventional broadband come on the ferry and fibre come on the Eurotunnel?

Or is it a case of the faster broadband being loaded on the front of the boat so it can get out quicker?

At least now I know I know why upload is always slower than download. It always takes longer clearing passport control going out than coming back.

1. Thought About IT

Here's What!

"Recommendations include keeping an alignment with European State Aid policy, offsetting a potential shortfall in funding for rural broadband networks, the possibility of state funding for a Universal Service Obligation, and a reciprocal agreement with the EU for UK consumers to continue to benefit from mobile roaming prices."

Of course, pulling out of Europe means we will no longer have a say in future changes to those policies, or the implementation of new ones. Economic survival means we'll just have to do what they say. That's what Brexiters call taking back our Democracy.

1. maffski

Re: Here's What!

It also means we'll might no longer be bound by these policies.

Perhaps the BSG is of the opinion that EU bureaucrats are more likely to provide an opportunity to extract a rent. '..State Aid... ...offsetting a potential shortfall in funding... ...state funding for...'

1. BebopWeBop
          Facepalm

More amenable than Whitehall and Westminster - pull the other one

2. Len
        Holmes

The UK has been able to reduce the size of the state over the last few decades by outsourcing many things to EU level where they can be sorted for all 28 member states in one go. The Brexit process is now throwing a spanner in the works. So far 35 different agencies, bodies and institutions have been identified that the UK will need to set up in order to set its own standards from food safety and aviation oversight to drugs approval and environmental protection.

Given the outlook for the UK's finances for the next decade or so I very doubt the Government will want to spend the money on setting all those organisations up from scratch. That means the most efficient way will be to just keep on following the regs and policies set up by the existing EU bodies and implement them in the UK. And I suspect that that is exactly what will happen.

1. Lars Silver badge
          Happy

"And I suspect that that is exactly what will happen." Exactly, and any all British "regs and policies" are totally worthless in the rest of the world for British export. Importing to higher or lower standards is all you can change. and still a trade agreement might not allow that either. The woman who says she "wants a trade agreement" will have to wake up and learn to understand the meaning of the word "agree".

PS. I don't much agree with the "by outsourcing many things to EU level" there was quite some competition for those agencies, bodies and institutions and I have no doubt the Brits shed a large amount of tears, like other EU countries.

2. LeahroyNake

Blame it on Brexit

It wouldn't surprise me if multinationals upped their prices because Brexit. Oh hang on we already pay over the odds for most things if you go back to the exchange rate USD to GBP that just does not pan out in the real world.

Thank goodness we stuck with the £ and don't have to deal with changing our currency!

3. seven of five

No matter the outcome

I´m so sick of it, Brexit here, brexit there, prancing round like a fat lady. Whatever will be the result will be the result, now get bloody lost (or rich oder poor or whatever, just get over it.).

Sorry lads.

1. H in The Hague

Re: No matter the outcome

"just get over it"

Sorry, it doesn't work like that. Those of us who run businesses (not you I presume) now have to deal with a massive amount of uncertainty. Uncertainty about export markets, uncertainty about the regulatory regime. But certainty that the UK's likely to lose a voice in setting regulations and technical standards while its industries still have to comply with them. I.e. loss of control, not taking back control. Somehow I doubt that's going to make us all more prosperous and successful, but I might be wrong. It's also going to take a massive amount of time and energy which would have been better spent developing new products, supporting the NHS or simply going for a ramble.

1. seven of five

Tremendously sorry. Your country, your government, your vote. The majority of those who bothered to actually vote wanted to leave - well, that is democracy for you.

Now cut up the bitching and whining about how bloody expensive and difficult this all is going to be. Schould have moaned before the vote.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agree. We all had a nice drink together. If you then decide to leave to go home and watch "Those Great Victorian Inventors", feel free to do so. No use moaning that we should also leave. Don't keep going on about that we should watch the same program as you. Or that the price of a pint will be higher next time you come around. And please, don't be angry with us that we enjoy the company, stay, and have some more beers. After all, you made your decision, which is your privilege, but life goes on. We do, even after you told us you love the beer, but actually don't like us that much. Oh, and please have to decency to pay you part of the bill before you get out of the door. Free binging is kind of rude...

3. MyffyW Silver badge

Brexit: I would love to "just get on with it" but it's a tad more difficult than just going home early from the pub. And the problem with working out the bill is nobody will own up to having had the extra naan bread.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Det är måndag morgon och mitt huvud känns så tungt.

Povel Ramel, The Gräsänklings Blues, The Grass Widower's Blues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-ou6eTvLUY&index=14&list=PLE7WeLZpjjUzi6Qt-vybGwB8IGJDm5UzP

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

color me shocked!

industries that benefit from EU membership complain about problems after losing it.

Like people getting free 3 months of premium channels with their cable b*tch when that gets taken away.

5. streaky

Fake News.

"It noted the UK has integrated over 40 years of European regulation and has benefited from access to the EU Single Market."

Unproven, data suggests otherwise, go next. Yawn, this is getting old, fast.

Article summary: bunch of people who don't know how the internet works or technical standards are developed moan about Brexit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like