back to article How's that for a remote login? NASA puts New Horizons probe to sleep 3.5 billion miles away

NASA's New Horizons spacecraft – right now 3.5 billion miles (5.6 billion kilometres) from Earth – has been powered down by boffins as it heads out to the icy wastes of the Kuiper Belt. The probe, which was launched in 2006 and gave humanity its first close-up images of Pluto in July 2015, was sent shutdown commands on Friday …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

"was sent at less than 2Kbps."

Comcast for the cosmos? (OK, cheap shot at Comcast, but you know they deserved it.)

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: "was sent at less than 2Kbps."

And it's only as fast as 2Kbps if they keep powering it off and on again.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Go

Yes, NASA is dressing up rebooting their Comcast cable modem as some kind of scientific procedure :)

2. MyffyW Silver badge

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a van full of tapes probe full of data....

2. The Nazz

Talk Talk

Should have been sent by Talk Talk, that way we'd know for sure that aliens exist when they simply tune in and grab all the key data.

Ooooh, anyone else getting a CSNY Deja Vu moment?

3. veti Silver badge

"Send a test tweet back to mission control"?

Kudos to NASA, for incorporating that feature on a probe launched six months before Twitter itself.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Denarius

the data speed

2Kbs. Can they do my internet ? I wish I was being sarcastic.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: the data speed

Ow how nice. A boffin sleeping between two russian oscillographs. But the manual in front is one on operating electric motor rotor weaving machines..

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: the data speed

In the days of ASR33s & 35s that speed was almost unimaginably fast.

6. jonfr

Download speed at this distance

The download speed at this distance is around 0.9Kbps at best. I don't know the upload speeds for the commands and software. Currently the lag time is around 5 hours one way or 10 hours both way. Voyager is around 15 hours out one way (I think).

I did find this information on New Horizon communications.

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2015/01300800-talking-to-pluto-is-hard.html

1. rsole

Re: Download speed at this distance

I suspect the difference between the download speed and data speed are solely due to compression of the data.

2. DropBear
      Trollface

Re: Download speed at this distance

At that kind of lag, I certainly hope they didn't forget how to turn on local echo (I know I did)...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Which reminds me

This kind of news reminds me that while I do not have a flying car or a 20hr work week I am alive in the 21st century.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Which reminds me

If you substract the time spend? wasted? on checking / posting on Facebook, Twitter and so on from their nominal work time, you'll find that a lot of people do have a 20hr work week.

8. akeane
    FAIL

sudo shutdown -h now

Oh, I meant '-r'

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: sudo shutdown -h now

> Oh, I meant '-r'

A low blow, sir or madam, especially as my psychiatrist assured me it was simple accident anyone could make, unfortunately repeated.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
        Happy

Re: sudo shutdown -h now

No problem, just send a few Wake-On-Telescope magic packets, and wait for 10 hours to see if it worked.

If not, dispatch a low-ranking tech onsite... oh!

9. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Pint

The download rate is basically set by the power supply

Currently an RTG.

By Dec (hopefully) NASA will be well into its Kilopower project. The first US designed space rated nuclear reactor since 1965. This will be be a complete 1Kw (except for the radiator design) but the design can scale to 10Kw. Enough to power a substantial ion thruster.

Amazingly the current RTG's cost about $240m a pop for <500W BOL power. Kilopower is expected to be 40% cheaper and the US has substantial stockpiles of its fuel already, unlike the Pu240, which is proving to be an expensive PITA to make.

Kilopower is the reactor formerly know as KRUSTY (KilopweR Using STirling technologY) and follows up on the original DUFF PoC a few years ago.

Sot he next generation of outer planet probes might get there faster and report their results faster as well.

Now I'll be going down to Mo's later to raise an arm for that.

1. annodomini2

Re: The download rate is basically set by the power supply

I do find it amusing all these articles "US needs to make more Plutonium for RTGs", there's probably tons of the stuff at Sellafield.

1. DuncanL

Wikipedia is your friend...

"Plutonium 238 must be specifically synthesized and is not abundant as a nuclear waste product."

2. Mage Silver badge

And the power supply weight seriously impacts the launch costs.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"And the power supply weight seriously impacts the launch costs."

Maybe they are predicting lower launch costs by re-using the rockets? That could be a good idea if only someone could do it.

3. cray74

unlike the Pu240, which is proving to be an expensive PITA to make.

What's Pu240 used for, the Kilopower project?

RTGs are becoming more viable again. NASA has restarted Pu238 production for RTGs and should be in the 1.5kg/year range now.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge

"unlike the Pu240, which is proving to be an expensive PITA to make."

My apologies.

That should indeed have read

""unlike the Pu238, which is proving to be an expensive PITA to make.""

Since the US insists that it be made by irradiating Neptunium to begin with (which has to be made first) yes I'd say it is a PITA.

The fuel for Kilopower is being contributed by the DoE for free as it's basically excess nuclear weapon cores, of which they have an abundance.

Roughly an RTG is about $240 each while Kilopower reactors are expected to be 30-60% cheaper, as well as being more powerful (at least double), just as reliable (heat pipe cooling to Stirling engines, which have a lot of development history) and can be set be set at idle power when in transit if they are not providing power for an ion thruster.

1. annodomini2

Re: "unlike the Pu240, which is proving to be an expensive PITA to make."

Think there is an error with your numbers there, $240 for an RTG?

"Think there is an error with your numbers there, $240 for an RTG?"

If only.

That was indeed wrong. It was correct in my OP.

That is of course $240m

Making Pu238 however remains a massive PITA.

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Kilopower is the reactor formerly know as KRUSTY (KilopweR Using STirling technologY) and follows up on the original DUFF PoC a few years ago."

Sounds like they have a Simpsons fan on staff.

"Sounds like they have a Simpsons fan on staff."

I'd guess so.

Obviously as they've become more mainstream they've had to adopt something a bit more formal but the results they have achieved for the funds involved (DUFF was reported on El Reg in 2014 at around $64m. Peanuts by NASA's usual estimates for nuclear projects) have been astonishing.

I think the Kilopower demo is looking at a few $100m. This contrasts with the current line item for nuclear on the NASA Mars DRA 5 (the Design Reference) at $13Bn.

10. Pat Harkin

I hope they chose hibernate rather than full off

Long way to send the PFY to press the power button. Though it'll do him good to be out of the office for a while.

11. Mage Silver badge
    Alien

or crash onto the planetoid itself

While that would be regrettable, the approach telemetry would be interesting, if there was time to send it. Also it would be quite an achievement.

Close flyby is easier than hitting it! :)

Great stuff.

12. BugabooSue
    Pint

So Proud!! ...yet so sad.

It's at times like this when my heart swells with pride at what the human race can active when we try.

Then in the same moment I feel shame at the general lack of foresight amongst a vast swathe of us. The constant interference from politicians, bean-counters, flat-earthers, climate-change-deniers, the "Trumps," religious nuts, etc, makes me concerned for our future survival as a species.

I am old enough to have watched the Apollo moon landings televised live. I remember that despite the horror of the times, there was great hope for a bright future, if not amongst the stars, at least the planets.

New Horizons (and others) missions help keep my hope alive. I just hope I live long enough to see a human put a footprint on Mars.

Well done the New Horizons Team!! Have lots of beers on me!!

I am forever grateful to you.

Susi xx

13. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Coat

Can it...

...have a quick squiz for Planet IX while it's in the area?

14. Alistair
    Pint

not quite 45 years on

That I can start this off with that line makes no sense, I mean, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up, how can it have been 45 years......

I watched 11, 15 and some of 17.

I read every bit I could lay my hands on about Voyagers, and Mariners. (anyone remember Omni?)

I watched *every* televised shuttle launch. (burned vacation days when I needed to).

I probably know enough about the ISS to find my way around it if by some strange miracle I ever find myself there.

That we have Voyagers still functioning out there, That we have broken, stranded robots on Mars still talking to Nasa, That we have images of the surface of Pluto (sadly missing the frozen space suit waving at the sun) utterly astonishes me. That Nasa, ESA, ArianeSpace, SpaceX, Blue Horizon, et al are still challenging the gravity well in (sometimes) new and radical ways makes me jealous and reminds me that there is still more any of us could do.

Considering some of the crap hardware I've run into in my work life, I am blown away that they can shut this sucker down and not be utterly terrified that they'll never hear from it again.

Beers all round for the Gals and Guys that do this stuff that makes me jealous.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like