back to article Ofsted downplays site security concerns

UK school regulator Ofsted has downplayed security concerns about its website, adding that its policies will be further involved once a planned revamp is completed. El Reg learnt of the concerns from parent Oli, who approached us after failing to receive a response to his concerns either from Ofsted (Office for Standards in …

1. frank ly

The truth is out there

On the one hand:

"There is no mechanism for verifying the person providing feedback is a parent, no token or means of identifying the person, any email address can be used to sign up and the process could easily be automated," according to Oli.

On the other:

"Parents wishing to submit a review must first register with a password, verify their email address and accept the terms of use." [An Ofstead spokesman]

They sound mutually exclusive but in fact, they are not.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The same Ofsted

That expected a large rural school to build a complete security fence all the way round it at a cost of £100000 despite the fact that it is impossible to check that nobody is climbing over it. Because of course paedophiles can't climb.

If you think about it, this is exactly the same attitude.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The same Ofsted

My school had a 3m security fence installed one summer holiday. We used to climb the damn thing a dozen times a day to retrieve footballs and tennis balls.

It gave a good upper body workout, while giving the school a nice US prison aesthetic. Good times.

3. Gordon Pryra

Nothing to validate here, move along please

They probably don't see themselves as needing any security, who cares if you can verify who sent feedback if that feedback is never going to be read by anyone?

Ofstead seems to be there purely as a "we can tell the electorate that we have this covered" for whatever government is in charge.

Its not like their reports can actually be trusted

Having seen Ofstead reports from multiple schools (in some depth) you can see the varying quality's of report and weird things they seem to pick on. (one report made a comment about a teacher wearing jeans....)

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Nothing to validate here, move along please

They probably don't see themselves as needing any security, who cares if you can verify who sent feedback if that feedback is never going to be read by anyone?

A bit like the UK Gov ePetitions site prior to the soar away Brexit ePetition, where 77,000 readily identifiable fraudulent signatures had to be removed...

Which makes me think about the IoT and all those climate sensors - we don't need more reasons why we should ignore scientific data...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

From speaking to teachers I know, Ofsted are a joke organisation anyway.

A school I went to recently got a new headteacher (well a year or two ago). There was pressure from Ofsted to have it become an academy, something with the headteacher point blank refused to do. So what happens? Ofsted give it a "Needs Improvement" rating, straight from "Outstanding". Half because of his refusal to become an academy, half because he's a new headteacher. Which, aparently, means Ofsted reduce the rating by default.

The school my sister teaches in didn't receive an Ofsted inspection for a while, and when it did they were reluctant to give it a rating. Why? Well she teaches at an academy, and if her school were to lose it's Outstanding status then the authority would be without an outstanding academy in the district. Which would look awfully bad for a flagship idea introduced by the Government.

Anonymous because, well I don't want to get hit.

5. Mark Wilson

All Educational Websites

It seems to me that all educational websites practice weak to no security. My son's school recently sent us details of Mathletics, as a good parent I dutifully signed up and was gobsmacked that we are letting kids use such tripe.

Ignoring its use of Flash which is bad enough to start with, I quickly noticed that all I needed to log into the account was the copy the address which contained the session id, no password or anything. Then things got worse, after signing up for a parent account, I noticed that the username and password were there in plain text in the address bar ripe for any sniffer to pick up. Things didn't stop there however, realising that my password was now in the public domain, I went to change it in my account section only to see it there in plain text so clearly not hashed at all.

Oh and it only uses HTTPS for the sign in itself, everything else is HTTP.

I got in touch with the school who clearly got a stock response from the company behind this which ammounted to the password is sent using HTTPS so it is okay and it isn't really important anyway.

The school now knows my son will not be using this piece of garbage.

1. Roland6 Silver badge
      Pint

Re: All Educational Websites

>The school now knows my son will not be using this piece of garbage.

Is that because you have completed his coursework for him, or has he now started a small business, adjusting the coursework of others...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cool.

So I can boost the value of my house by making all the schools in the area outstanding.

This probably explains why a shit hole like Sutton has some of the best schools in the UK.

Does anybody actual give weight to Ofsted reports?

Given that the teachers know when they're going to be inspected it occurs to me that getting a good Ofsted score is pretty arbitrary since the teachers can put together amazing lessons for the day they're inspected then return to shitty lessons when the inspection is done.

1. Ucalegon
      Childcatcher

Re: Cool.

"Given that the teachers know when they're going to be inspected it occurs to me that getting a good Ofsted score is pretty arbitrary since the teachers can put together amazing lessons for the day they're inspected then return to shitty lessons when the inspection is done."

In fairness, not Reg style I know but hey it's a brave new world chock full of facts, OFSTED no longer care muchly about the detail of lessons observed on the day. They no longer grade a lesson like they used to and will be looking for long term indicators to assess "Teaching" at the school. Inspectors spend more time speaking to students, LSAs, senior leaders and looking closely at the typicality of assessments and feedback being given to students over a period of time to help grade across the subject/dept what they've just witnessed in the classroom. Was the behaviour good? Was the behaviour good for learning? Is there evidence of planning a coherent series of lessons? Are students getting consistency? Are students disengaged or enthusiastic? and so on.

As for security at schools themselves (never mind OFSTED) don't get me started....

7. Roland6 Silver badge

What are Paul Moore's security qualifications?

"There is no mechanism for verifying the person providing feedback is a parent, no token or means of identifying the person, any email address can be used to sign up and the process could easily be automated,"

"Ofsted claimed to have received 1 recording for this school but 55 (or so) parents have stated their children left recordings,"

Experienced security consultant Paul Moore downplayed Oli's concerns. "There's nothing really substantial here," Moore told El Reg. "There's no proof that any data has been lost, so far as I can see ... and although the report process could be refined, it's not exactly a security concern." "

Nice to see such complacency in a security consultant, I suppose he is okay with users using very simple passwords (Eg. 'Password1') until such time as there is proof of data loss directly arising from an unauthorised third-party using those credentials... I won't be giving him a call...

In my security experience, the providence and integrity of datasets that will be used to make business decisions, is a security concern; you can't expect the users who draw up survey's to understand the IT mechanisms necessary to ensure the data collected comes from the intended sources and only the intended sources.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: What are Paul Moore's security qualifications?

Sounds like Mr Moore is having a go at knocking over at least two of the three pillars of information security. Availability is dead in a ditch and integrity seems a bit questionable.

1. Naselus

Re: What are Paul Moore's security qualifications?

His blog is 90% dedicated to an unhealthy obsession with password vaults, and the few examples of actual infosec work he offers mostly involve him stating that he's found a security problem without giving any details on it at all ('trust me, this is broken, honest, now give me £X to fix it'). There's not a lot on offer that you wouldn't pick up from the opening day of a Sec+ course, and quite a few examples of things you'd learn are definitely NOT correct practice on the second day (Paul appears to think 2FA 'weakens security', among other things, his reasoning being that if a hacker has already compromised the account they might turn it on. This is obviously not only not how infosec works, but also not how logic works either).

So I'm a little dubious of his infosec chops too, tbh.

8. SolidSquid

"Up until now, we have opted for a non-disruptive approach, based on the 'implied consent' of users,"

Pretty sure 'implied consent' is explicitly disallowed under the rules the government passed a while back regarding storing cookies. Interesting to see the government still isn't sticking to those rules, while expecting others to

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like