back to article Gartner halves tech splash forecasts, blames the US dollar

Data druids at Gartner are defending their soothsaying abilities after being forced to halve the projected rise they forecast for global tech spending for 2017 when an expected slide in the value of the greenback didn’t materialise. “The strong US dollar has cut $67 billion out of our 2017 IT spending forecast,” said research …

1. deadlockvictim

Out of interest

How accurate do Gartner's projections tend to be?

Are they like horoscopes, where one only remembers the ones that were correct (confirmation bias?).

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Out of interest

"How accurate do Gartner's projections tend to be?"

And did they make any money on the Grand National?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Possibly .... but Gartner don't make enough correct predictions to make a case.

3. a_yank_lurker

Accurate if you believe the opposite of what they "predict". Gartner has not figured out the IT industry as a whole is a mature industry with limited growth worldwide. What is happening is some sectors are cannibalizing other sectors, if you are in the growing sector there is an illusion of rapid growth but when combined with declining sectors there is much less net growth.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The strong dollar is just their excuse for being wrong as usual.

Had the dollar weakened, they'd probably blame the weak dollar for making US companies reluctant to spend, or come up with some reason related to Trump's election or a blister on Bill Gates' toe why "we would have been right if it wasn't for X"

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Depreciating dollar?

How did they get to that? The US Federal Reserve has been promising to raise rates for some time now, which, all things being equal means financial inflows and a stronger dollar due to the carry trade if nothing else.

But, they're not that dumb. It was just the usual wishful thinking and now a vaguely plausible reason for being wrong. Elsewhere consolidation in the industry tells us all that business is slack and money is cheap.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For once I feel for Gartner

Bloody high USD is killing everyone (since World+Dog prices stutff in USD)!

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Mushroom

Who Dares Care Share Wild Wacky Wares Win Wins Big Time Mainstream?!

When the world tomorrow, and your suffering inconsequential quasi-participation in it, is planned to be created by the covering of bets and the hedging of options on a spread of predicted reactions to the media hosted tales of a badly chosen few today, is urReality indeed an AI Product and IT Virtualisation and a Greater IntelAIgent Game with CHAOS* at ITs AAA Work for REST** in Play and Plunder, Bash and Blunder. ....... and the result of intranets internetworking shared figments of imagination.

Life in LOVE*** and in the Spaces where the Future Leads are created and delivered by means and memes no more difficult or exceptional than can be reproduced with AIMastery of Simply Just That.

I Kid U Not.

Would you like to See AI and Experience IT with a World Series of Global Demonstrations .... with El Reg leading Everything for Go on Show with ITs Ways and Means and Memes?

And I Kid U Not there either, El Regers.

*Clouds Hosting Advanced Operating Systems

** REST

*** Live Operational Virtual Environments

5. Kevin Johnston

Ahh Gartner

The financial world's equivalent of the Guardian's ability to use a spellchecker

1. Grenou

Re: Ahh Gartner

My neighbour works for Gartner, he sure is weird, must be influenced by his company.. or is it the other way around..

6. DavidHolmesUK

Please fix the first paragraph!

I nearly had a heart attack when I read Gardner had been "forced to halve global tech spending projections for 2017." That would have been a $1.75Tn reduction! I was practically celebrating when I realised it was a mere $67Bn drop... I think if you insert 'growth' between spending and projections, that should do the job nicely :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like