back to article iCloud extortion racket nowhere near as epic as we thought it might be

A threat to wipe millions of supposedly compromised iCloud accounts and iPhones has yet to materialise. A security expert who has analysed samples of compromised data has concluded that the threat – such as it is – only exposes a small number of accounts to potential credential-stuffing attacks. The self-styled Turkish Crime …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

20:30 BST or GMT? I need to pre-heat my popcorn machine :-)

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

PST

This is Apple Time we are talking about

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes! Throw in UTC and I'll send you a genuine Rollex Watch! I got it from some guy, he said it was legit. I gave him my iCloud password too. Should be okay.

You know, I've not changed my iCloud passwd in some time, and it is not a unique passwd to that site, so if anyone should be out to change their iCloud passwd today, it should be me. Yet, I will not bother, because I'd like to see if these Turkish chaps have anything going for them besides chutzpah! I other words; nah, I don't think these guys can do jack shit to anyone's phone. Let alone 53k iPhones. Yeah, Turkish Credibility Family. Good guys. Big crimes. I think they once robbed a 7/11 ATM machine in Istanbul by dragging it out with a pickup truck, but ran out of gas on the way home. Very high tech. :P

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How big is the "Turkish Crime Family"?

I think I may have inadvertently funded them once in Antalya by buying some genuine hugo boss t-shirts.

As far as threats go, it's pretty weak, Apple probably have backups anyway. Then I wonder, how do all these cloud providers provide backup? How many jaz drives would that take???

1. Z80

Re: How many jaz drives would that take???

Too many. That's why they use REV drives.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: How many jaz drives would that take???

They back then up in /dev/random

Everyone's files are there, even files they haven't created yet!

The restore process takes a while though...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Wots a /dev/random?

Does anyone know wot a /dev/random is?

Microsoft Certified Engineer

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Wots a /dev/random?

Here's an analogy:-

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/sink-plunger-24879654.jpg

2. Jay 2

Yes, I'm not convinced by them either!

3. jbelkin

D'uh - with a billion+ icloud account, are there a fw idiots - of course. It's like people who shoot themselves while trying to unjam a gun - there are always idiots who can defeat safeguards.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A billion iCloud accounts?

Please say this can't be true...

One in 7 or 8 of the population of the entire planet has an iDevice or a Mac or both?

We are doomed I tell ye doomed.

4. Kaltern

I suspect this threat will not be full of eastern promise.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like