back to article US govt ceases fire in legal spat with Twitter to unmask anti-Trump 'immigration official'

Twitter and the US government's game of chicken over an anonymous anti-Trump tweeter is over before it barely began. The Department of Homeland Security today dropped its lawsuit against the social network that demanded the identity of an allegedly "rogue" immigration official blasting the president via the @Alt_USCIS account …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Quite likely the arrival of Twitter's suit was the first anyone sufficiently high in DHS's legal department had heard of it and they probably went ballistic.

1. Ole Juul

assumptions

Is there even any proof that the Twitter account in question actually belongs to an "immigration official", or even to a US citizen?

1. veti Silver badge

Re: assumptions

Nope. The whole point is that it's anonymous, and "proof" would kinda undermine that.

But so what?

2. Blotto Silver badge

Perhaps they had a chat with another tla?

They probably got the info some other way. Perhaps someone in cbp had a chat with someone in nsa or cia or fbi or some other tla we know nothing about as yet. The person behind the account may need to think carefully about what gets tweeted next. It may well be their last, unless of course some other tla is running the account putting out miss information like in homeland.

1. elDog

Re: Perhaps they had a chat with another tla?

That's awfully conspiratorial, dontchathink? However, I agree with you.

There's always a lot more to a story than the line that is put out for the press.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If that account quits tweeting then maybe, but I think it is a bit extreme to call in the FBI over something that is clearly not illegal. Let alone the CIA/NSA - many of the career staff were not very happy about being ordered to spy against citizens and the egg that was left on their faces when Snowden's revelations came to light. They certainly wouldn't be willing to risk another repeat over something as minor as unmasking an anti-Trump tweeter in the DHS' ranks!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"not illegal"

YET.............................!

3. thomn8r

They probably got the info some other way.

Rubber hose decryption

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Rubber hose decryption

Though was it a rubber hose or a big spanner in the XKCD?

4. gnasher729 Silver badge

I would say that the NSA most likely does lots of things that you and I don't like, they even might do things that can be reasonably claimed to be illegal, but I would assume that in general, they follow their purpose which is to protect US national security. Finding the identity of someone criticising the current US president and his hairpiece has clearly nothing to do with national security.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe someone asked Russia instead....

4. Paul

I think Twitter and the EFF should be able to charge the US government for their legal costs in fighting their unreasonable and illegal attempt to extract the information from Twitter.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

That, or the court should rule that the DHS was engaging in vexatious litigation.

5. Your alien overlord - fear me

I'm just surprised Trump hasn't gone on telly and shouted it's all FAKE NEWS EVERYONE, FAKE NEWS.

Or would that just validate everything Rogue 1* has said ?

* Rogue 1 of many more to come I reckon. Not in anyway affiliated with Disney, Star Wars or anything :-)

1. Sven Coenye

Rogue 2, as the Park Service went rogue months ago...

6. LateAgain

If having Trump as a user causes too much trouble they could simply remove his account :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I will lodge an objection that he has access to all US network and news TV channels 24/7 and does not need yet another soapbox to screech from. Let the decisions and tax cuts do the talking. So far, it's just screeching and other owl noises, although I must admit that I do not speak the languages of conspiracy and idiocy. It all sounds like hooting and barfing and a disturbance in The Force, as if billions of creatures all shit at once into a black hole and the partnering white hole is in charge of the USandA.

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Trollface

They could ban his account, but he'll just start a new one with a different username and keep abusing people all the same.

7. Trollslayer
    Mushroom

The unforgiveable crime

Whoever started this is in trouble - they have embarrassed the bosses there.

8. Oh Homer
    Alien

Troll?

Reading the @Alt_USCIS feed I see nothing that is actionable. Embarrassing for the Trump administration, certainly, but not untrue.

Can a president actually claim to be "criminally harassed" by the truth?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Troll?

"The" truth? You must be quite young to trust your reality so much.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The truth

Trump wouldn't know the truth if it crawled up his ass, lit a fire and roasted a whole pig.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The truth

Indeed, quite like his election campaign based on not getting involved in foreign conflicts but then getting involved in foreign conflicts or maybe his claim that obama created the vacuum that created isis only to push to create even more vacuum for isis or even bombing people to save them from being bombed.

I give up with America it's just conflicting and conflicts. It's like the travel ban all over again, one side want to hug them the other want to bomb them.

p.s. I wouldn't eat that pig and I like a good spit roast.

Back on topic, they already have the person in question and will deal with them appropriately. That's how things will work in the future, you say something the government don't like and they will get you. This clearly demonstrates where we are going and why the laws are now being put/already are on the books to allow the governments to find you.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Twitter told them to drop the suit or they would ban trump.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What a great idea

I must admit that this option had not occurred to me!

11. Sabot

Rogue

What is rogue here is not the twitter account. What is rogue here is the US CBP.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like