back to article F-Secure gobbles up Zdziarski's Little Flocker, spits it into antivirus kit

F-Secure has completely absorbed Little Flocker, the macOS security tool built by computer forensics boffin Jonathan Zdziarski. Financial terms of the deal, announced Thursday, were undisclosed. Zdziarski just recently joined Apple on its security engineering team, so the handover of the paid-for software to F-Secure makes a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Problematic..

The very nature of this sort of software is that it has to intercept your activities to actually do its job, which puts it in the best possible position to siphon off some of that data, and F-secure's privacy statement makes no mention of how to limit the considerable amount of data they extract )according to the license agreement you have to accept). The latter is also interesting because I was under the impression that privacy agreements need an explicit agreement, not one embedded deep down in a license, but that's less of a worry.

F-Secure has been around for a long time with generally rather good products, but that still isn't an argument to trust anyone IMHO - for anyone in security, trust is not a default option :).

2. JJKing
    Trollface

"Pinwheel" Jobs must be very upset because Macs do not get infected.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Oh Dear.

In the casual gaming circles I frequent, a number of players with sets of similar issues going back several years, got together and compared systems, to see if there was a common element.

They were all using FSecure.

Changing to a different supplier, and all the random game install fails, update corruptions, and random server disconnects stopped.

Well, not ALL the random server disconnects, ZoneAlarm causes a fair number of those as well.

4. MichaelD

I wonder how many people are in limbo the way I am.

Unfortunately, the company went down before I had time to install (register) what I paid for.

The registration file is hidden with a dot at the beginning of the file's name.

I can make it visible but the program just won't see 3 recognize it.

Anyone with a suggestion ?

Thanks in advance.

MichaelD

(P.S.: I am not sure if previous message was sent.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like