back to article FTC accuses man of faking its news to further tech support scam

An alleged PC tech support scam that used fake news releases from the US Federal Trade Commission to make its false claims more believable has attracted the attention of the consumer watchdog agency in the form of a lawsuit. The FTC on Monday sued Lake Worth, Florida, resident Daniel L Croft, doing business as PC Guru Tech …

1. Christoph

All they need to do is delay the case for a few months until Trump gets round to abolishing the FTC.

2. Jeff 11
    Mushroom

The FTC says the so-called press release is fake news.

Welcome to 2017 - the year when the scam died and fake news took its place in the dictionary.

3. James Loughner

Guess it does not apply to the army of Indian call center people that represent them selves as MS tech and try to get you to open your machine to them. I get a call at lest once a week and have fun with them then revel I run Linux and no Windows key R does not work here LOL

1. VanguardG

I'll get 3 or 4 such calls in one weekend - then none for a month. A few times I've strung out the call with various means, but most of the time, I've decided the entertainment value just doesn't pay for the time investment. I do plan at some point to be "computer-helpless tech support nightmare" and claim my cup holder doesn't connect to the interweb thingie, and how great they called, they can help me fix it. But I'll have to be pretty bored.

2. Bob Dole (tm)
      Thumb Up

As long as they aren't claiming to represent the FTC then they are OK.

4. Fatman
    Joke

Suitable punishment...

Chase this asshole into the Everglades, and let the gators have at it.

This being mating season, and after some 'thrashing and splashing' in the swamp they get hungry.

Snacktime!!!!!!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Suitable punishment...

Sometimes, you don't even have to go to the Everglades. We had a 'gator who liked to live in our dumpster at our trailer park in Jacksonville Beach, FL. Someone would eventually complain about him, Fish & Game would come and haul him off to the Everglades. A few weeks later, he'd be back.

BTW, when the garbage truck came, he'd flop out, then climb back in after the pickup. Never hurt a soul although you'd hear a hiss if you tossed the garbage in vigorously.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I know this person. He simply changed company names and continues to scam. As long as he doesn't associate himself with the FTC, they don't care. I contacted them. They don't care.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like