back to article Wet, wild Mars stripped off by hot young star, left barren and red faced

Powerful solar wind and radiation have stripped away most of the Martian atmosphere, transforming the planet from one that could have been wet and with the potential to harbor life, to the barren dusty place it is today. NASA's Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) mission was launched in 2013 to study the planet's …

1. deadlockvictim

iron-nickel core

Am I right in inferring the that Mars has no large, magnetic iron-nickel core, because if it did, it would have created a martian van Allen belt and protected Mars from the ionizing particles in the solar winds?

1. tony2heads
      Boffin

Re: iron-nickel core

Doesn't have to be iron-nickel to get a magnetic field.

The huge magnetosphere of Jupiter (about 20,000 times stronger than earth's) is probably generated from liquid metallic hydrogen (under the high pressure in the core)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: iron-nickel core

Mars almost certainly has an iron-nickel core to account for the difference in its bulk density to those surface rocks we have analysed. The best bet is that Mars's core is something like 1800km in diameter.

What is likely to be different is that no part of Mars's core is convecting to drive a dynamo and hence no magnetic field. Mars would have cooled faster than Earth due to its smaller size, so the interior is going to be hot - just not hot enough. We don't know the Martian geotherm exactly, but it is entirely possible the whole planet is solid, although there are some tantalisingly fresh-looking lava flows that suggest limited volcanism has occurred within the last 2 million years.

1. Faux Science Slayer

Re: iron-nickel core missing Uranium, Thorium

Mars burnt out it's fissionable material which supplies internal heat, electron Flux and elemental atoms/molecules. Pterodactyl had eleven meter (36 ft) wingspan in the Jurassic Period because air density was four times present level due to loss from solar wind and ionization.

Dr John Brandenburg has more on Mars and Xenon-129 and Krypton-80 isotopes....

2. graeme leggett Silver badge

That's what they say.

But what is mindboggling is that the boffins think they could build a magnetosphere equivalent 'device' that would orbit such that it protected Mars from the solar wind. and then Mars would start to redevelop an atmosphere.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

My apologies, the internet tells me they think it does have an iron nickel core but something caused the magnetic dynamo to stop turning.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Nobody knows for sure why Mars' dynamo stopped. But the two terrestrial planets that have magnetic fields both have their cores stirred by tidal forces from another body; the two that don't, don't.

1. drewsup

I concur

mars is lacking a large enough moon to knead the crust and keep the core from solidifying, Phobos is a lost cause, will probably spiral into the planet in a few million years, Deimos is tiny, before we think of setting up shop there, we need to send out hundreds of small mass drivers to the asteroid belt, nudge quite a few rocks into Deimos' path and hopefully collide and stick, once a large enough mass is built up, let the tidal stresses do their thing. may want to chuck a few bigger ones at Mars to soften it up for good measure.

The lack of a magnetosphere around Mars is the big puzzle piece that needs to be solved before we set up a colony.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"My apologies, the internet tells me they think it does have an iron nickel core but something caused the magnetic dynamo to stop turning."

Based on the old Velo I used to own, I expect some oil got on the drive belt. And that far in the past, you couldn't just nip into an electrical goods shop and put on a cheap belt from a washing machine to get you home.

2. Mystic Megabyte
      Boffin

@graeme

Yeah right! I want what that boffin is smoking.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"President Donald Trump signed a bill last Tuesday, pledging $19.5bn in NASA funding covering the budget for 2018 and including human exploration of Mars as a priority."

Someone told him about the possibilities of a golfing resort?

1. handleoclast

Someone told him about the possibilities of a golfing resort?

Yeah, to be called Mars-a-lago.

4. schlechtj

So, what's going on with Venus which has no magnetic field and is way closer too the sun so it experiences a far more intense solar wind than Mars? The solar wind theory can not be the whole story when Venus is over blessed with atmosphere.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Mass.

The surface gravity on Venus is 0.9g; on Mars its 0.3g. Even so, Venus has had most of its hydrogen stripped by the solar wind; it's the heavier elements it's hung on to. (It's atmosphere is 95% CO2)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Interestingly, the lop-sided hydrogen isotope abundances on Venus show that it lost its hydrogen to space. The tiny amounts of hydrogen in the Venusian atmosphere are highly enriched in the heavier deuterium than regular hydrogen because it is harder for the Sun to strip deuterium than the lighter isotope. Same approach as the new Mars study, different element.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Supposedly, the interaction of Venus' thick atmosphere with the solar wind causes an externally induced magnetic field.

http://sci.esa.int/venus-express/50246-a-magnetic-surprise-for-venus-express/

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Two possibilities:

1: the inability of the Venusian core to lose heat through Mantle convection. Here on Earth, the Mantle loses heat by vigorous convection, driving a temperature gradient within the Core.

Venus doesn't have plate tectonics and its crust appears to be highly rigid which suggests the Mantle also may not be convecting. Instead heat accumulates in the lower Mantle, reducing the ability of the Core to convect, so no magnetic field.

The lack of plate tectonics is one of the big mysteries on Venus, but the loss of water to space is probably involved. Here on Earth, water greatly reduces the melting point in the Mantle, drives processes such as serpentinisation which reduce the rigidity of the Crust and it reduces the viscosity of ductile rocks.

An absence of convection might explain the apparent catastrophic resurfacing of Venus between 0.6-0.3Ga when it looks like much of the Crust was reworked. If heat accumulates in the lower Mantle it will eventually undergo a burst of rapid convection to lose that heat, there would be enormous amounts of melting and - well it'd be spectacular.

The second possibility is that the Venusian core is deficient in lighter elements such as sulfur, oxygen and silicon which help reduce the melting point of the iron-nickel alloy in the Earth's Core. If Venus does lack these elements, its Core might have a similar temperature to Earth's but simply be unable to convect.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

More evidence that El Reg has sold out to middle-class propriety....

The publication I used to know and love would have the title mention that Mars was left "NAKED and red-faced."

Sigh--another craven attempt by The Register to cash in as a family publication.

6. G R Goslin

Ummm

Errr, The other elephant in the room is Earth, which does not seem to have suffered similar losses, despite being closer to the active sun. If you're going to create a hypothesis, then you should produce the effects of that hypothesis on other planetary objects with different mass and orbital characteristics. If your hypothisis does not explain their armosphere, then the hypothesis is not valid. But, no doubt, it probably pulled in a large slab of funding.

7. G R Goslin

Ummmm 2

Adding to my previous post. The concept of the solar wind accellerating the atmospheric gas to escape velocity, seems valid enough, but that surely, would only apply to that part of the atmosphere at the edges of the planetary disk. Across the sun facing side, the kinetic energy would be directed downwards, not up into space. Adding to that, the solar wind is comprised of hydrogen nuclei, positively charged. In the absence, largely, of a magnetic field, they would not be divered, but would be added to the atmosphere

1. JCitizen
      Holmes

Re: Ummmm 2

One big surprise that I read of in Scientific American, was a theory that the only reason Earth still has a molten core, is that an Earth Moon collision occurred and heated it all up again. This was a collision that happened between two planets that were moving in almost the same speed and direction, so most of the detritus of said collision said within the orbit of the Earth/Moon system. This apparently happened after the other planets had already lost their core generators.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like