back to article Kiwi cable goes live, and it's nowhere near a volcano

An NZ$100 million submarine cable has given New Zealanders a bit more diversity in their connections to the outside world. Even more than Australians, Kiwis are afflicted with restricted Internet connectivity and diversity, with only the Southern Cross Cable Network linking the nation directly to the US and to Australia. …

1. Kernel

Starnge you should mention earthquakes

"New Zealand is also earthquake-prone, which also argues in favour of geographic diversity."

Sitting here in the office, about 25~30km from Raglan, we just felt a decent earthquake a few minutes ago - I suspect Southern Cross is much safer in the Auckland volcanic zone than the TGA cable is at Raglan.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time to go for my lunch time walk before the building collapses around our ears.

1. pixelgeek

Re: Starnge you should mention earthquakes

"we just felt a decent earthquake a few minutes ago"

A truck must've gone past your Hamilton office then :-D. GeoNet doesn't report anything in this area for the last few days and I certainly haven't felt anything.

I would also suggest the people who put together the map take a closer look at where Raglan actually is. It looks more like they just drew a line to Auckland for convenience.

1. Kernel

Re: Starnge you should mention earthquakes

We are more than familiar with large trucks going past the office, there's almost constantly one or more B-trains messing around in our part of Te Rapa - we're also three floors up, so it takes something pretty serious to shake our office.

We checked on Geonet at the time - this is the one we felt:

Intensity strong

Region intensity moderate

NZDT Thu, Mar 30 2017, 12:58:49 pm

Depth 6 km

Magnitude 4.5

Location 15 km north-west of Turangi

2. Daedalus

Hmm....

Looks like previously unimportant places like Guam and Fiji could be vital nexuses on the world grid. Time to beef up patrols...

3. Jonski

"Nowhere near a volcano"

Orly? Go to the google and type in Raglan.

You'll see a nice picture of the harbour next to Mt. Karioi. A volcano. (Yes, I know it's extinct. But still.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like