back to article Financial fraud losses in the UK last year topped £20m a day – report

Financial fraud losses in the UK totalled £768.8m in 2016, up 2 per cent on 2015, according to Financial Fraud Action UK. The figures, released on Thursday, cover losses from scams involving payment cards, remote (internet and telephone) banking and cheques. They also show that £1.38bn – equivalent to £6.40 in every £10 – of …

1. frank ly

I can do that for £2m a day

Just send your money to ......

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"every organisation with a role to play unites to tackle it"

Meanwhile, CryptoLocker criminals get (traceable) BitCoin payments every day and that just sails under the radar.

Fighting crime is not easy, I'm sure, but dammit all, when most transactions take place electronically in a world where a single government organization can listen to and record every single mobile phone conversation, you still try to make me think that you can't trace a frikkin' bank transfer and find a criminal ?

Sorry, not buying it.

3. Borg.King
    Facepalm

768/20 = 38.4

My years have a lot more days than yours.

(Or maybe one day topped £20m and the rest of the days were around the £2m mark - statistics ftw.)

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

Re: 768/20 = 38.4

@Borg.King

Well said, sir. The mistaken arithmetic in the article suggests that its author is a likely target for fraud.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

I'm not sure how much contactless fraud is

But it's completely avoidable, contactless without a PIN shouldn't exist anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm sure how much contactless fraud is

I'm not sure how much contactless fraud is ....

...because I didn't follow the link and then look at the report itself?

Figures are £6.9m losses against spending of £25.2bn, across both contactless cards and devices. So that's about one third of the losses per £ spent when compared to all other UK payment card fraud. And compared to 2015, the losses per £ spent went down by 25%, with total contactless fraud represented a mere 1.1% of overall card fraud.

I'd say the risks of contactless cards appear to be rather less than the tinfoil hatters would make out.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: I'm sure how much contactless fraud is

Sorry. I was actually a bit busy, things got so bad I had to cut down my El Reg browsing time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like