back to article Windows 10 Creators Update: Clearing the mines with livestock (that's you by the way)

Microsoft's big Windows 10 Creators Update platform release is now available if you want it, but the long-promised UX makeover and People Experience feature will wait for a future update to Windows. Probably this year, but possibly not. The release schedule is complicated. The Creators Update build becomes the default Windows …

1. chivo243 Silver badge

CBB

Can't Be Bothered? What a fragmented ecosystem Win10 is...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: CBB

What a fragmented ecosystem Win10 is...

Not like Linux I guess then.

1. hplasm
        Linux

"What a fragmented ecosystem Win10 is...

Not like Linux I guess then."

Correct.

2. Alumoi Silver badge

Not like Linux I guess then.

Linux as in kernel or Linux as in DE?

3. adnim
        Facepalm

You are right, Linux development is fragmented. And all OSS developers are thousands of miles apart and think for themselves. Yet almost every single developer is aiming at the same target and coding to the same ethos.

I find it awesome that thousands of disparate entities can produce a fathomable whole that is far greater than the sum of its parts.

I also find it unbelievable that a single concentrated entity cannot see its ass because its elbow greed is in the way.

Some people can't see outside the box, some people don't see a box, some people see a box and ask wtf is that for? And others see the box as a place to piss.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a question

Aside from the scale of the operation, how does ordinary punters on the fast track and business on the slow (and stable?) one differ from Firefox and their fast release, Extended Support Release paths?

1. tfewster

Re: a question

You get a choice

3. Michael Jarve
    FAIL

No love yet..

The link to the links for the ISO just result in a 403 being thrown up. Perhaps it really was not meant to be released yet?

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Meh

What MS giveth MS taketh away

Anyone who's topped up their mobile data bundle on the go only to find the data swallowed up by background sync processes in minutes – as happened to your reporter recently – will be glad to find that OneDrive is now more aware that it's on a metered connection.

OneDrive stops wasting pennies but updates that MS considers sooo important now get pushed down metered connections. Not sure if this is an improvement, at least it was your data before.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What MS giveth MS taketh away

Not sure why you got the downvote.

Previously you could prevent updates over metered connections, all you can do now is merely postpone them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Looks like I got in just in time, flagging my Ethernet as metered. Means under my current version I can refuse this and all future updates. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Erm, no. As in nope, you'd wish and so on. Some upgrades will still install on metered connection. But don't worry, it won't be some yuge download, only a couple of gigas. After all, everybody has an ulimited cellular plan, right?

2. Geoffrey W

RE: "Previously you could prevent updates over metered connections, all you can do now is merely postpone them"

Can't you stop the update service, thus pausing them indefinitely?

1. Duncan Macdonald

If you set the startup type of the Windows Update service to disabled then windows updates will not occur until after you have re-enabled the service (disabling the Background Intelligent Transfer service can stop other unwanted data usage as well). Note - just stopping the service is not enough - the startup type has to be set to disabled or windows will restart it.

2. Barry Rueger

Here in Canada an $80 a month wireless plan will generally include 1 gig of data. Increasing that will push the monthly spend over $100.

Just last week I deleted a very, very nice newspaper app because it had gobbled 150+ megs in less than a month.

The people who design software like this really need to get out of Silicon Valley and try using their products in the real world, while paying out of their own pocket.

The Windows 10 machine in our household is an endless source of irritation, with no indication that the design team has ever used Win10 to do an honest day's work. 3D is the last thing that should be a priority.

1. P. Lee

>3D is the last thing that should be a priority.

There's two aspects to this. One is that using 3D in the GUI offloads work to efficient GPUs, so MS will want this for mobile (on Android, I suppose).

Secondly, they know they are losing the home market and perceive gaming as a strong point in that area. However, a very large number of games are coming out with Linux support. Croteam are even backporting Serious Sam to Linux and providing it free to those who bought the game on Windows. That kind of behaviour should worry Microsoft a lot.

MS have themselves to blame. Desperate to be seen as a leader, they are pushing to the cloud in the enterprise space and abandoning their lower-end user- and developer-base. The lower end of the market doesn't care so much about software roll-out because their user-counts are so low. Often the application only needs installing on one machine. If you're applications are cloud-based the client doesn't matter, so more people will look at OSX (or rather, robust unibody prestige products)... so cross-platform is key. Once you've gone to that place, the dev's themselves are likely to be using Linux for work and you're into a self-defeating spiral.

As usual, it comes back to the contortions product licensing pushes vendors into. They have to make themselves look good against Amazon's cloud, to be seen as a "winner" when what they should be doing is improving their OS to include all the nice things cloud provides. Rather than enabling the tech departments, they are pitching directly to managers.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"The people who design software like this really need to get out of Silicon Valley and try using their products in the real world, while paying out of their own pocket."

Yes, this, upvoted!

We old timers have been saying this for years. When free local phone calls were more or less ubiquitous in the USA, the rest of us were complaining about stuff only working when on-line, or games built to run only on the latest, biggest and most expensive GFX cards and double the RAM that most people had.

3. Roland6 Silver badge

re: metered connection

So does this new build do the sensible and allow me, the user, to default to ALL (current and new) network connections being metered and only those I specifically denote to be unmetered? If not Win10 still isn't ready for primetime with truely mobile workers...

4. Mark 65

Except this bit...

The CU release will warn the user when they're switching from an unmetered connection like Wi-Fi, to a potentially metered connection

Both ethernet and wi-fi can be on a metered connection, especially when it comes to moving gigs of data, if either of those is just to your household router.

5. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Looks good!

<sarcasm> I would bet that with continuing progress like this, Windows 10 will be ready for release within the next few years </sarcasm>

1. David 132 Silver badge

Re: Looks good!

<sarcasm> I would bet that with continuing progress like this, Windows 10 will be ready for release within the next few years </sarcasm>

Yes! 2017 will be the Year Of Windows 10 On The Desktop!

/s

6. jonha
    FAIL

11 April... that's ten days too late.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: 11 April... that's ten days too late.

No, just normal MS quality control we've come to expect in recent years: someone miskeyed 1 April and no one spotted the typo.

7. adnim
    Joke

I dunno why I read this article

I grew out of rubber necking at car crashes many years ago.

8. djstardust

Wish I could use it

Tried updating a Lenovo Yoga S 12 from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 last week and it was a complete disaster.

Loads of drivers missing, software telling me it won't work any more and even my Bluetooth mouse wouldn't connect. It would have taken hours to get the machine in a workable state again and that's not on for most people. I took an image beforehand just in case and I definitely needed it.

It may be fine an a brand new machine, however until they get the basics of upgrading right I wouldn't hold out much hope for the rest of Win 10.

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

Re: Wish I could use it

Yes. Because it's Microsoft's fault that Lenovo/the hardware manufacturers haven't sorted the drivers out.

Flame

Yes. Because it's Microsoft's fault that Lenovo/the hardware manufacturers haven't sorted the drivers out.

OK, I'll bite.

I have a PC here running Windows 10 b1607 that has been a PITA from day one. Let's run through the sad litany of issues:

- Sleep/resume will randomly turn into a complete shutdown/wake - I have a dozen windows open, close the lid, and maybe 20% of the time when I open it again the machine will boot from cold, all windows (and unsaved work) gone. I am getting VERY familiar with the Excel/Word "document recovery" pane.

- Wifi doesn't detect changes of location after a sleep/wake cycle (i.e. if I am at work connected to SSID "corp_wifi", close the lid, then wake the PC at home - it will still "see" corp_wifi, still think it's connected to it, and the only way I can get it to connect to home_dlink_wifi is to go to Airplane mode, count to 10, then turn off Airplane mode again. Same issue when I go from home to office the next day.

- Mouse pointer keeps changing size. The PC has a high DPI screen - so to avoid my mouse pointer being the size of a gnat's todger, I use the "Extra Large" cursor scheme. Randomly (sleep/wake? clock has ticked over to a new hour? I opened a new window?) it will reset back to standard size, although it "thinks" it's still on the Extra Large scheme. I have to go to the control panel and toggle scheme from EL->standard->EL to restore it.

- Occasional hard lockups. I finished a meeting on Friday at 6:30pm, and left the laptop sitting there in Outlook. Came back to it 2 hours later - mouse pointer wouldn't move, and the clock was stuck at 6:37pm. So for almost 2 hours it had been frozen solid. Had to do a full power cycle to get it back.

And those are just the ones I remember.

OK, ArrZarr, you're right, it's unfair of me to blame Microsoft's OS for all this - they can't possibly test every combination of hardware out there. It's clearly the fault of the OEM who made the laptop and didn't bother to do the most basic validation testing. So who do I shout at about this machine?

By the way, it said "Surface Book" on the box, if that helps.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "it's unfair of me to blame Microsoft's OS"

I beg to differ.

Windows 1 0 is supposed to be the very best, the cutting edge, the bees knees of OS products. Sleep mode has had trouble since it was introduced in the previous millennium - you'd think MS would have had the time to iron out the kinks by now. Vendor drivers are unstable and can crash the OS ? It's Windows 1 0 - you'd think the OS would be robust enough to have the code to not crash from a bloody driver. And it's not like nobody else manages either.

The OS is made to run programs and interface with the hardware. It has been since its inception. An OS that crashes because of a program (or driver) is NOT an OS - it's a POS.

1. Gio Ciampa

Re: "it's unfair of me to blame Microsoft's OS"

Just curious... was the space in "Windows 1 0" deliberate (or should there be a decimal point in there...)?

2. Cpt Blue Bear

"- Sleep/resume will randomly turn into a complete shutdown/wake - I have a dozen windows open, close the lid, and maybe 20% of the time when I open it again the machine will boot from cold, all windows (and unsaved work) gone. I am getting VERY familiar with the Excel/Word "document recovery" pane."

Windows sleep / resume seems very sensitive to hardware.

Try setting the close lid option to hibernate instead.

1. P. Lee

>Try setting the close lid option to hibernate instead.

All fun and games until you have 16G+ RAM on board...

2. David 132 Silver badge

Windows sleep / resume seems very sensitive to hardware.

Indeed. But my point - albeit obliquely made - is that this is Microsoft's own hardware, so they should have validated it... no?

2. a_yank_lurker

When Linux distros support hardware better than Bloat that should be a clue.

3. djstardust

If the old drivers are incompatible then Windows 10 should replace them with the newer ones. Being a dumb consumer I guess that's what should happen?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

daisy wheel typewriters

No it don’t work that way. When you bought the hardware it had software that kind of worked. You cannot expect chipset manufactures to rewrite drivers for chips that are no longer being sold. This is why Windows 10 or Linux does not work on daisy wheel typewriters.

1. hplasm
            FAIL

Re: daisy wheel typewriters

" Linux does not work on daisy wheel typewriters."

assuming you mean'printer' for 'typewriter'...

[citation needed]

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: daisy wheel typewriters

No I mean typewriter not printer because it is just the SAME as expecting W10 to support all legacy chipsets!

4. Nolveys

Because it's Microsoft's fault that Lenovo/the hardware manufacturers haven't sorted the drivers out.

Give them a break, they've been too busy working on Superfish II.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

any upgrade i have done for other people (when you could get the update from w7 free) is followed by a wipe, format and fresh install then a check of system to manually find any missing drivers. then reinstall of software and personal accounts and data.

long way around BUT the only way to get a (sort of) stable system.

I still run 7 and will continue to until there is a viable option. without telemetry and forced updates ( Im a dreamer i know )

3. P. Lee

My favourite is when I get a system where the OS doesn't include the NIC drivers. My mind goes back to having a box of 3.5" disks on the desk...

9. PickledAardvark

Windows 10 is easy to understand

There are just eleven "editions" (Pro, Home Enterprise etc) or fifteen if you include the N versions which do not automatically include Microsoft's media software.

Then there's the Windows Insider Preview Branch, Current Branch, Current Branch for Business and the Long Term Servicing Branch.

Windows 10 is periodically updated. The next refresh will be called Windows 10 Creators Update. The one after will be called Windows 10 Random Words.

If you type WINVER at a command prompt, you'll get enough enough information to know which kernel is running. To know which edition, you have to look in the control panels or registry.

How did the PC end up running Windows 10 -- a clean build or a version-over build from Windows 7?You have to admire Windows software developers. For them it must be like writing a BASIC program that runs on an Apple II, Commodore PET and C64, Dragon and lord knows what.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Windows 10 is easy to understand

>If you type WINVER at a command prompt, you'll get enough enough information to know which kernel is running. To know which edition, you have to look in the control panels or registry.

However, I've yet to find a method that gives me details of which programs have grandfather rights and so won't install if I have to do a clean reinstall...

1. Not That Andrew

Re: Grandfathered In

Of the top of my head stuff that gets grandfathered into an upgrade.

Windows Media Player

Windows Movie Maker & the other programs in the Windows Live bundle

Windows Media Centre

Zune

SkiFree32 (I may have installed that myself)

Most of this stuff has also been removed from public view on the MS website

And it as far as I can tell it leaves the Windows XP VM that XP Mode uses but uninstalls Windows Virtual PC

10. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Great Picture

But...

They are coming from being milked. Should they be going the other way as MS wants to milk its users even more.

What they giveth with one hand they taketh back plus interest with the other.

Coat

Re: Great Picture

i'm shaking my head at the udder futility of it all. Charolais Microsoft can't be serious?

11. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

I must be getting old

Had a go with this today. First time I've done anything more than glance at a Windows machine for years. After half an hour of achieving nothing I gave up. There seemed to be no consistency. Nothing made sense... and don't get me started re. tiles!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I must be getting old

I had the misfortune yesterday to have a friend bring in their win 10 laptop because they wanted to use a mouse rather than the trackpad.

Yuck! What a mess.

Scroll bars that don't even if you can find them. Program windows that merge into the background and are glaring white all over. No easy way to get at hardware settings.

Thank all the deities that I don't use windows everyday.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"CU also adds the ability to perform in-place upgrades of a Windows 7 BIOS-based PC to a UEFI-based Windows 10 setup."

Do I smell broken GRUB potential here ?

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

When I read that my WTF meter went in to the "Oh, this is going to be fun (for a non W10 user)" region. Have we got enough popcorn standing by for those poor users who find they can boot their machine after some weasel-worded upgrade?

2. Alumoi Silver badge

BIOS, UEFI?

Does this mean some guy from MS will be comming to my house and physically replace the BIOS on my Latitude D820 with a newer one supporting UEFI and installing Windows 10 on my computer?

I'm just asking, you know, so I can have my shotgun ready.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The full set of release editions...

The full set of Windows 10 release editions is:

- BOATI - Bend Over And Take It - the standard consumer edition.

- OBNF - Old Bugs Never Fixed - the slower moving corporate edition.

- IBIO - Installed By Idiots Only - the fast track beta channel edition.

- LINUX - (not an acronym) - the stable edition that people should actually be using.

1. d3vy

Re: The full set of release editions...

@word_merchant

Are you sure it's not an acronym?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Creator What??

Seriously, Microsoft ? Just give me a damn computer I can use to do work, OK?

1. d3vy

Re: Creator What??

Ok..

So not like mint, cinnamon, marshmallow, lollipop, mountain lion, Snow leopard, leaping lemur and gnats nad?

MS didn't start this ridiculous naming scheme so it hardly seems fair to complain about it.

2. the Jim bloke
      Big Brother

Re: Creator What??

Its not microsofts job to give you a computer - despite their beliefs otherwise.

Its your job, or your employers, to provide the computer.

microsofts job is to provide a system that lets you use it. Enjoying doing so may not be within the scope.

They seem to have confused their job, with their mission, which would be some HR wankfest version of "take over the world, crush our enemies/competition, and listen to the lamentations of their women"

15. Howard Hanek
    Mushroom

Heavy Users Are Most Effective

Sheep are too light and fail to detonate the landmines. Heavy weight cows and oxen work best. Elephants and Hippos are ideal but difficult to herd.

Happy

Re: Heavy Users Are Most Effective

How about a sheep on a pogo stick?

(aka a woolly jumper?)

Also, I am vaguely unnerved at the amount of research that you've apparently put into this topic.

16. Dwarf

I upgraded my windows about 11 years ago, now they are double glazed and so much easier to clean.

I've also found that they don't randomly show me adverts, need to be replaced every 6 months or re-arrange themselves for unknown reasons.

That's the only Windows around here.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lots of useless new shite, but bug fixes for old stuff ?

So Microsoft have spent thousands of manhours on lots of useless new shite, but have not bothered to do bug fixes for the old stuff ?!

AGAIN ?!

e.g. Long File Paths are still not supported in File Explorer !

How many decades, Microsoft ?!

1. d3vy

Re: Lots of useless new shite, but bug fixes for old stuff ?

You know that's fixed and it's toggled on and off with a registry setting?

1. Tim Seventh

From the internet, Windows 10 supports long path, but Windows Explorer still does not support long path.

superuser.com/questions/1114572/windows-10-ver-1607-file-explorer-long-paths-not-working?rq=1

1. Roland6 Silver badge

re: Long path names

However, that was Windows 10 Anniversary Update (build 1607), given the way MS have been introducing and removing features between Win10 builds there is no certainly whether the Creators update will or won't support long paths and whether Explorer does or doesn't support long path names.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

and they have not reduced the schizophrenic nature of W10 with some menus using the modern format and some win32 its confusing to know what to find where anything.

3. Timmy B

@Bahboh

Seriously learn to use google..... https://betanews.com/2016/05/29/long-paths-windows-10/

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'All users get a much improved Privacy panel'

"...allowing the user to see which apps have access to each capability such as location or microphone, and block them. Data that Microsoft stores in the Cloud can be deleted much more easily now."

Its not enough!

Who wants to play Facebook / Google privacy whac-a-mole every other week fighting the OS. No thanks!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 'All users get a much improved Privacy panel'

which will be reset or outright ignored by MICROSOFT software and apps.

19. fidodogbreath

Metered connection mystery

I don't understand the Windows 10 assumption that WiFi connections are never metered. The WiFi hotspot feature of my phone is very much a metered connection.

1. d3vy

Re: Metered connection mystery

And you can toggle it onto a metered connection in around three clicks, the vast majority of WiFi connections are not metered what's the issue?

2. Adrian 4

Re: Metered connection mystery

As is the USB tether to my phone, which looks like an ethernet connection.

20. ma1010
    Alert

It's more like the Russians in WW II

The Russians had penal battalions, essentially unarmed "soldiers" who had somehow pissed off the Communists. They used them for unpleasant tasks, like heavy labor and clearing a minefield -- by marching them through it. (If they refused, they were shot on the spot.)

If one considers using a beta operating system to be punishment (which I do), then it looks like: "Welcome to the MPB (Microsoft Penal Battalion), Comrades!"

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Full HDD Encryption compatible?

So cutting to the quick, odds on this update bricking my win10 laptops with full disk encryption?

22. Digitall
    Facepalm

Relase date 11th April..patch Tuesday!?

failed downloads looming

23. Dreams

PLUS!

Windows PLUS!...reanimated.

24. Stevie

Bah!

Ironic that there is so much emphasis on 3d applications when the Windows 10 GUI is flatter than a witch's tit.

A new update to my local Chase ATM has married piss-poor design worthy of web 1.0 with bug-ugly flat GUI aesthetics, no doubt as a result of migrating it to embedded windows 10. Slow response and cancellation tags waiting on the next screen so an irritated *third* tap to get the fucking thing moving started on screen one but actually made contact on screen two and cancelled the whole affair.

The net result is that a five minute trip to the bank to check balances and transfer funds accordingly turned into a twenty five minute visit. Five minutes struggling with the useless redesign, no minutes throwing my hands up in despair and giving up, and twenty minutes getting my exact feelings on the change fed back to corporate by a very nice young manager.

And the purpose of the visit was completely voided.

I've no doubt the programmer thinks he did a bang-up job, and equally sure he never uses an ATM for any purpose other than to get cash.

1. Roland6 Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Bah!

"I've no doubt the programmer thinks he did a bang-up job, and equally sure he never uses an ATM for any purpose other than to get cash."

Are you sure about the last part of your comment?, as from your comment using the ATM to get cash wasn't on your to do list and hence we don't know if that was actually possible...

1. Stevie

Re: Are you sure

Since cash dispensing was the only activity that could be easily accomplished without paging back and forth across multiple screens and provided a printed record request button, yes, I'm just about certain.

Should have mentioned that I got my start designing manufaturing systems data entry UIs in the late 70s, before the programmer could just lazily delegate it all to the O/S, and add that if I'd ever have turned in such a waste of cpu cycles to my chief programmer she'd have broken my fingers one by one and slowly as public entertainment for the rest of the office.

25. This post has been deleted by its author

1. This post has been deleted by its author

26. Carl D

What a load of bollocks

I managed to download this so called "Creators Update" before MS pulled the link.

Installed it on a separate solid state drive and played with it for a while. Can't see what all the fuss is about? Apart from Paint3D (which I'll probably never use) and changing a few things around as usual (like making Control Panel a bit harder to find by removing the link when you right click the Start button - it's down the bottom of the Start menu under Windows System) the whole thing doesn't look much different to the Anniversary Edition.

What a waste of time and effort. Back to Linux Mint (in a dual boot with a non Internet facing Windows 7) I go...

1. AlexS

Re: What a load of bollocks

Surprised you didn't mention that a Linux shell is included.

27. lonegull

More stable

Running Version 1703 now and there is a noticeable improvement in stability and responsiveness from 1607, for me at least. Problem with the start menu greying out and being unusable but that is trivial since I use Start Menu 8 from IOBit. Can't stand the Windows 10 start menu!!

As far as the telemetry, I still disable diagtrack and related services. I don't believe for a second that Microsoft has reduced it a bit. Cortana is also disabled! The update as a whole is more under the hood improvements, very little change on the surface.

1. Bronek Kozicki
      Paris Hilton

Re: More stable

What do you use to disable Cortana?

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just stop using a Microsoft account

Various problems such as Onedrive, Cortana, Microsoft Store and the Microsoft Cloud will magically go away.

Of course some further tweaks are required to disable telemetry and data mining.

But not using a Microsoft account is the most important first step if you're dipping your toes into Windows 10.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No

See title

30. Tom Kelsall

One Drive????

Wait - the author is USING One Drive?! Who DOES that?!

31. Terry 6 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Pointless

It fails to make using it more intuitive,or easy to organise for personal preferences ( like organising the start menu into types of software and preventing programmes creating their own start folders). There's no mention of bug fixes to be able to do simple things like changing the recycle bin icon without having to edit the registry and add the mysterious ,0 to the end of icon names; and give us what?------ 3D pictures. Whoopee. Bring out the ticker tape, start the parade, organise the street parties and rush to get it downloaded.

32. Bronek Kozicki

I plan to jump into new version ...

... as soon as I learn how to permanently disable all Windows Store apps and Cortana. Since my Windows is running in a VM, I do not really risk much.

33. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Moo

OneDrive updated? It's just ****ing application (or should be anyway), therefore what does this matter with regards to a Windows OS update? Will the next Win10 update be squawking about improvements to Word? If it's not just an application, then there should be questions asked regarding competition.

As for other changes - frankly I can't see much to get excited about. Improvements to Windows store - whatever. Until this can be supplemented or replaced by an in-house store (or application deployment system) it's of no interest whatsoever. Until then it's mostly populated by tumbleweed and wholly entirely ontrusive and unwanted - no, I don't want ****ing CodeWriter, similarly for "Get Office", "American News" (or whatever it's called), a pitifully under-featured version of PowerBIDesktop or any of the other crud that is forced, unwanted onto every user on every new login. Edge? Meh, it's useless because for "consumer" browsing everything else is better and for corporate use only Internet Explorer works "properly" with many Microsoft services.

I've yet to see what it's called "creators update", it may as well just be named arbitrarily.

34. Lion

Bad Timing

Wow, patch Tuesday, April 11 will be the official release date. Isn't April 18th the tax return deadline in the USA? The perfect storm.

35. Colin Bain

Now for yet another press of the reset button

I am no geek, although family and work colleagues think I am, but W10 is the only OS I have had to reset back to original settings on several computers at work and home.

If they could get me to not fear another update that makes my network printer settings go completely haywire; or make it so that updates will update; or....etc. THEN I could maybe anticipate some of the more exotic pleasures of Creator or whatever stuff tey want me to dream about. I've spent tens of hours beyond my paygrade and capability fixing and bodging things up. W95 come back all is forgiven.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like