back to article BlackBerry, HTC eat into Nokia Q2 market share

Global smartphone sales were steady during the second quarter of 2008, according to Gartner. But only a wider availability of new touchscreen smartphones will spur stronger sales in Q3, the analyst warned. Gartner found that worldwide smartphone sales totalled 32.2m units during Q2, the exact same number sold in the previous …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Wonderkid
    Go

E71 better than both alternatives

Owning an E71 and having toyed around with HTC Diamond and a BlackBerry Bold, I have found the E71 a way more practical device. The touch screen interface on the Diamond may look nice on the screen shots / advertisements, but it lacks the usability of the iPhone and other devices that get you direct to the feature you want. It just isn't a productivity tool, no matter the OS it is running ontop of. And BlackBerries, while making email easy, are pretty much rendered obsolete by the E71 and other phones with a good mail client and tactile keyboard. (I have programmed my E71 to notify me every 15 mins of incoming emails, not full push, but good enough!) Nokia need to get tech people into each town centre to help people configure their E71 for email or put up a very clearly written web page. A good product needs to be given it all (as Apple have done with the iPhone) and the E71 is a great product. Battery life and compact robust sexy form factor really make the difference. And no, I don't work for Nokia!

2. Darren B

American market see bigest increase

And, historically, Americans like to buy HTC (WinMo) & Blackberry. Also the iPhone will have taken a bite of Nokia's share globally too from the consumer side of things.

To me these figures are not saying much, just that the Americans are finally waking up to the real world.

3. Andy Watt
    Pirate

Nokia? Smartphones?

Non-sequitur alert!

Incidentally, the HTC Diamond may not be the best, but the Touch Pro looks like a winner. Yum.

Blackberrys seem so fragile though, the build quality feels a bit iffy.

And Americans will never wake up to the real world while Motorola still lives. Oh hang on, that might be soon (at least from a handset point of view). Why did they put up with those AWFUL handsets for so long?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like