back to article nbn™ builder prioritises easy premises, because it must work like that

Stop me if you've heard this one: nbn™, builder and operator of Australia's national broadband network (NBN), is being accused of polishing its rollout figures by fast-tracking areas that are easy to service. The news emerged out of a hearing at the Senate Environment and Communications Committee last Friday (the transcript …

1. AnthonyP69

Why haven't future roll outs moved to FTTdp

Was checking my suburbs install dates, nothing until 2019. Then I found out half my suburb is getting FTTdp, while the area I am in is getting FTTN. Why at this late stage of roll out are they still rolling out FTTN!

I have seen comments from NBN stating it will take 18 months/2year to change the plans to FTTdp. Then if half my suburb is getting FTTdp and my area is getting FTTN in 2 years time, why wasn't the whole suburb replanned for FTTdp. Its not like it is going to push the roll out any longer, I still have a 2 year delay. Yet the area of my suburb getting FTTdp was getting FTTN up until this year!

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Joke

We're on the road to node-ware

I've taken up pigeon keeping, I'm gunna collar the comms market.

3. aberglas

Prioritizing those that already have good internet

There is a huge benefit of the NBN for people that have no internet at all.

But so little for people with good ADSL that most would not switch to the NBN if they were not forced to by cutting their copper. (We know that as a fact from trials where they did not threaten to cut the copper.)

So what does the NBN prioritize? Those that do not really want the NBN.

It is the wrong KPI. Number of premises is a worthless metric. How many people with no or bad internet have been connected. That is the KPI that counts.

(And for the "Fraudband" screamers, it would have been as bad or worse under the FTTP plan. And that $42 billion costing was a fairy tale for small children.)

1. Griffo

Re: Prioritizing those that already have good internet

I agree. They should be measured on the average and total increase in maxiumum mbps of the install based.

Oh wait, you mean NBN are moving a bunch of people who already had 15mbps+ ADLS onto your shitty 25mbps FTTN? Oh what a great success Morrow.

4. Adam 1

The low hanging fruit are incredibly important to connect as the project involves cross subsidies. If they wait for tpg to fibre up all the unit blocks in Sydney and Melbourne then those users won't be contributing to the network build into less commercially interesting regions. It's in essence just a usage based tax.

It doesn't cost anywhere near a dollar for Aus Post to deliver an envelope to my house, yet there are other houses where the effective cost could be hundreds of dollars. Yet we all benefit from being able to send mail to nearly everyone. In the same way, we all benefit from internet availability across the whole community.

Fttn and fttdp are effectively stop gap measures. They might scale for the next 5-10 years but at some point they will need to be replaced with fttp. By all means do a cost benefit comparison. Maybe fttn with a 5 year life allied faster rollout and ROI, and maybe we won't utilise the capacity of fttp before then, but the problem as i see it is a lack of forward thinking. They are only interested in costs and returns over budget estimates. If they built the harbour bridge today they would have made it 2 lanes each way and not bothered with the train line either.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Worth noting that Malcolm Turnbull wasn't criticising the approach rather he was raising the issue of misrepresentation of the costs by the previous government.

6. spongozoid

What a joke

I tell you, If I have to wait until 2019, while every house surrounding me has NBN, I'm gonna flip.

Literally we have all the cabling in place. It's cable btw (I'm in the NBN Redcliffe area). It's even live. We hooked up next door neighbours modem to it, and it sync'd and logged in with his details. And despite many complaints, and despite pressing for an investigation, we haven't gone anywhere. Still SC0. And no timeframe to make us RFS. Been fighting for 3 months now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like