back to article USA can afford golf for Trump. Can't afford .com for FBI infosec service

InfraGard.org is supposed to be one of the United States' defences against online criminals. But the FBI-led service is currently the subject of a typosquatting and email attack that could see organisations seeking protection instead send their personal data straight to parties unknown. As its name implies, InfraGard is all …

1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Also....

...spell "gard" correctly and enjoy the cert warnings there.

https://www.infraguard.org/

2. James 51
    Paris Hilton

The secert service asked for more money due to the level of stress protecting the Trump family is placing them under and they were turned down. When the movie gets made I wonder if it will be played as all goverment spending is bad coming back to bite or with weaked security here, here and here... Though imagine the frustation of being the people who have to protect him without the resources to do it. You'd hope that Trump would golf a little less like he promised and do some work, everyone would win then (I think).

1. Stoneshop
      Devil

Golfing harms nearly no-one

You'd hope that Trump would golf a little less like he promised and do some work,

Be careful what you wish for, because you may get it.

1. Tom Paine

Re: Golfing harms nearly no-one

Wise words in the general case, but in this specific instance I don't think there's much to worry about. He's stayed at a Trump branded resort / golf club every single weekend since taking office.

1. James 51

Re: Golfing harms nearly no-one

@TomPaine No doubt every tax payer cent that goes into his coffers will be paid back to avoid any corruption scandels and Trump will start paying taxes too.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@James 51 .... WRONG!

Look mate, you may be too young to remember when Clinton was in the White House. A good friend of mine was in the Secret Service and when Clinton won, he left because he didn't want to be on the Presidential detail. (And he was not alone in leaving.)

Hillary Clinton's hatred for the FBI, Secret Service, or anyone wearing a uniform, is well known and well documented.

Trump? He's not that rude.

1. James 51

Re: @James 51 .... WRONG!

Lets assume you're right but I wasn't talking about the attitude of the person in the office to the person on the door. I was talking about professionals being asked to do a job then not being given enough resources to do the job (in their estimation) but still having full responsibility for the outcome.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Please show us how Trump is stiffing the Secret Service. I haven't heard of this except from your unsupported word. I have however read about how they were badly mistreated under Clinton.

BTW, every President is maligned with these golfing stories. The fact is they are always on call regardless of where they are. Trump in particular never seems to EVER stop working no matter where he is. Workaholic I guess.

1. Stoneshop
            FAIL

Trump in particular never seems to EVER stop working no matter where he is.

He doesn't appear to have gotten much of substance done, though.

1. Captain DaFt

"He doesn't appear to have gotten much of substance done, though."

Well he, Trump, has done more for bringing transparency to the doings of the Whitehouse and DC in general, just by his press worthy antics, than any former President has done via policy for decades.

I give him credit for that at least, even if it wasn't his intention.

2. James 51

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/137087/secret-service-paid-donald-trump-16-million-fly-plane

There is also the money they pay to rent space in Trump tower and the golf resorts he owns and spends a lot of time at.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

@James

With all due respect, that article doesn't support what you claim Trump is doing to the SS. In fact I can't can't seem to find the part where he did anything wrong at all. Even the article itself doesn't come out directly and say so. Is this the best you got?

The nub seems to be that the SS used facilities and reimbursed Trump as is usual. Hillary got much more of such compensation. But hers were rented facilities and Trump's are owned by him. So the argument is that he's not entitled to compensation because of who owns the facilities? I beg to differ, costs are costs regardless. If you wish to deprive Trump of compensation then you must make it so across the board, not just when Trump is involved.

1. James 51

Trump is choosing to spend time in places that he owns rather than in US goverment owned facilities. The SS (that's an unfortunate abbrev.) has no choice but to pay the prices he sets and he pockets that money. He is literally making money out of the people who are protecting him.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-lifestyle-taxpayers-20170216-story.html

For Trump, the costs come with an additional perk: Some of the money flows into his own pocket. While Trump has removed himself from managing his company, he has refused to divest his ownership, meaning that he benefits from corporate successes such as government contracts.

The Defense Department and Secret Service, for instance, have sought to rent space in Trump Tower, where leasing a floor can cost $1.5 million a year - though neither agency has disclosed any details. In addition, Trump's travel to his signature properties while trailed by a press corps beaming images to the world allows the official business of the presidency to double as marketing opportunities for his brand.

The White House did not address broader concerns of the costs and potential conflicts inherent in Trump's early travels. But White House spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham told The Post this week that Trump is always working, even when he's left Washington behind.

Club members pay $200,000 to join - a fee that has doubled since his election - and $14,000 a year to belong, giving them access to the beach, tennis courts, a spa and, now, on occasional weekends, to the president.

The weekend brought the presidential entourage to two other Trump properties, as Trump and Abe golfed 27 holes at the president's courses in Jupiter and West Palm Beach. The events meant global publicity for the Trump brand - and even more security complications.

1. Stoneshop
                  Boffin

Trump and Abe golfed 27 holes at the president's courses in Jupiter

Pretty sure that wasn't the actual planet.

Unfortunately.

2. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

> "The SS has no choice but to pay the prices he sets and he pockets that money. He is literally making money out of the people who are protecting him."

That's only true if Trump is charging excessive rates. Do you have solid evidence of such? If not, I cordially invite you to STFU.

1. James 51
                    FAIL

How many different sources would it take BJ to convince you Trump is lining his own pocket? Is there any evidence that could do that? I am just surprised Trump doesn't come out and say he does it and that makes him smart.

1. Anonymous Coward
                      Anonymous Coward

Your first source was lacking as I pointed out. So what I require is a (single) source that isn't deeply flawed. If that's too hard for you to handle I suggest you give it up.

1. James 51

How do you measure flawed? All it seems you are doing is sticking your head in the sand and saying I can't see you. BTW what about the second story? Or these?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cost-protecting-jet-setting-president-elect-trump-yuge-n687336

http://www.redstate.com/jaycaruso/2016/11/25/donald-trump-profit-secret-service-protection/

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/donald-trump-profit-his-own-secret-service-detail-who-reportedly-need-rent-space-trump-tower-1593414

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/50a74442-d276-333b-82fc-c41d2e1ee33f/donald-trump-to-profit-from.html

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/donald-trump-secret-service-campaign-travel-payments-228553

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2016/11/26/donald-trump-profiting-off-of-secret-service-billing-taxpayers-millions

1. Anonymous Coward
                          Anonymous Coward

The govt. pays a lot of companies for services and goods. This is more of the same. If what Trump is selling is fairly priced, there is NO ethical problem here. If you believe differently, please show how it isn't ethical. Just saying "Because he's the President!" isn't good enough. If the SS were not paying for his company's services, then someone else would be employing them, and making him a profit.

You seem to be suggesting that Trump should just accept that loss of revenue so people like you won't be able to cast it as unethical. But I'd wager that if he were a Democrat you would have nothing to say about it. Well, that's all over now. Trump won't be assuming the fetal position every time someone attempts to shame him with baseless criticisms, the way other Republicans have in the past. Instead he (and his supporters) will be shoving that bilge right back where it came from, good and hard. Better get used to it.

1. James 51
                            Big Brother

Trump coulld have chosen to fly commercial when he was a candidate. Instead he flew on his own plane and pocketed the money. He is chosing to spend a huge amount of his time at his own golf courses instead of other peoples golf courses or goverement owned places like camp david where other presidents have gone. His family is living in trump tower instead of moving to the white house or at least a more defensable location nearby so the secert service must pay rent to trump to have the space they need to operate. There are all the security upgrades and things like helicopter pads that have added value to his commercial property that he has not had to pay for. Stuff like this has brought down presidents of other countries. The secert service has to buy this stuff. They can't say there is a building across the road, we'll go there as it is cheaper. There is another golf course it will be cheaper to operate out of, we'll go there. Trump's problem is that he never feels shame, even when he should. As for saying water isn't wet and being an uneasent twirp till every sensible person has gone home, that doesn't make water dry nor does it mean that you have won a victory. If you look back over our last few posts I have presented evidence (from the media admittedly) and reasoned arguments. All you have done is be unpleasent and told me to back down. It is going to take more than a conman's smile and a bully's swagger to convince me I am wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
                              Anonymous Coward

> "Trump could have chosen to fly commercial when he was a candidate. Instead he flew on his own plane and pocketed the money."

No. He used it (indirectly) to pay a whole bunch of his employees who keep that plane ready for duty. Do you suppose large planes just grow on bushes?

> "He is chosing to spend a huge amount of his time at his own golf courses instead of other peoples golf courses or goverement owned places like camp david where other presidents have gone."

That cad! How DARE he not frequent golf courses he doesn't own! Isn't there a law or something? Christ, what a country!

> "His family is living in trump tower instead of moving to the white house or at least a more defensable location nearby so the secert service must pay rent to trump to have the space they need to operate."

Has it ever occurred to you that Trump is a high-risk assassination target? Maybe he prefers to have his family away from where he is, and not in some 'defensible' bunker like you suggest.

> "There are all the security upgrades and things like helicopter pads that have added value to his commercial property that he has not had to pay for."

Okay, I can't knock this one down off the cuff, but even if completely true, it doesn't really amount to more than peanuts by Trump's standards, and in no way is it a funds transfer to him, correct? So where I come from this particular charge would be called "candy ass." My advice is to save your charges so that they don't devalue so much.

> "Stuff like this has brought down presidents of other countries."

Yes, trumped up charges have destroyed many honest men. And so far that's all you have shown me.

> "The secert service has to buy this stuff."

So because Trump is not altering his lifestyle to save the taxpayers a few million, that's unethical? Dude, every president creates such costs in many different ways. Obama was no different. What is different is that I won't obsess over minutiae like you and sadly, some on my own side too.

> "All you have done is be unpleasent and told me to back down."

If I've upset you I'm sorry for that. What I'd like to see are reasoned arguments instead of regurgitated leftist talking points for the masses. The funny thing is, Trump has real weaknesses, but you go haring off after ethics charges because if they ever stick they are very damaging, and yet none seem to be very substantial.

If Trump really were gouging the SS, do you suppose NBC would just do an occasional bit about it? No, they would hammer him into his political grave with it! And rightly so. Any president who did that to the ones charged with taking a bullet for him would be a monster, but primarily a fool.

So your charges are very serious indeed, but they rest on weakness and wishful thinking. THAT is why I ridicule you, to get you to wake up a little.

1. James 51
                                Gimp

Trump isn't charging cost, he is making a profit. Why is that so hard for you to admit? It probably isn't a huge amount in the grand scheme of things but it does show his attitude to the office he holds.

2. James 51

@BJ BTW, the attitude you have of 'They are calling us on this, right or wrong we must attack!!!!' isn't a constructive one. Trump might actually get more of his agenda through if he wasn't his own worst enemy.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Is it OK for Trump to donate his $400k/yr salary to charity?

1. James 51
                FAIL

Sure, if he actually did it:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/after-pledging-donate-salary-trump-declines-release-proof-n732466

2. Ian Michael Gumby

Professionals not being given the proper resources?

Cupcake tell it to the Marines.

Seriously. Everyone is always asked to suck it up and do their best with the available resources.

Where has Trump taken away their resources? Oh wait, You must mean Obama...

I'm no fan of Trump, but seriously let the guy do his job before you attack him.

2. BillG
        Megaphone

@AC wrote: Hillary Clinton's hatred for the FBI, Secret Service, or anyone wearing a uniform, is well known and well documented.

Secret Service agents were always complaining that Hillary was demanding that agents carry her bags, fetch her a beverage, etc. She once famously scolded her daughter Chelsea by pointing at an agent and screaming "You don't want to grow up to be like him!"

3. Mark 85

You'd hope that Trump would golf a little less like he promised and do some work, everyone would win then (I think).

I would wish the other way and not just for him but any politician. The more golf they play, the less damage they can do.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"I would wish the other way and not just for him but any politician. The more golf they play, the less damage they can do."

Won't somebody think of the children caddies?

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

Changed hands recently. To the FBI who are currently looking at who falls for scam websites no doubt :-)

4. Tomato42
    Facepalm

This whole administration is irony and hypocrisy personified.

1. Sgt_Oddball

just you wait...

Every administration blames through one from last year.

1. Putters

Re: just you wait...

Isn't that a Mike Oldfield lyric ?

1. Sgt_Oddball

Re: just you wait...

No David ford (Requiem)

2. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

Tomatoe or Tomato that is the question Ketchup or Red Sauce? ;-)

The problem with the Trump Presidency is that he's being kneecapped by his predecessor's administration.

If you look at what he's done in the first 65 days since being in office, he's done a lot all the while he's been harassed by the Dems and the Press. The problem is that the Press and the Dems don't want him to be a success. (Trump also has to learn the rules of the sport called politics. )

With respect to the FBI and this article, they can easily get the other domains as well as let Trump play golf. Its just a matter of the FBI being tech savvy, which they are not. They could go and fight for control of the domain to shut it down. (Free clue, when you have a log in screen that is meant to confuse someone... you lose. ) All it takes is a lawyer, who happens to be on the payroll. Oh wait, that's called the DoJ or even lawyers who work directly for the FBI.

The real question is why hasn't this happened yet? My only answer is that someone needs to hit them with a clue by four unless we're missing something....

1. Florida1920

Re: Tomatoe or Tomato that is the question Ketchup or Red Sauce? ;-)

If you look at what he's done in the first 65 days since being in office, he's done a lot

If you count failing in two campaign-promised major initiatives, all the while making up conspiracy theories to cover his ineptitude, doing "a lot," I suppose you're right. Most people, however, expect something more from a president.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
          Boffin

You don't seem to remember the reversal of a lot of Obama's EOs?

And he still doesn't have all of his cabinet in place, nor has Gorsuch gotten the nod to be a Supreme.

As to the 'conspiracy theory'. Seems a whistle blower came forward and presented evidence to Nunes. And that caused the Dems a tizzy because he stopped hearing new testimony in order to get testimony from Comey and the head of the NSA behind closed doors.

Great theater if you are unbiased and non-partisan.

The wild thing... MSM skipped the whole MD rape case with the exception of Fox. CNN finally covered it for less than a couple of mins on an early morning show and that was it.

Trump's been in office 65 days or so. If you want to give him a scorecard based on his accomplishments... you've got almost 2 years of time left... BTW, Obama handed him a major carp fest. At least he's got Nikki in the UN and they're getting that cleaned up.

Lets see what happens with the Norks. Like I said. Major Carp-fest.

2. Roo
        Windows

"If you look at what he's done in the first 65 days since being in office, he's done a lot all the while he's been harassed by the Dems and the Press"

The press seems to be pretty much irrelevant judging by how much effect that accusations of sexual assaults had on his campaign. The Democrats are also irrelevant because the Republicans party enjoys a majority in both the Senate and Congress. The only thing standing in Trump's way is his own adopted party, the GOP, which has been a constant throughout Obama's terms as well.

The Whitehouse lacks leadership right now, that's Donald's can to carry.

3. Mark 85

@Ian Michael Gumby -- Re: Tomatoe or Tomato that is the question Ketchup or Red Sauce? ;-)

(Trump also has to learn the rules of the sport called politics. )

That is one of the bigger problems. Using Twatter to scream "fake news" every hour is rather tiring to read, for example and when heard enough, will be ignored. He's under heavy scrutiny from all sides, even his own party and he's fighting back using tactics better suited to the business world than politics. This is obviously a new age of politics and we must either accept it the way it is and adapt or run to the bunker and hide.

5. SotarrTheWizard

That the Fibbies are less than competent is a given. . .

. . . but why the Presidential Golf reference, considering the massive duffing of the previous President ?

1. HausWolf

Re: That the Fibbies are less than competent is a given. . .

It could be because the current one tried to say he would not golf until he had bigly solved all the problems facing the country, but has done more golf vs hours worked than any president ever.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The irony is that Trump owns several golf courses. So the real question is the cost of the security.

Obama? He had to play the courses where he was either invited or had to pay, along with hotel space for secret service and everyone else. In short Trump can easily play 2 to 3 rounds for every time Obama played one round. Not to mention... Trump actually does business when he plays. When was the last time Obama took a representative from another country for a round? The only time he played w outsiders was when he was meeting his puppet master Vernon Jordan, and Bill Clinton for Jordan's 80's B-Day.

1. Florida1920

In short Trump can easily play 2 to 3 rounds for every time Obama played one round.

You think Resort Owner Trump isn't billing the US government for President Trump's (and his entourage) use of the resorts? The government is building him a helipad at Mar-a-Largo. You think they'll tear it up when he gets kicked out of office, or let him keep it so he can add it to the resale value? This guy is the biggest swindler ever to disgrace the office of president, and we've had a few.

6. Al Brown

No https won't be an issue for the squatters once they realise they can use LetsEncrypt...

7. Captain Badmouth
    Happy

Funnily enough.....

The Times cartoon this morning shows Trump in his "bunker" :

http://feeds.thetimes.co.uk/web/imageserver/imageserver/image/methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fc86cecde-123b-11e7-b29d-ceffe88c8938.jpg?crop=2459,1639,750,257&resize=685

8. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Public Private Partnership Initiative

They are simply getting government out of the business of security and letting the private sector offer a free market alternative.

Having the government own a .com address is like communism

1. LaeMing
      Go

Re: Public Private Partnership Initiative

I thought communism was what .com meant?

9. VanguardG

Intelligence test

Log into the fake domain because you don't catch on, you're booted out of the Infragard club.

Whitehouse.gov was typo-squatted for a long time by Whitehouse.com, which was either a pron site or an online copy of Bill Clinton's proverbial "Little Black Book". Either way, it wasn't what most people expected. There's just a park-page there now, but its still not owned by the government...knowing how government works, they're probably paying $50k/month so he'll not put the adult site back up, instead of taking over the domain entirely.

Why spend $20 a year to buy it when you can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy compliance? Its only tax dollars - they can always demand more from the citizenry. No need to be economically smart about it.

10. Anonymous C0ward
    FAIL

But they use 2FA, right? Right?

11. JustNiz

Enough already.

Please can we stop artificially turning EVERYTHING into yet another opportunity to brainlessly bash Trump? It not only destroys your credability since it just looks childish, more importantly this blatantly sensationalist white noise achieves nothing other than to obscure the real issues that we actually need to be bashing Trump for.

To put this into perspective:

According to Yahoo! News Obama played 186 rounds of golf during his presidency until Aug. 12 2016. The final number was significantly more due to additional rounds on Martha’s Vineyard. Dwight Eisenhower played almost 800 rounds during his eight-year presidency, according to a study of his daily itinerary cited in Golf Digest.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Enough already.

Well,

If you use Yahoo! News as a single source for your comment you can FRO.

And you seem to have forgotten the comments Trump made with regard to golf and work.

And your stats are mot relevant, add it up when Trump gets kicked out and then do the sums.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Enough already.

"According to Yahoo! News Obama played 186 rounds of golf during his presidency until Aug. 12 2016. The final number was significantly more due to additional rounds on Martha’s Vineyard. Dwight Eisenhower played almost 800 rounds during his eight-year presidency, according to a study of his daily itinerary cited in Golf Digest."

So, basically what you are saying is these are very busy people who don't have time for golf so they get themselves a nice high paying job with plenty of time of to improve their golf handicap? Sounds like a plan.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

damned if they do, damned if they don't

So, say, the FBI under the Trump administration "squashes" (article's own words) the typosquatter site. Then we get Massive Outrage of how Heavy Handed Trump Has No Sense Of Humor or some other shite.

Let it go as it's not a threat (also according to the article) and it's "money for golf but not for getting this site"

Its almost as if the Partisan Warriors don't give two shites as to what is done or not, because it All Must Be Negative.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like