back to article BT hit with £42m fine for Ethernet compensation delays to competitors

BT has been smacked with a £42m penalty for its failure via Openreach to compensate other telecoms providers for delays to fixing leased line "Ethernet" services, in a decision from Ofcom today. As a result of the investigation, BT said it estimates it will pay an additional £300m in compensation to the affected communications …

1. Halfmad

How incredibly convenient

That this news comes out shortly AFTER a decision is made not to completely split BT from Openreach, one may ponder why it wasn't announced just a few weeks ago where it would have been seen as a fairly damning indictment of the way the two work together (but totally don't, no way, not at all.)

1. Phil_Evans

Re: How incredibly convenient

Agree. Just another headache for BT, albeit hitting them in a back pocket that's already hurting from Corporate Fraud in its European Operation. Would be interesting to start bidding for FFTC and revoking the Line Rental mandate on BB providers. The monopoly has been going on too long.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A bit like Amazon regards Sales Tax, you can keep fighting tooth and nail with Gov legislation, but eventually you just end up so wrapped up in red tape.

It probably would have been better for BT/Openreach to just agree to start a headline rollout of pure FTTP on lines longer than 500m by copper pair (250m-Crow Flies), instead of gouging older tech Ethernet lines for those business customers (set actual targets, not Ofcom approved averaged wishy washy lame data across both rural/urban, to make rural figures look pretty).

You know BT, you might actually get some Good PR from that.

The biggest problem with G.fast is it's anti-competitive compared to FTTP and it doesn't scale (it's fully sweated copper tech with low upper limits), especially regards upload speeds. Bonding copper lines might sweat things a bit more, but the whole thing just becomes an unreliable mess (in terms of time wasted) when scaled across millions of customers.

If we thought things were bad now (and that Ofcom decision has taken 3 years), wait till "up to" Obfuscated, Bamboozled G.fast hits the real world.

We're heading for an absolute nightmare in terms of the blame game. Sharon White + others obviously don't feel they're paid enough to take on the real separation of BT (i.e. Openreach Assets) they like the easy life too much.

I personally have no faith in "G.fast obsessed" Openreach's Clive Selley, (I feel he has been parachuted in by BT Group, G.fast was his baby) though hope he proves me wrong.

Simply, G.fast plans need to be ditched. It's obsolete technology,

1. Detective Emil
        Thumb Up

Bonding copper lines might sweat things a bit more, but the whole thing just becomes an unreliable mess (in terms of time wasted) when scaled across millions of customers.

Too right. Here in Nameless European Country, we have two bonded copper pairs giving us 100Mbps down and 50 up (true figures). And yet another warm box with blinkenlights in the service cupboard. Silly thing is, FTTP arrived the following year, but the provider won't put in the final 2m of connection between the termination and out router unless we want to shell out for more capacity (or less latency — but, if I asked for that, the help desk would not know how to react) than the copper will provide.

4. Roland6 Silver badge

But also nicely illustrates that Ofcom got it wrong, again!

Instead of trying to separate BT and Openreach, it should have separated the retail operations, so 'BT' becomes more of a virtual network operator sitting on top of the old BT infrastructure.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You can bet that idea was never put on the table by BT. And of course, Ofcom themselves, have zero ideas. Ofcom are brain dead Fcuking Puppets, to put it bluntly, 99.9% of the time.

2. wolfetone Silver badge

Considering that BT has paid £1.2 Billion for the rights to put some football on TV, what's £42 million to them?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

£1.2 Billion would help great deal in getting VDSL (or better) to areas which still have crappy ADSL.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

But having the rights to football, aligns BT's interests with SKY et al.: BT to get a return on that investment actually needs to get VDSL (or better) to areas with ADSL so people can subscribe to the service...

3. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Boffin

Which reminds me...

I'm still waiting for a review on how the privatisation experiment has worked out. Possibly good for some sectors (aerospace?), rubbish for others (rail?). I'm assuming that government is evidence based so that it can learn from past successes and mistakes. Isn't it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Which reminds me...

Well I can safely say that British Telecom (before that GPO), were terrible before being privatised, You were lucky if you got a phone line installed in less than 6 months. Repairs took months and investment prior to being sold off was all but non-existant. Charges were astronomicaly and you really did have a monopoly situation.

Trains were ancient and rarely arrived on time (not everyone has to suffer Southern). Cancellations were the norm, strikes were forever ongoing and the rolling stock was utterly shit (and smelt like it).

Not everything works well, but rose tinted glasses and all that.

1. Aitor 1

That is a problem of leadership and management.. you can do the same wih a public company.

If you think private companies run everything better, why not outsource the house of commons and the house of lords?

1. Adrian 4

We did. We (the public) outsourced day to day decision making to paid lackeys, viz. Parliament. And now they're screwing us over, just like all the others.

2. Adrian 4

That's a bit unfair,. laying British Rail's failings at the door of British Telecom.

2. Aitor 1

Natural monopolies will always act as such, so it is way better to have then under strict laws and control. At that point, it is just better for them to be part of government, because private industry has nothing to offer, not having a say on policies.

The rail only makes sense as a fully public or fully private (as in we dont care about the good of society, only profit) business... smae for water utilities, and power utilities.

I have yet to see a country that made power utilities private and got cheaper prices and incresed reliability. It is simply impossible, the companies will always try to charge as much as possible while saving on reliability as much as they can get away with.. there is no magic,

Now, things like car manufacturers, or plane manufacturers.. that is different. They will still try to form cartels, but they are not completely natural cartels.

3. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

I'm still waiting for a review on how the privatisation experiment has worked out.

Here are some reminders about BT:

* I remember seeing stickers on phones urging you NOT to make phone calls.

* There were different call rates for morning and afternoon.

* You couldn't own a phone, just rent one.

4. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
      Mushroom

I'm assuming that government is evidence based so that it can learn from past successes and mistakes. Isn't it?

Hahahahahahahaha.

Go and ask David Nutt. When he presented evidence to the government that their drugs policy was not based on scientific evidence, what did they do? Fire him.

Or what about the infamous Iragi WMD fiasco. Bugger all evidence that there were any, but they still sent in troops to topple Saddam to remove his non-existent WMDs.

Remember, all a government cares about is staying in power. It has little interest in doing what's best.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: I'm assuming that government is evidence based so that it can learn from past successes and mistakes. Isn't it?

Hahahahahahahaha.

You can add to that list:

HS2

Smartmeters

5. Blitheringeejit
      Holmes

Have you not heard the phrase "policy-based evidence-making"..?

4. Cuddles

aadvice

"broadband aadvice site Cable.co.uk"

An aadvice site for aardvarks, presumably?

5. AndrueC Silver badge
    Facepalm

Oh how ironic. It was around that time (winter of '12/'13) that I was helping get fibre installed to our office park. I thought it was a bit naff how they suddenly extended our go live date by two months. I forget what their excuse was but I remember I thought it was lame.

The irony is that six months later I was made redundant when the office was closed down and I notice now that the village it was part of now has FTTC and we'd have been happy just with that.

Unfortunately as with all corporate fines it will just be placed into the 'operating expenses' column and most likely paid for by customers.

Still, it does you good to laugh.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Unfortunately as with all corporate fines it will just be placed into the 'operating expenses' column and most likely paid for by customers.

Additionally, the fine itself will disappear into Ofcom benefiting none of the businesses inconvenienced...

If Ofcom had the sense they would put the fine into the connected cities pot and so smaller businesses can get grants for upgrading to fibre...

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Unfortunately as with all corporate fines it will just be placed into the 'operating expenses' column and most likely paid for by customers."

I wonder if anyone ever actually looks at the accounts for the year the fine is incurred to make the fine is in the loss column against the company dividends and prices didn't get an out of sequence hike?

Maybe the fine ought to be deferred until the next divi is due and cream it directly off that value?

6. phuzz Silver badge

All those years that BT has said "Why would you want to split off OpenReach? It's completely fine that we're the same company!"

This is why BT, this is why.

7. adam payne

I bet all £42 million of that fine will be passed on to the customers.

If I have to pay towards your fine BT through increased pricing then I want FTTC at the very least.

You have done half the town and left the rest of us to rot on ADSL.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

All I can hear at this moment in my head, is the Magic Roundabout theme tune. One big Merry-go-round, that achieves absolutely nothing.

8. Lee D Silver badge

Good timing.

I work at a school that spent THREE YEARS waiting for Openreach to install a leased line. Literally, they did nothing until the last months when I took over and ramped up the complaining, then they put empty fibre tubes all over the site (three different sections), then when it came time to blow the fibre, they said there was "no room at the exchange"... maybe in those three years someone could have checked and/or upgraded capacity? They never completed and we eventually blocked them from site because they kept trying to come back to "complete the install" after we cancelled the contract.

However, our new site has no choice but to use Openreach even if we specify Virgin as the vendor on our end. As such, we're expecting Openreach to drag their feet like they did for our first site. Maybe this will gee them up a bit, with a bit of prompting from Virgin (who we actually contract with).

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Maybe this will gee them up a bit, with a bit of prompting from Virgin (who we actually contract with)."

I was on site recently at a large city council HQ. Unrelated, but within earshot, was two council comms/IT guys, a BT engineer and a VM engineer. The jist of the conversation was that over the years both BT and VM had installed phone lines, depending on who had the contract at the time, but no one knew who owned this particular live phone point. It was a live, direct dial line. The council guy plugged in a phone and rang his own mobile from it to demostrate that it worked, but neither the BT nor VM guy was prepared to own up to "owning" that line. Both were ringing back to base but neither company seemed able to track the number or ownership of where this call was coming from or if it could, (or ever had been) billed. Sadly I had to leave site so don't know what happened, but at that stage it seemed neither BT nor VM were going to admit to this stealth phone line.

Personally I'd have rung the speaking clock in Australia and then just left the receiver off the hook and see how long it took for someone to notice :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon