back to article Yet another job menaced by AI! Uh, wait, it says here... Dance Dance Revolution designers

Dance Dance Revolution – one of the few computer games that causes players to break into a sweat – is getting a boost from artificial intelligence. The game is frequently spotted in arcades. Players stand on a metallic square pad that has up, down, left and right arrow buttons, and you basically follow on-screen prompts to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"now you can use machine learning to create dance patterns for anyone song or track you want."

Heh ... I'd like to see what they'd come up with for something like, oooh, Dream Theater's "Dance Of Eternity" - 6-and-a-bit minutes, 118 time changes (see here)

Dance to that - I double dare ya!

1. wolfetone Silver badge

I see your Dream Theater, and I raise you a Dragonforce.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easy!

Never mind that - I want to see what it does with 4′33″.

1. ThomH

Re: Easy!

Although us Brits spend ours reversing around corners and parallel parking, the reversing portion of the Californian driving test is merely: reverse in a straight line. So you need to employ all of your spatial abilities and focus on remembering NOT to turn the wheel while also keeping your foot depressed.

I'd dare imagine those of us who have taken the Californian test would excel at the DDR version of 4'33".

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Easy!

My exact thought. There is music which will bend any dance designer's head in. 4.33 is not the most insane from dance perspective.

The most insane is stuff done in 3/8, 5/8, 8/8 and (yes there is even that abomination 13/8 rhythm. Give it some music from the Balkans and let's see what it makes up out of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qYh-dJriIc - here is a good example.

If you want a workout try one of those. Just getting the steps right will get a river of sweat running off you in 5 mins or less.

3. Mike 16

Break into a sweat?

Even spectators break into a sweat with the variant Dance Dance Immolation:

http://www.interpretivearson.com/projects/ddi/

4. frank ly

Dance Wellies

Is that a thing now?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Alert

Re: Dance Wellies

Never been to a barn dance? Watch where you step!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More than just arrows c:

Neat! I can see the research being useful for music visualisation/virtual VJ where lining up visuals to detected beats and forming repeating (but not too boring) patterns is totally a desired thing.

6. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    Coat

Game release versions?

For example DDR3 - dancing on the bus?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like