back to article Strike that: 17,000 AT&T workers down tools in California, Nevada

More than 17,000 workers for AT&T belonging to the Communications Workers of America downed tools and went on strike in California and Nevada on Wednesday after restructuring talks broke down. The dispute centers on AT&T's plans to make engineers servicing the US giant's U-Verse TV service also do repairs and maintenance on …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How to cancel your AT&T cellular service

I should be a giant fan of AT&T. My dad spent the whole of his career there having been gobbled up in an earlier merge with Western Electric. He retired early and has received many benefits, but this does not translate to me being their customer. In fact, being their customer sucked. I had their landline and cell service for many years, and just wanted out of their spy business once that became known. Not that T-Mobile is not effected similarly when Uncle Sam comes for my metadata, but more so how easily AT&T gets into bed with the various US spy agencies, with nary a thought about my privacy, and even sells popular packages of data to police forces and the government. No, no, my privacy is very low on the to do list over there, if it even exists at all. Here is the top of their to do list; spy on all customers for no reason whatsoever, overcharge for services, charge money for texting when it is merely a bit of unused cell packet preamble data, and generally play the act of the unconcerned corporation with respects to adding any value to their offerings. Anything for a buck. I could not wait to switch to another provider that I think does add value to the services I am receiving, and generally seems to give a shit about their customers.

Here's how. Don't call. You will invoke the attention of not only the call center stooge, but their manager, and then another manager, while they drag their feet pretending they are canceling your service by offering you even more services and devices! Forget that mess. Just walk into their local showroom, get your phone ready by backing up your data and doing a factory wipe on it, if need be. Then you are out of there in just a few minutes. No fuss. No hard-sell to stay and get shitted on more. In, cancel, out.

Still, if you don't give two shits about your privacy, then by all means; remain their customer. Enjoy!

1. MNGrrrl

Re: How to cancel your AT&T cellular service

> Still, if you don't give two shits about your privacy, then by all means; remain their customer. Enjoy!

I love this guy. He thinks corporations want to differentiate themselves with their privacy policy. That's adorkable.

Here's the reality: They're all the same. They will schlurp your data and sell it, and consider telling you or getting permission to be optional -- and the law agrees, because the people getting screwed don't have money, and in our legal system money is the only thing that talks. But ignore that; Let's say you find your unicorn cellular provider who has that -- they are still only going to be able to sell you a cell phone that will, of course, schlurp your data and sell it. They don't even make phones anymore that don't do this -- Pretty much anything after 3G started rolling out does it, and before that it was becoming commonplace. And that'll still leave you with the government schlurping up all your data -- and as we're starting to see, they don't mind selling that data to corporations.

You're screwed no matter how you approach it. And just FYI, AT&T isn't any different than the rest on cooperating with the government -- it's quite strange, almost like getting arrested and disappeared off to the American version of the Star Chamber before suffering some unspeakable horror at the behest of "national security" gives high levels of compliance. This invasive and pervasive surveillance is hardwired into everything; Even children's toys. You're not a person anymore, you aren't even a citizen or a consumer, or even a *number* anymore... you are now a product. We accept Visa or Mastercard, but not American Depressed.

2. MNGrrrl
    Pint

"We're a customer service company and we plan for all contingencies, whether related to weather, natural disasters, work stoppages or any other factors."

I'm noting here "poor management" isn't part of that list. It reminds me of when, a very long time ago, back in the early days of the internet, Usenet got sick of AT&T not doing anything about spammers on Usenet, so the sysadmins of the thousand or so list servers got together and voted to carry out a "Usenet death penalty" due to a lack of response to dozens of requests, which would blacklist AT&T's network from Usenet*. At the last hour (literally) a response was posted, it went more or less like this --

"We don't have a problem and we're working to fix it as quickly as possible."

Some things never change.

--

*Note: I think it was net.abuse, or one of the news.admin where the post was made. I don't have the exact quote or source because 17 years ago on the internet is like asking for a citation from 1496 on what the priests in France said at their annual meeting. Someone more bored than me can go chase it down if they're feeling like a net.archaeologist. While you're out there, let me know if you find the bones of some of the early attempts at p2p file sharing -- the stuff that pre-dates torrenting and had searches and encryption built in from the start. A pity people abandoned it for the far less robust and easier to dismantle 'torrent' system we have today...

1. jake Silver badge

AT&T was never UDPed.

I can't even remember them being threatened with a UDP. Compuserve, Netcom, UUNET, AOL, @home, BBN, Erols, TIAC were all threatened with a UDP for hosting spammers, and a couple were actively UDPed. These are just the larger outfits that I can remember off the top of my head, there were many smaller companies. I issued quite a few cancels myself. But AT&T? Not that I remember. (I started running news servers in the days of Bnews & UUCP; I still run a hobby server based on INN).

TINC

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: AT&T was never UDPed.

Depends on when the UDP was issued. If it was issued against @home after 2001 then that would of been ATT.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
          Headmaster

obGrammarNaziHijack: Would. Have.

2. jake Silver badge

@home was to be UDPed in early 2000 ... They cleaned up their act before it became an active "cancel at will" UDP. Mission accomplished. Remember, the intention of a UDP was as a threat ... Nobody involved (that I am aware of!) wanted to actually carry one out. UDPs existed as a defense against the extreme waste of resources characterized by USENET spam and it's "cost shifted advertising" business model.

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

This is surprising

I did not know that AT&T was maintaining its infrastructure. I had always figured that AT&T was one of the worst telcos but nobody complains about them because they're so easy to leave.

4. retired_in_london

AT&T has always had the worst employees, worst customer service, worst everything.

It'd be an actual upgrade to replace the lazy, rude workers with robots.

1. Old Used Programmer

Worse than you know...

I can't speak to "AT&T" per se, but before they got gobbled back into the borg collective, I worked for PacBell. You think the customer facing techs are bad at their jobs? Those are the *good* ones. The bad ones were shuffled off to be internal support (called "Official Communications Services"--OCS--at the the time). Even the shop steward at the headquarters building agreed that he had to deal with a prize crew of screw ups. They did manage to glom onto a couple of actually competent techs to unravel the more egregious errors committed by the usual run of incompetents.

1. Blotto Silver badge
        Pint

Re: Worse than you know...

Same story at any largish company in any company.

Take the NHS, some utterly incompetent downright dangerous hollyer than thou god syndrome fuckwits interspersed with some genuinely saintly amazing experienced individuals that can save your life just by chance over hearing a conversation about your symptoms whilst rushing down a corridor to save some else's life (like house, but for real & without all the nonsense & theatrical performance ).

You always want more of the great but I guess you need the terrible ones to fill in the gaps and bump up the costs.

2. kain preacher

Re: Worse than you know...

Actually SBC bought ATT in reverse buy out. SBC always had a shitty management attitude. When the SBC management took over thats when ATT went to shit. You could tell which use to be SBC and who was ATT prior by the attitude.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Lowest

I had the misfortune of working for AT&T for about nine months, and second everything you say. Anyone who is employable leaves the cess pool as soon as they find an out. The dregs of humanity remain. It's really a very efficient selection process for building a pool of workers who'll put up with anything.

5. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Seems that in this day and age every company+dog is intent on milking its employees for all they can, whilst making the fatcats fatter.

Been there, got the short end of the stick, didn't liked it, resigned and went back to my old job (with better prospects).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heh heh

Also, general strike 5/1. I mean.......... thanks Reg.

x378965

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like