back to article Uber bans 'brilliant jerks', will train staff on Why Diversity Matters

Throughout its recent sexism and scofflaw scandals, Uber hasn't denied that its culture has some invidious aspects. And now the company has promised to get rid of them. Uber on Tuesday let it be known it staged an all-hands meeting in which board member Arianna Huffington declared “Going forward there can be no room at Uber …

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Forget about all the diversity and non-sexism initiatives. These issues can be solved with a simple and broader No Arsholes Rule (Robert Sutton). Implementation might be not that simple though, especially if it's AHs that should implement it...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too little, too late

Why do I have the impression that action was only taken now because it starts to affect profits? Ditto all the talk from major shareholders - only now?

That their numbers are still going up is a nice way to avoid mentioning that the ramp up is slowing, that whole #DeleteUber campaign has done some serious damage, and the reasons for that are easy: Uber treats its customers like it treats its staff. That is an attitude that comes from and is enabled by a senior level, so coaching STAFF may give some change, but it's not where the problem reside IMHO.

1. DavCrav

Re: Too little, too late

"Why do I have the impression that action was only taken now because it starts to affect profits?"

What profits?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: What profits ?

I don't think that it is the absence of profits that matters. If that were so, we never would have seen the startup bubble with so many young companies bleeding cash yet still looking like darlings. Well, until Chapter 11, that is.

The thing is, Uber is operating in the billions range, and that matters. It is what makes Uber a company with weight. The fact that, like a young bully, it doesn't yet know how to throw its weight around properly is neither here nor there.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: What profits ?

"The thing is, Uber is operating in the billions range, and that matters."

To big to fail? :-)

Never mind, Uber don't employ anyone anyway and their drivers are all self-employed part timers who happen to be driving in certain directions and make a little extra on the side by giving someone a lift </sarc>

3. lukewarmdog
    Unhappy

No, you're a jerk.

Let's hope nobody chokes on anything because I think the Heimlich maneuver would count as a "brilliant jerk".

For starters, "brilliant jerk" is not a category, secondly it's not the one they need to address.

Since when was "jerk" synonymous with sexist, racist, homophobic, misogynist etc. etc.

Seems to me they're leaving the door open for the current management to carry on being dicks.

1. Korev Silver badge

Re: No, you're a jerk.

To me it says "No matter how good you are; if you act like a dick then you're out". I hope that's the case.

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

Was it an 'all-hands on' because it seems like a large number of females were present saying how things will get better. Where were they when things weren't better?

1. Justicesays

Based on the statements of Susan Fowler, they were in the same jobs, but were then ignoring complaints, belittling staff, and covering up and complicit with the activities they are now decrying.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To hell with "Ride Sharing". I'll drive myself in my own car, TY.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'll drive myself in a car-sharing car. Much less hassle than owning a car myself and I probably couldn't afford a BMW convertible.

Nevertheless, after a few drinks, I won't drive. Personally, I prefer a proper Taxi over an Uber any day.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PC buzzword bullshit...

... turned up to 11.

>“focus on diversity and inclusion” Uber's watchwords. She also revealed that the company will soon

>deliver training on “Why Diversity Matters; How to be an Ally; and Building Inclusive Teams.”

Another HR wonk demonstrating why every other department in a company sees them as little more than a self important bunch of fools who think they run the company but generally know feck all about what the company does or how it does it. The personal dept was the place that people who couldn't do anything else generally ended up - renaming it to HR hasn't changed that in the slightest.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: PC buzzword bullshit...

"The personal dept"

.. Sounds interesting, what sort of personal services do they deal with?

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Big Brother

Ah but she has a secret weapon

Persistent offenders will report here for "retraining"

Be seeing you.

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Same HR people?

Would this training be delivered by the same HR people that told Susan Fowler there was nothing they could do because the alleged harasser was a high performer? If so, why are the leaders of that group still at the company?

Uber's sin was not just having jerks on staff, but having an HR function that failed to protect the employee. Heads should be rolling all over that firm right now.

1. Diogenes

Re: Same HR people?

(Moriarty* voice on) you silly boy (off)

You have forgotten the role of hr is protect the company from its employees

* goon show Moriarty

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like