back to article Brit firm lands £58m EU spy drone 'copter contract

A British firm has won a contract with the EU to supply border control surveillance helicopter drones. Martek Marine boasts that the £58m EU Maritime Safety Agency contract will see its products being used for “border control activities, search & rescue operations and monitoring of pollution, as well as the detection of …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Well, if Britain's good enough to spy on Trump (allegedly) , it's certainly good enough to spy on EU nationals !!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nicely balanced piece(not)

troubled political project

faltering steps towards building its own armed forces

I know that George Osbourne had become editor of the evening standard, but i hadn't realised that Nigel Farage was now editor of the El Reg

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nicely balanced piece(not)

These million quid drones will be no match for my billion quid MIRV nuclear trident

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nicely balanced piece(not)

Were those quotes in the article? I can't see them there. Or have they been modifying articles without an update notice again?

3. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"Martek Marine boasts that the £58m EU Maritime Safety Agency contract will see its products being used for “border control activities,"

I wonder how this might tie in with Brexit?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I wonder how this might tie in with Brexit?

Yes, if it had been an American company that had won the deal would the article have said "despite the revolution"?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

American companies are not allowed to enter EU competition. Neither are non-EU countries. Only when there is a duly justified reason. And as the UK is still part of the EU, British companies can still make a bid.

2. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
      Trollface

They will be deployed to ensure that no Brit tries to enter a civilized country and steal our cheeses and wines...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hopefully it'll be used to confine Farage to a very small island such as Rockall, which is the correct rhyme for the number of lives he should be allowed to f*ck with.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"drones will be used on quasi-civilian ships"

Quick, phone Capita, there's a need for a zero-hours navy.

The only question is, will they provide their own ships? Nope, thought not.

1. Gordon 10

Re: "drones will be used on quasi-civilian ships"

Don't be silly, not when is can be sold at a discount to Capita then leased back at enormous expense over decades. Plus a couple of the MP's get a seat on the board/trough.

5. NonSSL-Login
    Coat

The UK is known as the orwellian surveillance state, so it's no surprise that we still get contracts relating to spying and surveillance. We are good at it and have reputation to boot!

Good in business circles, bad for privacy loving citizens.

Can't mumble over us getting these contracts though. Makes the re-moaners cry a little too.

Such a mixed bag of feelings over one single contract. Damn you el-reg!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mark my words, as much as most of us love technology, sadly it will ultimately be used to enslaven us; monitoring and controlling us. Those sitting on top of the tree will benefit the most.

This is why the rich and the government are so keen on drone technology. Add robots and AI to that too. See where this is all going?

Even the Queen mentioned it in her speech, and related topics have come in past Bilderberg meetings (which are available online to view)

Note the companies attending Bilderberg. Google are regulars there and Deepmind have been attending too. That's not a good sign.

6. hammarbtyp

Alternative Headline

"British drone firm wins EU maritime safety contract "

It was a real pity that the author decided to conflate their prejudices with an otherwise interesting technology story about the use of drones to replace expensive manned services.

There is nothing here about Brexit. The firm already supplies drones for maritime pollution emission testing and therefore they were front runners to extend the contract. Of course it only runs for 2 years to give the contracting agency a get out clause at the end (If you wanted a Brexit angle you could of mentioned that the UK will have to fund a presently shared service, presumably at extra cost after Brexit)

As for the mention of the european army, well it might of escaped the authors attention that the drones are unarmed and the EMSa is a purely civilian agency tasked with Maritime safety. As for the cheap "troubled political project" jibe, well, if i wanted that sort of biased reporting I would go and read Breibart

7. Yes Me Silver badge
    Headmaster

Despite what?

"Despite BREXIT"? If you haven't noticed, it hasn't happened. Unless very very recently, Dictatrix Maybe hasn't even handed in the UK's notice yet. There's no reason companies wouldn't win contracts for now; in fact under EU rules they probably must win them if they submit the cheapest valid bid. The collapse of the economy doesn't start until we actually leave, for which even Maybe has been very careful not to set a date.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Despite what?

""Despite BREXIT"? " - yes, as a previous commentard said, if we want this sort of blatant propaganda we would be reading Sh?tebart.

The long term impact of the UK leaving the EU will be seen and felt over a term of years and decades, and only the naive would suggest that everything will be wonderful based on the "evidence" that nothing has changed inside nine months (especially when the Article 50 notice hasn't even gone in yet!). Sadly, on this issue, "naive", "biased" and "journalist" have become synonyms in far too many newspapers: it would be sad to see El Reg following the herd rather than trying to provide independent and balanced reporting.

1. Paul Kunert
        Pint

Re: Despite what?

We are a broad church but no one single journo should get to push their own agenda. Please consider this a St Patrick's Day wobble as senior ed staff headed to the pub early. Normal service resumed. Paul @ The Reg.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like