back to article Google borks its Drive Windows app – after pushing out unfinished buggy version to public

The Google Drive app for Windows has crashed and burned – after the tech genius hub pushed out an unfinished and faulty software update. Reports of the cockup surfaced after hundreds of users posted their frustrations on social media, Reddit, and Google Product Forums. It basically means netizens can't access their cloud …

1. J.Smith
    Gimp

Not just MS

I see, it's not just evil MS that &%$*-up things.

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: Not just MS

Seemingly not.

Doesn't look like the Chocolate Factory have their A team working on this thing. Which is a bit odd.

If they wanted to be taken seriously as a provider of stuff for business, to have one major component of their offering (Google Drive) effectively useless on one of the major OSes for businesses (Windows) means the whole thing is not worth it.

1. TReko

Google is fortunate in that most of their software is on the cloud. So it is easier to undo cock-ups than if you've installed on client's desktops.

That said, we stopped using Google's own Drive client a while ago and switched to SyncDocs for Drive which is way better, but not free.

2. Hans 1
        Stop

>If they wanted to be taken seriously as a provider of stuff for business

Who said Google Drive was for business ? It is not, nor is OneDrive, share documents much ? MS has admitted to having MS employees crawl through the stuff one puts on it ... you would not want to put sensitive corporate stuff on there, right ?

2. RyokuMas
      Facepalm

Google are becoming more like the Microsoft of old with every passing incident.

I'm just looking forward to the day when the Microsoft-hate-brigades who have been hailing Google as their champion for so long suddenly realise that their would-be saviour has actually put them in a worse place that Microsoft ever did...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. stephanh

What to use?

So the Windows version of Drive is "not getting much love from Google engineers", the Linux version is non-existing and the Mac version completely s*cks in my experience.

On what desktop platform is Google planning to provide a reasonable experience for Drive? RiscOS?

1. tony2heads

Re: What to use?

https://github.com/Grive/grive

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

On what desktop platform is Google planning to provide a reasonable experience for Drive? RiscOS?

ChromeOS of course silly.

3. VinceH

"On what desktop platform is Google planning to provide a reasonable experience for Drive? RiscOS?"

Please - no.

4. Bloodbeastterror

After Google breaking Android Pay with a botched Nexus 6 March security update, a process which itself was botched (update pulled and later restored without explanation), it looks as if Google has problems with its quality control. Not impressive.

1. Ron2016

Not sure why so many people fan for Google.

Looking for enterprise quality, they are far away to go.

A lot of products are just raw, prototype class quality.

5. sabroni Silver badge
    WTF?

And if MS had pushed out (more) borked software?

You wouldn't be able to fucking move in here for smart arses gloating.

6. Planty Bronze badge
    FAIL

and is known for being riddled with bugs

Hi!M. Mine just works, always has. There is some weirdness with 2FA interactions with my phone on initial setup, where i need to auth by text message rather than the play services authentication, but no biggie, aside from that 100% robust and reliable.

It also seems the "evidence" otherwise consists of just a broken link....

7. JimmyPage Silver badge
    FAIL

Seems the new paradigm ...

How much modern software would you trust to take into battle ?

8. TeeCee Gold badge
    Meh

Not the first time Google have a shipped a "public Alpha" and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Still trying to work out whether they do this intentionally or not.

9. patrickstar

This happening should tell a lot about how secure Google software updates actually are.

Signing a software update (they ARE signed and the signatures ARE checked, right?) should be a big deal. Involving several people authenticating themselves, physically at a HSM, after unlocking the safe/vault where it's kept. Not something you can do by accident without leaving the chair.

10. szirpola
    Thumb Down

Drive still will not sync multiple files

Even after the upgrade some users will still get errors and are unable to sync..

Google Drive Error D41D "Unspecified Error" when trying to upload/sync large amount of files and the sync app quits.

Similar to https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/drive/mo298Ko1vUY and https://superuser.com/questions/1151723/google-drive-error-d41d-unspecified-error-when-trying-to-upload-sync-large-amo

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Confidential UI?

I'm a bit troubled by that 'Confidential. Do not leak!' label.

It seems to suggest something more secretive than a simple WIP.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon