back to article Come in King Battistelli, your time at the Euro Patent Office is up

Time is running out for European Patent Office president Benoit Battistelli. After years of turmoil at the international organization thanks to his heavy-handed reform efforts, it seems that patience at the political level is finally giving out. In the past week, two documents have been posted online indicating that the Dutch …

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
    Unhappy

It ain't over till the fat lady sings

The story has evolved for so long with new twists that I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for closure.

1. John G Imrie

Re: It ain't over till the fat lady sings

This has given me almost as much fun as SCO v's the World. Though I hope Battistelli does not last as long.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: It ain't over till the fat lady sings

"Though I hope Battistelli does not last as long."

Either he'll reach retirement age before any action is taken, or he'll suddenly decide he wants to spend more time with his family just when it comes to a point where even he realises that he's about to be sacked.

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Nasty Man

Battistelli sounds like a very nasty piece of work. For the staff at the EPO, I hope he gets kicked out quickly.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Nasty Man

I have a friend working there (Netherlands), and it went from a beautiful place to work, to someplace you dump toxic waste... His workload has tripled maybe even more. No longer a happy worker.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Childcatcher

He's probably got a patent on

Being the most [redacted] boss possible. A sort of PHB of PHB's.

That way they'll never forget his time at the top (or at least until the patent expires)

1. Bowlers

Re: He's probably got a patent on

Perhaps it's time for a new El Reg measurement; 1 Battistelli = an insufferable boss hated by all under him and impossible to reason with. It would be difficult to estimate how many Battistellis someone like Kim Jong-un would deserve though, maybe a kB unit is needed as well.

1. Mark 85

Would 1 Ba be equivalent to 100 PHB's? Or do we different orders definitions of magnitude?

1 KJ-u would need quite a few Ba's as KJ-u uses the tried and proven death penalty for settling any and all disputes with underlings... for reference I offer Stalin and Mao to name two.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I would suggest that 1B is bit like light speed. All other units can only ever be fractions of B

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

"All other units can only ever be fractions of B"

Wot about the Trump, surely 1B must be a fraction of 1T?

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

So how long has his current contract got to go and can he just extended it himself because everyone is too afraid to go against him?

5. Justicesays
    Devil

Well, given the Dutch courts ruling

The ILO, also being an international organization, can presumably just create it's own army/police force and invade the EPO's Dutch office. I mean, it might be against the laws of Holland , but apparently those wouldn't apply.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He's now in prime position ..

.. for a job offer from the Trump administration..

7. Steve Crook

Rumour is that...

He'll be joining the EU Brexit negotiating team...

Can we have a false news icon please...

8. cs94njw

The awful thing is... I bet he won't be punished in any way. Maybe even paid to leave :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I bet he won't be punished in any way.

Blame the liberals and their aversion to "cruel and unusual". Personally, I'd have him branded across the forehead with "WANKER" or a suitable French alternative, and regard the job as done. Or surgically remove his pecker and reattach it to his forehead...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

plus ça change

The way I read it, the situation is exactly the same as it was before.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Golden parachute?

Early termination of his tenure will almost certainly mean a massive payoff. He needs to face some kind of disciplinary tribunal and dismissal for misconduct in public office.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon