back to article Salford and Liverpool City Councils plan IT trading venture

Two northern councils have teamed up to sell technology and services commercially. Salford – home of MediaCityUK and the BBC's Northern HQ – and Liverpool City Councils plan to establish a trading entity within the next 12-18 months to both compete against and collaborate with firms in the private sector. It's hoped a third, …

1. Gordon Pryra
    Mushroom

What other big tech companies do we have up there?

KCOM.........

(nb "up there = + 52° 19' 15.79" N)

2. Buzzword

Who is buying?

Presumably they'll only be selling technology & services to other local authorities? This seems eminently sensible.

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: Who is buying?

Hopefully, I wouldn't agree at all to them competing with the private sector on a larger scale than that. It's one way of reducing the financial pressure from the removal of revenue support grants but it shouldn't be at the expense of the economy. A lot of councils are going to be doing things like this within the next few years.

3. frank ly

Better late than never

"The Salford and Liverpool plan follows 12 months' collaboration that began with Liverpool looking for a partner to help on an ERP and financials projects, which saw the pair first share the price of a premium SAP engagement package."

They should all have been doing this sort of collaboration for years. It's good to know that this form of mutual working is becoming a thing nowadays. All we need now is for the various police forces to start cooperating with each other when specifying and buying equipment ... etc .... etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Better late than never

Police forces cooperating! hahahahahahahaha.

Easier to blame the government for lack of cash resulting in loss of officers, rather than do anything about the 42 different forces all with their own, IT, HR, cars, Chief constables, deputy CC's, etc costing a packet.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Big Brother

Re: Better late than never

"Easier to blame the government for lack of cash resulting in loss of officers, rather than do anything about the 42 different forces all with their own, IT, HR, cars, Chief constables, deputy CC's, etc costing a packet."

You almost make it sound like you support a single national police force. With Theresa May in charge and Snooper Charter 2.0 on the books and the lack of oversight from the various EU institutions looming, I'm not sure that's really a such a good idea.

4. annodomini2

More privatisation by the back door

How long before these commercial entities are sold off?

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: More privatisation by the back door

well, so far Norfolk County Council have held onto their "Norse Group" and are running joint enterprises with Barnsley, Devon, Enfield, Medway and other councils outside their East Anglian heartland. I suppose it depends on how much money they make - "too much" and someone will want to make an offer the councils can't refuse (and then gouge them afterwards) , a massive loss and even the most fiendish of asset strippers wouldn't touch them.

5. HmmmYes

Err, the UKS biggest listed tech company is Sage, based in Newcastle.

As far as councils, IT, and tradig companies go, good luck. There's a reason why a lot of people work in the public sector.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"There's a reason why a lot of people work in the public sector."

Siloed practices?

Merging many back office roles and that includes IT I'm afraid, can reduce duplication. At best it means they no longer have to advertise for unfilled vacancies, at worse, redundancies.

It's no different from a private business buying another business. You'll find HR, admin, cleaners, IT, building management and many other departments trimmed back.

6. andy gibson

CoSocius

CoSocius - set up from Cheshire West council started this in 2015.

http://www.cosocius.co.uk/

1. Roger Greenwood

Re: CoSocius

"As of the 1st of April 2016, these functions have reverted to being delivered as in-house council shared services."

7. Blotto Silver badge
    Mushroom

how do those to dialects communicate with each other?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

BY SPEAKING LOUDLY AND SLOOOOOWWWLEEEEEEE!!!

8. Tony S

This sounds more than a little like the SouthWest One project. That didn't go particularly well. http://www.bestpracticegroup.com/southwest-one-failure/

I wonder what makes Salford / Liverpool think that they will do any better?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"what makes Salford / Liverpool think that they will do any better?"

They've read the reports on SouthWestOne ?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They've read the reports on SouthWestOne ?

Most unlikely. I work in a sector where local authorities are piling in to commercial business, believing that although they can't even empty bins weekly, they can do a better, more efficient job than large, long established companies who have been fighting it out for decades in a ruthlessly competitive sector.

In any line of business, there's how the rest of the world think you make money (and they always think it is falling off a log), and the commercial reality (where there's a range of requisite resources plus commercial and technical skills just to win the business, never mind make a profit).

If local authorities are so confident of their competitive abilities, good luck to them - oh, and by the way, I'd like a choice of who I pay my council tax to.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

My council empties my bin weekly. Or more accurately empties one bin weekly. Which is probably the most efficient for me as it takes me two weeks to fill either recycle or general bin.

They collect food waste every week though.

9. bj292

Land Charge Register

Is this the same Salford Council whose land charges register is kept on a 13,000 page PDF file without an index. Each search taking circa 11 minutes. Sure hope they don't come and help me with my IT.

10. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Given that so many councils don't seem to do a particularly good job of running their existing services I suspect their taxpayers could be in for a few losses.

11. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Go

That said better a company based from the council than staff TUPE'd to Crapita, Atoss etc

But you can bet if they succeed one of those ilk will be sniffing round to buy them up.

Actually it seems that UK councils with shared borders have (slowly) started to share things like payroll, personnel and some legal services.

If it's done locally and not imposed from central government it can work and can save money.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like