back to article Chubby crims more likely to leave dabs

Obese criminals are more likely to leave their fingerprints at crime scenes because of the amount of salty food they eat. A police boffin has developed a new way of examining the corrosion on bullet casings and knife blades that is caused by minuscule amounts of salt in hand sweat, according to the Daily Telegraph. Dr John …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. adnim
    Joke

Or...

Too lazy to don gloves

2. Solomon Grundy

Fat America

I'd say it did generate a lot of interest over here. Almost everyone is morbidly obese - they'll have evidence galore with this new stuff.

That just proves that my hypothesis that fat people are a govt conspiracy. They're easier to control, they don't need a lot of space (one couch cushion), they'll eat the leavings of quality food production, and they leave better forensic evidence.

3. Dave The Cardboard Box
    Unhappy

They can't get normal finger print techniques right..

so what's the point of this.

The case of Shirley McKie highlights just how wrong finger print technology is. She only got a fair hearing because she was a police woman. God knows how many innocent people have been convicted by "experts".

I can understand why American coppers would like this technique. It makes convicting someone who can't afford a decent defence team far easier.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Solomon Grundy

Re: "..fat people are a govt conspiracy. They're easier to control.."

I took a tour of Alcatraz prison once, and the guard mentioned that prisoners were intentionally over-fed and under-exercised to prevent escapes. The few who made it into the water tended to die of heart attacks.

Mines the XXX-large one with the food stains on the front.

5. Michael
    Happy

chubby kids leave prints?

They less likely to "successfully" commit burglaries too?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

What they're really saying

... is that this corrosion detection technology depends on highly salty sweat. The chubby crims aspect was just a spin-off of a failure as the typical fattie is not active enough to go out and commit criminal acts that leave fingerprints at all.

7. Michael

@ AC 13:56

Or hypothermia? Or the really long swim to shore -> exhaustion -> drowning?

8. Chris
    Paris Hilton

I for one...

Vote that Vulture Central merchandising change the XXL size to 'merkin.

And for that matter where are the Sign o' the Times logoed merkins? I'd love an RTFM merkin.

Paris - cus I'd love to see a vulture on her..........nevermind.

9. Jon Gibbins
    Paris Hilton

Fatties eat more salt?

"Obese criminals are more likely to leave their fingerprints at crime scenes because of the amount of salty food they eat."

Some people are genetically fatter than others. Being fat doesn't neccessarily mean that they eat more salt.

Kinda blows yet another 'amazing discovery' out of the water then, don't ye think?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

they are more likely to leave

burger wrappers too

11. James O'Brien
    Joke

@they are more likely to leave

What about the trail of fries?

12. W
    Joke

Chubby crims more likely to leave

ebuyer, too?

13. Mike

Re: Fatties eat more salt?

>Some people are genetically fatter than others. Being fat doesn't neccessarily

>mean that they eat more salt.

>Kinda blows yet another 'amazing discovery' out of the water then, don't ye think?

Not really, most fat people are fat because they eat more calories than they burn, very, very, very few have genetic disorders which directly cause weight gain without increased calorie intake (according to the NAO it wouldn't even rate statistical significance, don't confuse this with a genetic disposition to want to eat more).

Why are there more obese these days? maybe they are catching this "genetic" thing..... doh.... couldn't possibly be due to eating too much and a sedentary lifestyle could it?

So, yes it's an 'amazing discovery' which means more bad people will be banged up.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

pmsl

re: fatties eat more salt... some balance please - fatties eat more everything

@ James O'Brien - awe bless you mate - the image made me wet myself - and as an afterthought... they are also more likely to leave - a salad; a dent; for seconds; nothing at the side of their plate.

This topic is closed for new posts.