back to article I can DB clearly now the clouds are gone: Oracle 12c on-premises for Linux, SPARC

Oracle DBAs who weren't so eager to trial 12cR2 in the cloud can now check it out on their own premises. Oracle had been piling the pressure on customers to consume its wares as-a-service by initially distributing the updated second release of Oracle Database 12 (12cR2) on a cloud-only basis. Now, arriving on-premises, is the …

1. Dan 10
    Happy

Commenting just for the headline...

..although I'd have awarded bonus points if you'd squeezed in "I can see all Oracles in my way..." to follow up.

1. Jason Hindle

Re: Commenting just for the headline...

I'm sure the headline writer could make more money working for the Sun....

1. Alexander J. Martin

Re: Commenting just for the headline...

I could, yeah, but then I wouldn't get the satisfaction of reading these erudite comments from such lovely, beautiful, intelligent commentards.

2. hellwig

Oracle Cloud?

Isn't Oracle offering an on-premises "edge" server (in a shipping container) for locally hosted databases? Did those get the update before now too, or only truly "Cloud" instances?

We need a better name ("edge server" is probably an HP trademark anyway). How about a Silver Server? Every cloud has a "silver lining". Then we could have comic-themed puns

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oracle Cloud?

"How about a Silver Server?"

How about NO?!

3. Michael Habel
    Alert

Dat BOfH (From the Pic)

Is shutting that --it down quickly!

4. Alistair
    Windows

Modified:

I can see clearly now the clouds are gone;

I can see all patches in my way;

gone are the dark blobs of code that had me slowed;

its gonna be a long (looooong)

Long (looong) patching weekend!

1. chasil

Patch weekend

I can usually get Oracle db patch sets applied in about 15 minutes. I only do single-instance, no rolling-RAC. I can't complain about the time it takes an experienced DBA to apply.

I can, however, complain when Oracle divides everything up into two sets of patches and forces you to run OPatch twice (as they did in the last set). I can also complain about all the GRANTs that I have to remember to run so the patch doesn't barf. The patch process should be as simple as "yum update."

I can also bitterly complain about how terrible the encryption tools are for TNS. It is *so much easier* to bolt an stunnel instance in front of the listener and never, ever, ever use an Oracle wallet - and safer too, since stunnel can sink itself into a chroot().

Oracle databases - wonderful software, until it's not.

1. Down not across

Re: Patch weekend

I can also bitterly complain about how terrible the encryption tools are for TNS. It is *so much easier* to bolt an stunnel instance in front of the listener and never, ever, ever use an Oracle wallet - and safer too, since stunnel can sink itself into a chroot().

Wallet? Why are you still using COST instead of VNCR?

Oracle databases - wonderful software, until it's not.

That would be most of the time. It may have brief moments of something akin to wonderfulness, but they are very fleeting and definitely will not last.

5. Hans 1
    Angel

>Oracle's Multitenant capability also provides a database consolidation model in which multiple Pluggable Databases (PDBs) are consolidated within a Container Database (CDB), allowing the PDBs to share the memory and background processes of a common CDB, while also keeping the isolation aspects of single databases.

Is this new in 12cR2 or what ? My understanding was that this was already the case with 12c, has anything changed ?

1. Down not across

Is this new in 12cR2 or what ? My understanding was that this was already the case with 12c, has anything changed ?

Your understanding is correct. That is not new in 12cR2. That was there already in 12cR1.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like