back to article Lap(top) of luxury: Porsche Design revs up 2-in-1 Windows 10 slab

Luxury brand Porsche Design has announced, at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, its first 2-in-1 computer: a Windows 10 device that will be available in April 2017 for €2,795 or £2,395. According to chief design officer Roland Heller, the Book One is the first Windows device to have both a detachable keyboard and 360° …

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
    Devil

Porsche

Does my d*** look bigger in this?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Porsche

Green Wing season 1 episode 1 comes to mind.

Which of these [ cars | laptops | watches ] will make me look as I am in possession of a bigger [ d*ck| brain | personality ].

None - they are just laptops, cars, watches - you still look like a tw*t.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fashion Victims

Why do people have this urge to rush out spend and vast quantities of their own money on Stasi State Surveillance appliances to spy on them ?

Windows 10 Telemetry, Penal Tracking Bracelets, Google TV appliances that Watch you, Amazon devices that Listen to you ...

Fashion Victims are rapidly becoming Fascist Victims.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Fashion Victims

Just the opposite, the ones which do not participate willingly in the pervasive surveillance are lining up for the victim role.

I suggest you have a closer look at Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451" towards the end - what does the police state do if it cannot get its victim du jour. Whose identity gets uploaded into the "dog's targeting computer"

Now I suggest you shut up and go buy some more Melania's sh*t. It is good for your "profile".

2. frank ly

Re: Fashion Victims

"... Penal Tracking Bracelets..."

I didn't know that many people rushed out to buy these. Did you mean Penile Tracking Bracelets?

3. Sebastian Brosig

Those "inspired by sports car gearbox" gear hinges look kinda cool but look to me like it would pick up pocket fluff and crap like that at an alarming rate. I know, they could use something inspired by a sorts car's cam timing chain, that would solve this problem. Oh wait, it would look like the watch strap thing on the yoga900 or MS surface. Damn. Well fuck it we're going with inferior functinality but we're damned if we're not different.

1. joeW

I'd be less worried about it picking up pocket fluff and more concerned about it pinching the skin off my fingers when I forget there's a set of moving metal teeth hidden around the back of the lid while opening it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Those "inspired by sports car gearbox" gear hinges look kinda cool but look to me like it would pick up pocket fluff and crap like that at an alarming rate.

Dude, it's a Porsche. You know you're going to be cleaning and polishing that thing all the time anyway, just to make sure it looks as expensive as it was. Might as well have a reason.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Built in Taiwan

much better than the ultimate no - no in the car world

Styled by the Germans

Built by the Italians.

1. Dwarf

Re: Built in Taiwan

Styled by the Germans

Built by the Italians.

You forgot the last one

Runs Microsoft Windows 10

1. Scunner

Styled by the Germans

Built by the Italians

Privacy standards by the Americans

That fits with the sentiment of the original...

2. Sgt_Oddball

That reminds me of a FIAT billboard from the 80's:

Designed on computer

Built by robots

Often with the ammendment in spray paint:

Driven by a moron.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And built from low grade Soviet steel (the bum deal Fiat got in return for helping Lada)

1. nijam Silver badge

Fiat used low-grade steel long before that, I seem to recall.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Fiat used low-grade steel long before that, I seem to recall."

The Soviet steel supplies coincided with Fiat being part of a consortium with Citreon, Alfa Romeo and Maserati. All their cars from that era (1969 - 1974) were utter rust buckets. There still seem to be a lot of pre-1970 Fiats on the roads in Italy, and almost none from the 1970s or 1980s.

2. James Cullingham

Also, of course, piss-taken by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNPTlT8HXjk

3. raglits

Would that be worse than the car that was actually built by the Italians and styled by the Japanese - The infamous Alfa Romeo Arna

Surely if you were going to build a joint Italian-Japanese car you'd get the Italians to style it and the Japanese to build it, not the other way round :)

5. druck Silver badge
    Unhappy

Crapware

The Book One runs Windows 10 Professional configured as a Microsoft Signature Edition, which means it should be free of crapware.

Well, just the one piece of crapware then.

6. Arctic fox
    Windows

The hinge is in fact a point of interest contra the Surface Book for a very pratical reason.

If you wish to use a Surface Book in the «tent» position you have to first release the tablet section from the hinge, turn the tablet part round and reattach it to the keyboard dock. When you then wish to close the device again you have to detach it from the keyboard………… yes, I am sure you have got the picture. If you take a look at this link to “The Verge” you will see a picture series that appears to clearly show that this effort from Porsche Design can simply be flipped into the required position – a far more sensible arrangement IMHO.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/2/27/14754142/porsche-design-book-one-release-mwc-2017

7. Alan_Peery

Avoided a big error in the Surface Book

The tablet portion has a USB port, something that is missing in the tablet portion of the Surface book. Lack of USB connectivity in the tablet means a lot less flexibility.

It's a USB Type-C 3.1 with Thunderbolt.

8. PhilipN Silver badge

Detachable keyboard is a fundamentally bad idea

MS knew this when the first Surface came out. To anticipate the negative their TV Ad showed grinning airheads skating and grinning and detaching and grinning and re-attaching the frigging keyboard as if it is the "latest, coolest, greatest, FUN" thing to do. It isn't.

Curiously a related piece here from Simon Sharwood reports IDC as predicting "a tiny ray of sunlight in future sales of touch-screen PCs with detachable screens".

Since we are into retro many here will recall the emergence of proto-phablets from Nokia with perfectly usable built-in physical keyboards in a mobile phone form factor. Then Google's G1 managed it with a slightly awkward but workable design. How is "detachable" an advance?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like the slab will be just like the cars: excellent hardware ruined by shit drivers.

10. Dave K

I'd still take the Surface Book

If I *had* to have a Windows 10 laptop/tablet hybrid, I'm afraid I'd still take the Surface Book for one reason - a 3:2 screen. I just couldn't justify £2,000 for a cheapo, cramped 16:9 screen.

11. MJI Silver badge

Porsche

Actually it is easy to sort through Porsche stuff.

Is it an ugly SUV? - Don't buy it!

Is it a strange looking saloon? - Don't buy it!

Does it run on tractor juice? - Don't buy it!

Is it a two seat sports car with flat 6 behind the driver? - Buy it!

Is it a classic car designed by someone called Ferdinand? - Buy it!

Is it NOT a car? - NOPE!

Anything else? - Nope!

So buy your 1950s classics, your 911s, even the Boxster, but anything else - just no.

The saloon, easy, buy BMW M5, the new Alfa, Jaguar.

The SUV, (it is a VW under the skin), either Something from Solihull (RR Sport) or the original VW Toerag V10.

I do like the 911s, solid and very competent cars.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like