back to article LG, Huawei unwrap 'Samsung Galaxy-killers'

This year’s flagship smartphones will run even faster and have even more features than last year’s flagship smartphones, The Register discovered today. Who knew? With Samsung delaying the launch of its Galaxy S8 flagship until after Mobile World Congress, both LG and Huawei used the event to capitalise on the delay. So let’s …

1. Number6

Some of the Galaxy range seemed quite capable of killing themselves, I don't think they needed any help.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Wonder why nobody's tried it before"

Perhaps because there's sod all content in 18:9?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Wonder why nobody's tried it before"

Probably to preserve the same width, since removing the bezel frees more space on the top and the bottom than on the sides, you keep the same form factor going to 18:9 versus going wider or shorter to stay 16:9.

I actually don't think its a terrible idea, but I think you'd want to use that extra space better. If they had really put the screen all the way to the top edge, they could have moved that front camera to the other side of the speaker and put screen all around it. Use it for an always visible (except when held in landscape) status area, like that iPhone 8 concept photo that recently circulated. You don't need the whole top row from end to end for status, just 1/3 on the right and 1/3 on the left, with the 1/3 in the middle taken up by hardware. I thought that was a pretty cool way to do edge to edge while nodding to the necessity of having bits on the top of the phone.

On the bottom, since it is Android, they could have had always visible (again, unless you are in landscape mode) navigation buttons, except they could be programmable so you could add additional functions like one that snaps a picture instantly regardless of whatever you are doing at the time. That would be more of a unique feature to build buzz than saying "two completely square screens side to side in landscape mode". I've yet to ever hear of ANYONE who wants that, or bemoans the fact that splitting a 16:9 screen leaves rectangles instead of squares! How dumb!!

2. GrapeBunch

'view two square windows side by side. Less obvious is why you’d want to.'

Simultaneous chess.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Simultaneous chess.

The killer app for the G6? That might be the only thing that excites potential buyers less than the "friends" modular concept they tried with the G5!

1. Swarthy

Copying non-selectable text?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You could be a touch more sceptical, please

The spare CPU cycles are also being used for defragmentation and memory optimisation, using ML algorithms

Go on then, tell me how space CPU cycles on a single phone can do ANYTHING useful in machine learning terms? At full throttle, it might just learn how to turn itself off if left running for a thousand years.

If you're using ARM cores, to do anything worthwhile you need something like a million cores, running full tilt continuously (like the SpiNNaker project at the Uni of Manchester, back a few years).

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: You could be a touch more sceptical, please

And exactly what effect will this 'extra computing' have on battery life?

1. Alumoi Silver badge

And exactly what effect will this 'extra computing' have on battery life?

It just means that instead of 1 hour you'll have to recharge your phone in 55 minutes.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

SpiNNaker is a project to simulate the human brain using ARM processors. That is not a trivial task.

Yet you you deride ARM processors, are you nuts or an Intel employee?

1. Adam 1

> are you nuts or an Intel employee

False choice!

3. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Um, well, you can use spare cycles to perform ML *inference* to optimize the system. Inference is very cheap. You're probably thinking of training, which is intensive. Modern ARM cores are beefy enough to do inference.

Basically, ideally, you train the system offline to optimize memory allocation, deallocation and organization based on loads of different scenarios (which types of apps are running, for how long, with how much charge, etc), build that model and code into your firmware. Then the phone can make better decisions on how to save power or provide performance, all through cheap inference.

More operating systems should do this. Forget the AI/ML hype, this is useful stuff for letting devices cope with a large range of users and their demands, without an ugly codebase of heuristics, if-elsif, and switch() blocks.

C.

4. getHandle

Hmm

Still doesn't look like any competition for my Moto G4 Plus...

5. cd

Not buying a phone with a fingerprint sensor. Period.

The 18:9 thing (2:1) is another differentiating sales tool. Someday they'll be selling 4:3 or something else and claiming an expert says it's best.

6. regprentice

Quite disappointed with the G6. I was effectively expecting a something comparable to the recent V20. Particularly the DAC. Very disappointed to find the DAC has been removed from the European model...and wireless charging also.

Its about on par with other current handsets (820 chip, 4 gig ram, 32 Gig storage) but these are due to be replaced soon whereas the G6 is fresh out of the box. In 3 month there will be plenty of 2:1 ratio handsets, LG havent done anything else to differentiate themselves....assuming of course that this handset doesnt suffer from bootloop.

1. Wade Burchette

Quite disappointed with the G6.

So am I. LG took away the two features I love best about my G4: the removable battery and the rear volume buttons. I am still quite angry that all modern Android phones replaced the very very useful menu button at the bottom with a task switch button. There is room enough for 4 buttons.

2. Charles 9

Wireless charging is not all it's cracked up to be at this point. It's not as efficient, emits too much heat, and is harder to control. Ergo, it murders the batteries (which in these models can't be replaced--consider that). I switched out batteries in S4's and Note 4's way too soon due to heat damage induced from Qi chargers, so I can speak from experience.

7. Gene Cash Silver badge

LG has done away with all the buttons except the volume keys, and retains the power up / fingerprint sensor on the rear

So what does this mean? No power button at all? So you HAVE to use the fingerprint sensor?

The sensor on my 6P sucks. Also, this leaves you open in the US to having the cops demand you unlock your phone. That's another reason to not use it.

1. Aladdin Sane

US Cops

My HTC10 has a fingerprint sensor but still requires a passcode when being switched on.

2. 404

It's actually convenient, I kinda miss it (went from LG G5 to Moto Z Force).

You don't have to set the fingerprint reader up to use it - I have the same objections you do as far as cops are concerned.

8. psychonaut

please start every phone review with:

sd card slot yes / no

replaceable battery: yes / no

makes it much easier. if the answer is no to either, its not for me and i dont have to bother reading the rest. i appreciate this is just me, but it is me asking.

cue lots of people asking why it needs to be a replaceable battery....yawn....with my usage the battery will hit 50% of capacity in about 9 months. and no i dont want to have to carry around a usb battery brick to charge it from

1. Charles 9

Re: please start every phone review with:

Also state the battery capacity. I'm looking for no less than 5 Ah and yes I WANT a beefier phone.

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Hearing you loud and clear - updated the article with links to specs + battery info + storage slots + more.

C.

3. LewisRage

It isn't just you. LG have been the last bastion of SD and Battery flexability in recent years. Looks like those options are even more limited now.

I'd possibly give up the SD slot, but a replacable battery is infinitely more convenient than having a pocket USB charger.

1. Charles 9

It's not convenience I'm concerned about but safety. Getting the battery out when it starts to bulge is a decent safety measure. Given the potential for spontaneous phone-bustion, I'm surprised some country hasn't required user-removeable batteries by law due to fire risk, much like how lithium batteries can't be placed in airplane cargo holds without special packaging but having them in carry-on baggage (where humans would be present) is less of an issue.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gimmicks

All they are doing is willy waving their not so new/great features.

There will always be incremental "improvements" in the original specs, but designwise, the all look the same to me. Performance of a few microsceonds on my eys of a youtube video or game is no justification for paying 7 time more on such gimmicky phones. And you cant even change the battery. trying to bind you into a compulsory upgrade cycle. (Rememebr Apple started the trend - capitalist greed)

What can a £120 Lenovo K5 Note not do 95 percents of times that this £700 can do?

They are just appealing to the egoists and mugs.

1. Whitter

Re: Gimmicks

The new meaninglessly-improved models make the previous generation models significantly cheaper: that's the only benefit I tend to see (though your mileage may vary: e.g. gamers for can almost always actively use incremental benefits to their genuine advantage)

2. K

Re: Gimmicks

100% agreed :)

I brought my partner an Huawei Honor 6x for her birthday, its does 99.99% what their new phone does at 1/3 the price (Will need to check it again, but think that Includes having dual camera's and finger print reader!)

10. K

Too bad about the Huawei

The best feature on the 6P and other models was the rear finger print scanner.

11. Tommy Pock

The P10's fingerprint sensor has been moved to the front? Why?! The P9's sensor location on the back is the single most useful unique feature on a smartphone since the 3.5mm jack

12. 尼尔

Difficult to say where is the best place for the fingerprint scanner.

I have a Mate S with it on the rear and an M3 with it on the front. The rear one is very natural when holding the phone in one hand except when you have one of those fold back covers. On the other hand I often use both of these on a table top in which case the front scanner is best if the device turns off while I am working at something else.

Perhaps Huawei should have both, and make it so as one can set either to the functions one finds most useful.

13. Adam 1

better call quality!?

Why waste your R&D budget on features that no-one will bother reporting? (Current company excluded). Shirley better to do something like make it thinner, remove useful ports, change the aspect ratio or remove wireless charging like a normal vendor.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about sound?

Does it make calls? If so, whats the call quality? Will it play music? Are speakers good?

Surely, basic requirments in a mobile phone?

What are they trying to sell? Just the highlighting of facts about fingerpirnt scanner being moved? And buttons being rejigged? WTF?

What a waste of space, really. Gimmicks indeed, to make you part with your money on meaningless upgrades. Smart mobile phones/designs have plateaued. There is only so much you can cram into an ever thinner piece of electronics. What more do you want ? And why spend upwards of £700 on a not so great upgraded model?

15. NBCanuck

Battery

I have a Note 4. While there are newer phones out there with now bigger screens, better cameras and other spiffy new features, they have all gone to sealed cases where you cannot swap a better out. Many have added back a slot for a memory card, but you are stuck with the battery. While the phone may last you a long time it will feel old as the battery's capacity diminishes over time.

Last year I replaced my battery and easily get a full day out of it. I even have a spare battery (with separate charger) for those times when usage goes a little nuts. Water/dust-proofing is nice, but unless a phone has the ability for a user-swappable battery it is not a viable candidate for a new phone.

16. W. Anderson

For years I used a Blackberry which had the requisite functionality for my technology profession needs, and just last year "finally" upgraded to Huawei P8 smartphone which was evaluated by several Mobile media as equal in quality, workmanship and features/functionality to Samsung Galaxy S7 and Apple iPhone7.

Not only did the phone live up to it's praise, but was approximately "half" cost of an iPhone7.

For first time un my life, I am keen to upgrade to new Huawei P10 - in act like many smartphone

lovers, since the choice of an excellent alternative to the 2 hegemony players' products that are ridiculously over priced is refreshing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like