back to article Eckoh fined £150K over Richard & Judy quiz

The premium-rate regulator, ICSTIS, has completed its investigation into allegations against the quiz "You say, we pay", and concluded that Eckoh, which ran the competition, should pay a £150,000 fine for their "reckless disregard for viewers". Punters were encouraged to call up, at a quid a time, in the hope of being selected …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Serious Fraud

What's the threshold of money before the SFO gets gets involved? Surely this sort of scam warrants criminal charges?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

According to the BBC.....

..... it was 5 million viewers ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6276388.stm ). That makes it a much more healthy 2.35 million GBP of fraudulent profits to split between 'em (less the 150K fine of course).

3. Chad H.

But wasnt it still profitable?

I meanm I think I read something like 5 million calls at 1 quid each. that makes 4,850,000 left. Lets assume a generous overhead of 1 million.... I think we're all in the wrong business... even with massive fines you still make money.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maths?

Everyone seems to be questioning the maths on this, but if they get £470,000 and 60% goes on prizes, then the profit is the remaining 40%, i.e. £188,000, not £282,000.

5. peter

On this case

I demand a phone vote!

6. Glenn Gilbert

So someone gets chosen from all the lottery entries...

That's what's supposed to happen and it did.

The fact that some Muppets didn't get entered for the lottery surely doesn't matter - in the end one of them was chosen from the set of callers.

What gets me is they're running a lottery on the telly without paying tax. And the mind-numbingly crap programs they produce - which is by far the more important issue.

VAT (and a special gambling tax) should be levied on these calls so that the rest of society can benefit from the Muppets who play these lotteries.

I can't help but think that the viewers of this crap are getting what they deserve.

This topic is closed for new posts.