back to article Deloitte goes all gooey for SAP HANA on AWS

Deloitte, Amazon Web Services and SAP have cooked up a cloudy consulting confection. The consultancy has created a new practice dedicated to AWS that we're told will have 2,500 suits poised to spring off the mythical “bench” upon which under-employed consultants dwell. Many will be either AWS certified Solution Architects or …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, in other words..

.. they invented some new marketing terms to crank up utilisation. Technically it's not new at all, but MBAs typically can't tell the difference anyway so it'll get a few people back on the clock and money is wasted anew.

Reading between the lines, the real news is that Deloitte has 2500 staff not hitting their utilisation target so they're not doing so well. But that would be off-message. Let's call it alternative facts, shall we?

:)

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Re: So, in other words..

These partnerships are ten a penny. Doesn't mean anything happens, just looks good on powerpoint

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

SAP ERP is arcane, SAP HANA is no cakewalk either, now put it all in the cloud with all the necessary connections to external systems and its a flippin nightmare. But, have no fear, a consultant that has read about how to crank up a virtual machine is at the ready to help you with it all....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"SAP ERP is arcane, SAP HANA is no cakewalk"

Yep. It seems like the issue with ERP is that the market has consolidated to the point where it is a "what else are you going to do?" situation.

SAP does seem to be pressing their luck lately though. HANA is a solution in search of a problem. People have to buy it though, because SAP will only run on HANA going forward. They are opening themselves up to attack though.

3. Approyo

You saw that as well...They buy a company and get 2500 folks on the bench right away, so let's build a practice that only needs 5 people to run. AWS is expensive and over hyped, i'd never put a production SAP solution in it. Hell you have no DR, no HA and every thing is done by the add on cost.... this will be dead in 12 months.

2. Tony S

"Many will be either AWS certified Solution Architects or AWS certified Solution Architect Professionals."

Yes, I'm sure that they will be; and monkeys might fly out of my butt.

Having worked with a number of these "consultants", they are often only 1 or 2 steps ahead of the technical staff at their clients; and as such, will often create as many problems as they fix. But hey, that's OK, because it then creates more opportunities for yet more consultants to come back and fix the problems.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Having worked with a number of these "consultants", they are often only 1 or 2 steps ahead of the technical staff at their clients"

I see that you've been lucky, most of the consultants we get from the body shops we use are usually at, or below, our level. Its just that the consultants have fancy certifications while we, the in-house folk, do not (Because management spends way too much on consultants, leaving no money for training). At least this has been our experience with Accenture, Crapita, and PWC. Even worse was when management decided to go lowest bidder and brought in Tata and Wipro.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So...

Ignoring the Deloitte market speak around this, I'm guessing AWS is cheaper than SAP's own cloud solution?

1. MarkStan

Re: So...

Way cheaper; to start with at least. But ERP on public cloud? My company (SAP partner) just implemented first SAP S/4HANA on "Enterprise Cloud" (IBM Softlayer). Best of both worlds as it combines flexibility of Cloud with a full service offering (backup/ patching/ security/ application support etc) and performance guarantees.

1. Wedgie

I'm pretty certain that use of AWS doesn't preclude comparable secure, performant, reliable services being provided for SAP.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"a full service offering (backup/ patching/ security/ application support etc) "

Isn't that true of every SaaS solution?

SAP should really open up their ERP to all the major clouds (AWS, Google, Azure).

1. Approyo

They "kind" of do...AWS, Azure, Approyo, Centurylink and others all have a cloud solution built around SAP.

3. Approyo

Just implemented your 1st S/4 Hana...congratulations. Now when you get to 200 call me. ;) cc@approyo.com

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like