back to article Mystery deepens over Android spyware targeting Israeli soldiers

Hackers are continuing to target Israeli Defence Force (IDF) personnel with Android spyware but doubts have emerged that Hamas is behind the cyber-spying operation. ViperRAT has been specifically designed to exfiltrate information of high value from compromised devices. "Many of these samples are still active and are …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Russia

Enough said.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Russia

Or the US.

1. jMcPhee

..or an IDF pilot test. Oops.

1. jake Silver badge

My thought was Shabak or possibly Aman, and not a test or an oops at all.

2. Crazy Operations Guy

The entity that wrote it doesn't have to be the one behind its use. Malware has moved towards more of a free-lance / contract model versus the old "Build your own team" model of yesteryear. This malware is probably built, under contract, by a software shop that builds legitimate apps with a side business building malware.

With a contracted model, the actual entity behind it would be completely anonymous so long as the contractor doesn't rat out their clients. Hell, they could be playing all sides and constructing malware for the highest bidder. They could run their own CnC infrastructure and just pipe the data to whomever is paying while using the same bit of malware to everyone.

2. MrRimmerSIR!

Iran

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/29/iranian_hackers_android/

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: Iran

If so, expect to hear Israeli politicians banging on about this being disgraceful etc, conveniently forgetting about Stuxnet.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
        Boffin

@Roj Re: Iran

No,

Israel will protest. Note: no one stepped forward about stuxnet, and of course those that assassinated weapons researchers in Iran were never caught.

And if Iran were involved. It was to support Hamas in an effort to gain troop movements along the Gaza border.

2. MrRimmerSIR!

Re: Iran

Because of course no politician of any other country would complain under similar circumstances like for instance a German Chancellor, when her own secret services are in the same game.

3. ratfox
    Angel

Or, there's a lone hacker somewhere who is wondering how come just following best practices gets you labeled as an advanced state military organization.

4. Alistair
    Windows

"has a well-developed cyber-capability, an active interest in the Middle East region, and likely previously released a non-malicious application to the Google Play Store that is currently still live."

Umm. Israel anyone?

Keeping an eye on their own idiots?

1. Ian Michael Gumby

Bzzt.

No, you don't hack your own. For one, its illegal in most countries. Russia, Iran, Syria, etc ... they will and do encourage spying on their own citizens along with other countries. But Western Democracies... not as much as you would think. Certain programs come cross to the line and are in grey areas, but not outright hacking and spying.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Bzzt.

Keep telling yourself that if it helps you sleep better, Gumby.

1. MrRimmerSIR!

Re: Bzzt.

Presumably you got some alternative facts to back up your statement.

5. imanidiot Silver badge

Given Obama's last minute U-turn on Israel policy

Could it be Uncle Sam doing the surveilance. Certainly seems to fit.

1. creepy gecko
      Meh

Re: Given Obama's last minute U-turn on Israel policy

Donald Trump would be upset by that fake news, and would tell you that it could be done by a 400lb guy in his bedroom....or China. Or someone else. Probably.

2. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

Obama is antisemitic. That much has been proven time and time again.

However this isn't US based.

Iran does have enough technical capabilities along with potential help from Russian based Hackers. Russian Hackers may or may not work for the Russian government and they may or may not freelance.

More than likely it is Iran and they are providing this to Hamas.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Obama is antisemitic. That much has been proven time and time again."

You do understand there's a difference between state and religion...?

Most countries make conscious effort to separate religion from state to avoid confusion.

When Obama did not support building new settlements it meant he didn't like the fact that the state of israel builds new settlement.

It does not mean - that he dislikes the followers of the jewish religion.

At tge same time, when israel disliked Obama's policy - it did not mean tbat the state of israel dislikes black people.

Please tell me you do understand!

2. jake Silver badge

I'm not antisemitic. At all. Some of my best friends are Jews.

I am very, very wary of the terrorist state of Israel, though. My Jewish friends are, too.

1. MrRimmerSIR!
          Facepalm

@Jake not the old "some of my best friends" trope... I suppose all your gay friends are friends of Hamas and just can't wait to be thrown off of a tall building.

1. jake Silver badge

I'm sorry if me having Jewish friends upsets you (and others, apparently), Rimmer.

Most of my friends (all of them?) do not choose sides in any mideast conflict. No point. All parties are in the wrong, near as we can tell.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

State sponsored hack?

.... only if you recognise Palestine as a state..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like