back to article Samsung heir Lee Jae-yong cuffed in $40m corruption, perjury bust

Samsung Group vice chairman Lee Jae-yong has been arrested, accused of bribery, embezzlement, and perjury, and taken to jail near Seoul in South Korea. The Seoul Central District Court issued a warrant for Lee's arrest on Friday, after rejecting a warrant request from prosecutors last month for lack of evidence. A Samsung …

1. creepy gecko

At least South Korea use a criminal justice system, rather than a poison-pen spray at the airport check-in queue.

2. macjules

Thank God for small mercies

At least he didn't spontaneously combust on arrest.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Thank God for small mercies

Lucky, especially if it turns out he really was in someone's back pocket...

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

Re: Thank God for small mercies

Voted you up for being funny... But no, he wasn't in someone's back pocket. The charge is that he embezzled money from Samsung to pay for bribes, not that he received any bribes.

3. Manu T

Oh please, they're just sugarcoating the (bad) press. After the trail is over he might or might not get fined for a couple of millions (or billions), He'll step down and point some other jumping jack as CEO and eventually gets back in position after burning the other scapegoat through bad sales-figures or whatever. Within a year or 2 nobody will even remember this.

1. Youngone Silver badge

I'm pretty sure I've linked to this before.

Here's a link showing Lee getting away with it again.

The Heads of the Chaebols in South Korea have a lot more power than any US CEO.

4. Bob Rocket

Donations to foundations linked to Politicians

Wow, allegedly making donations to foundations to garner political influence, I wonder where they got the idea.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like