back to article Google yanks workers from ISP outfit, it's THE FIBER COUNTDOWN

Google is once again pulling resources out of its Fiber network venture – this time it's employees. The Mountain View advertising broker told us it is indeed moving a number of employees from Access, the branch of parent company Alphabet that handles Fiber. The workers are not being laid off, but rather are going to take jobs …

1. Mage Silver badge

Really?

Google Fiber has been instrumental making the web faster and better for everyone

Do Google-ish employees really believe what they say?

No doubt faster for people that got Google fiber and had no other fibre option.

But "better" and "everyone"?

I wonder what data Google's tame ISP stores and forwards on their users?

1. HereIAmJH

Re: Really?

Better, I don't know. Faster, quite likely. At least in areas surrounding the Google Cities. Time Warner, now Spectrum, increased it's speed significantly in areas where Google was rolling out. Comcast also started pushing faster plans.

As far as what data they collect, I suspect everything they can. I was surprised the first time I logged into my google.com/fiber page and saw info on all the machines on my internal network. Since they provide the router they can snoop on all your LAN traffic too if they want.

1. rh587

Better, I don't know. Faster, quite likely. At least in areas surrounding the Google Cities. Time Warner, now Spectrum, increased it's speed significantly in areas where Google was rolling out. Comcast also started pushing faster plans.

Indeed. Competition did actually spur on some development, at least locally. And even if you didn't take Google Fiber, then the contention on the backhaul from your existing provider's cabinet would have dropped as your neighbours did, which in principle would mean you got closer to your advertised speed more often. Diversity is good.

Sadly, it didn't translate to a more widespread rollout. Just direct competition in contested neighbourhoods.

2. Steve the Cynic

Well, I don't see any sign of Google Fiber making any difference for me. I mean, I have FTTH and all that jazz, but it isn't *Google* FTTH. And prior to about two months ago, I didn't even have any kind of fibre.

It might be a "chocolate ration" thing, of course.

2. Oh Homer
    Windows

Fibre, WiFi, whatever

Anything would be better than my existing rural internet service. It's like living in the Third World, if Third World ISPs charged fifty quid a month for 1980s download speeds. Seriously, the sheep at the back of my house move faster. Then again, maybe that's just because they see me with my wellies on.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"it's not totally giving up"

Yes it is. It's gone from fiber to building-to-building wifi. As far as Google Fiber is concerned, it is giving up.

If I would subscribe to Google Fiber only to hear that I'll get a wifi hotspot on my roof that'll chat with the one my neighbor would have, I don't think I'd be very impressed with Google Fiber.

Yes, laying fiber is expensive. But fiber bandwidth and reliability is second to none. I want fiber, I don't want WiFi.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: "it's not totally giving up"

Yeah, I think our sarcasm was a little too subtle, there.

C.

1. Jeffrey Nonken

Re: "it's totally not giving up" <-FTFY

I thought the presence and position of the word "totally" was a dead giveaway.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "it's not totally giving up"

Google's acquisition Webpass provides Internet access via point-to-point gigabit microwave, not Wi-Fi.

1. Ragarath

Re: "it's not totally giving up" @AC

Ermm, Wi-Fi is microwave.

In fact it even works on the exact same frequency as your microwave 2.4Ghz. Google may be using one of the other frequencies (it's a rather large range) in the microwave spectrum but the fact still remains.

1. rh587

Re: "it's not totally giving up" @AC

Ermm, Wi-Fi is microwave.

In fact it even works on the exact same frequency as your microwave 2.4Ghz. Google may be using one of the other frequencies (it's a rather large range) in the microwave spectrum but the fact still remains.

Yes, but the architecture of a properly set up point-to-point distribution network is hardly comparable to consumer wifi or daisy-chaining crappy wifi repeaters. People do use them to do real work, and they are an excellent solution in some circumstances. Just because they use the same basic physics doesn't make them the same (just as a Range Rover and a Fiat Panda 4x4 are both 4WD vehicles does not give them the same capabilities!)

Sadly not a patch on a dedicated gig fibre line into each property however.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Just rebrand as Google Wi-Fiber!

Problem solved! And this bottle of snake oil cures the common cold and rainy days--at the same time!

5. cd

There's a country western song in here somewhere, about how the company abandoned the singer's broadband, his self-driving car, etc.

1. creepy gecko
      Coat

"There's a country western song in here somewhere...."

More of a blues?

"Woke up this morning...etc"

6. Jeffrey Nonken
    Unhappy

Of course, 90% of the reason it was so difficult was that they had to fight tooth and nail to try to get past the consumer-and-competition-hostile laws bought and paid for by the incumbent 800 lb. gorillas. Regulatory capture working its magic.

While I'm sorry they gave up (*cough* before they reached my neighborhood *cough*), I'm not surprised. It must have been a soul-sucking Sisyphean battle.

At least Ting and Tucows are still at it. AFAIK. But I'm sure they're also avoiding the radioactive wastelands. I doubt I'll see decent Internet* here in Sacramento in my lifetime.

*It's slow and unreliable, and has the worst customer service in the world, but at least it's expensive!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"While I'm sorry they gave up (*cough* before they reached my neighborhood *cough*), I'm not surprised. It must have been a soul-sucking Sisyphean battle."

There was probably another reason, too. If they became too much like an end-user ISP they would've fallen foul of regulations and service guarantees attached to the position. This in turn could cause federal regulators to scrutinize them further. And this could potentially interfere with their greater operation.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Fiber count down " !

God - I hated that song

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like