back to article Apple nabs smartphone top spot from Samsung, but for how long?

Christmas sales helped Apple steal top spot in global phone shipments from Samsung, but Gartner, who compiled the numbers, are confident that the chaebol will wrestle it back. Gartner estimated the gap between the two had narrowed to 256,000 units, with Apple a shade in front, by 77,0380,000 to 76,782,600 shipments in the …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Don't worry Apple Haters

The mighty Samsung will be along shortly with the all conquering S8 series.

It will certainly wipe the floor with anything that Apple can make for the foreseeable future. After all, the iPhone 7 is a total failure just like the Apple Watch. Well Doh!

Take heart Fandroids, normal service will soon be resumed.

Where's the Tongue in Cheek Icon when you need it eh?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Don't worry Samsung Haters

The mighty Apple will be along shortly with the all conquering iPhone 8 series.

It will certainly wipe the floor with anything that Samsung can make for the foreseeable future. After all, the Note 7 is a total failure just like the Samsung Gear Watch. Well Doh!

Take heart Fanbois, normal service will soon be resumed.

Where's the Tongue in Cheek Icon when you need it eh?

1. TVU Silver badge

Re: Don't worry Samsung Haters

"The mighty Apple will be along shortly with the all conquering iPhone 8 series."

Yeah, the new Cook/Ive iPhone 8 that's as thin as a credit card, has no ports at all (let alone useful ones) and where all communication with other devices is done by bluetooth, telepathy and imagination only.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. BigAndos

Re: Don't worry Apple Haters

Phone wars are taken very seriously in the Reg's comment sections! If you ever express a strong opinion about a brand of phone you will attract legions of angry replies. It is like the console wars in the 90s!

2. 45RPM Silver badge

What does it matter how many devices are shipped? It's almost, but not entirely, irrelevant. What matters (if anything) is how much profit the devices make (after all, making money is the primary concern for most businesses), and ensuring that customers are happy enough that they'll buy more in the future, ensuring profit then as well as now.

So what was Apples share of the revenue in smart phones? Vs. Samsung? Huawei?

I'd be delighted to sell less as long as I earned more from the sales that I did make.

1. John Robson Silver badge

There is some requirement for volume - you need to sustain enough market share for your device to at least be a plausible option in terms of 'knowing other people with it'.

Although other than iMessage most of the comms channels people use are pretty open...

2. gnasher729 Silver badge

Actually, I think revenue is the most important number for the public to figure out who is the biggest in sales. Profit is nice for the company and its shareholders, but revenue is what counts.

If it was unit sales, Apple could easily make a deal with Huawei or some other companies to build gazillions of cheap phones, make them look like iPhones, and sell them under the Apple name, and Apple could probably double its unit sales. With a tiny increase of revenue, and zero increase in profits.

3. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Last thing on my mind when choosing a phone is how profitable the device is for the manufacturer.

I care about what I get for my money.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I care about what I get for my money."

You do want to believe that there will be some kind of ongoing support if you needed it, and that implies the manufacturer is actually making enough money to provide it. The continuing losses of Sony are what stopped me getting a new one last time, because it was being rumoured they would get out of the business. (They didn't).

My ideal manufacturer of almost anything is making a reasonable profit, and rewards its workforce adequately (because a race to the bottom is not good for a society so sweatshop conditions have negative externalities). With phones it is very hard to be sure of the second part, and the "green" ratings, to my mind, give far too much weight to self-reporting which means that a glossy brochure may give brownie points.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "I care about what I get for my money."

My ideal manufacturer of almost anything is making a reasonable profit, and rewards its workforce adequately

Go on then, tell us who this is.

No conflict minerals, no child labour, no sweatshops & dormitories, no abusive trading raps, full trade union recognition, obviously a zero carbon footprint, and a fair return to investors. Seems to me the list will be very short. And shorter still when you include the criteria "competitive on the high street".

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Obviously Apple had the lion's share of profit

All their phones are high end, whereas Samsung also sells low and mid priced phones. I haven't seen figures for smartphone profits for a few years, last time it was something like Apple making 90%, Samsung making 20%, and everyone else collectively losing money.

3. gnasher729 Silver badge

Interesting that Windows sales have collapsed, Blackberry sales have collapsed, "Other" sales have significantly shrunk, so now it looks like there will never be any alternatives.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's been obvious for a few years now. Microsoft did a 'start over' in mobile that orphaned old devices one too many times, plus pissed off their partners by buying Nokia and making their own devices (sort of like Google is doing with Pixel, but it is easier to get away with once you already have 80% of the market instead of only 2%)

4. Mage Silver badge

Never is a long time

"Never" is rarely forever. It seems right now, for value, Android is only option, as Apple is overpriced for the contents. Certainly there won't be any mainstream "smart phone" option other than Android and Apple for quite a while.

I quite liked the idea of the double sided phone, eInk one side and LCD or AMOLED on the other. I'd like a bit more variety in form factor. I know that occasionally non-slab Android phones come out, but you only see them on obscure web sites. In terms of form factor, it seems the size is the main choice now.

The flaming batteries and Christmas helped Apple. They are a niche, and the iPhone 8 may focus more on being expensive and fashionable. Swiss fashion watch vs Timex "Ironman" and Casio.

Windows and Blackberry collapse is no surprise.

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

Re: Never is a long time

If iPhones were overpriced, people wouldn't buy them. Since Apple sold more phones in this quarter than any other company, they are clearly _not_ overpriced.

They are expensive. Apple doesn't make or sell cheap phones. Expensive is different from "overpriced". And sorry, if Apple is a niche, then surely Samsung is a niche, and everyone else is even more of a niche, if Apple sells more than anyone else (and even when they don't sell more, at least reasonably close to whoever sells most).

"Christmas helped Apple" is interesting. So iPhones are the choice if you want to give someone a phone as a present and want them to enjoy it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Apple sets a benchmark price.

The google Pixel seems to be exactly the same price as the corresponding iPhone.

Samsung Galaxy S* range are priced in the same area as the iPhone.

The sheer numbers of iPhone sold seem to indicate that their pricing is about as much as people will stomach. If they increase it for the OLED iPhone then I think they will have problems.

OTOH, if Apple wanted to they could make selling any Android phone unprofitable. They could simply reduce their price by 30% and then instead of 80% of the profits, it would be close to 100%.

However they'd get caught up in all sorts of issues around monopoly and dumping etc.

So they are juggling a lot just to stay still.

AOTOH, I feel that the Pixel range as well as the premium Galaxy devices need a lot more to differentiate themselves from Apple. An Edge display is IMHO, not enough.

If at least some of the rumours about the next iPhone come true then they may well make any advantage that the top end androids have disappear.

So what next for the top end android devices?

What is going to make them stand head and shoulders above the next iPhone in the eyes of the normal punter?

anyone got some ideas?

1. Ragarath

Re: Never is a long time @AC

What is going to make them stand head and shoulders above the next iPhone in the eyes of the normal punter?

Just pointing out that no smartphone for many years has stood head and shoulders above any other. They have all just been iterations of the same thing, whether this is an Android or iOS based phone it does not matter.

All new phones even budget ones are powerful enough to do everything your average and even power user needs.

I only upgrade mine because they old one died (non replaceable batteries grrr) some anecdotal evidence too ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Never is a long time @AC

"All new phones even budget ones are powerful enough to do everything your average and even power user needs."

Sadly that's not true. I work for a particularly IT inept, German owned, red-branded energy company. Our cheapskate IT department specified the Galaxy Ace 4 as the default smartphone for about a year. And whilst no longer available, it was sold until very recently. I can assure you that the SG Ace 4 was and is a total f***ing dog of a phone, unfit even to drop out of a Christmas cracker.

You know that your company is on the threshold of going out of business when your own school-age kids have better mobile connectivity and kit than you are given to do your job.

2. Gis Bun

>> Samsung Galaxy S* range are priced in the same area as the iPhone.

You sure about that? Apple barely drops the price except when they want to dump stock. Samsung models tend to drop in price within a month.

3. John 104

@AC

That's easy. A headphone jack.

4. d3vy

"What is going to make them stand head and shoulders above the next iPhone in the eyes of the normal punter?"

Headphone sockets.

2. cyduck2020

"So iPhones are the choice if you want to give someone a phone as a present and want them to enjoy it."

That's because that is all they know - iSheep making more iSheep.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple outsold Samsung two years ago, with the iPhone 6 launch. Possibly they might be able to do it again this fall with the iPhone 8, but there are a lot of variables (will they be production limited, will Samsung continue to lose low end share in China & India) In the end beating Samsung by a bit for just one quarter makes nice headlines, but it is meaningless. Samsung easily outsells Apple for the full year.

As for the idea that a more expensive iPhone won't sell, don't be ridiculous. First of all, if there's a new "Pro" grade above Plus, it will be $100 more if Apple follows their typical pattern. Add $200 for the top end storage and it'll be over $1000, but only $100 more than a high end Plus. Apple sold millions of 6, 6s and 7 Pluses at the top memory config for $949, so I doubt an extra $100 will put people off (unless you believe the $1000 barrier is psychologically important) assuming the Pro is enough of a step up.

1. Julifriend

.... Samsung easily outsells Apple for the full year....

That's not that difficult to do when you sell far more variants.

5. Jedit Silver badge
    Flame

Were the numbers cooked?

As a serious question: isn't the change more likely to be explained by the Global Thermonuclear Note incident [1], rather than a sudden surge in Apple? Both Samsung and Apple appear to have reached peak popularity, but Samsung lost both sales and trust when they had to withdraw a model for safety reasons.

[1] Spontaneous Huawei Combustion would be a better joke, but unfortunately Huawei can stop their phones randomly igniting.

6. W Donelson

Apple, with 20% of sales, takes 92% of smartphone profits.

Of course, Samsung is a fine company with terrific hardware, eaten alive by Google's vision.

7. stu 4

WTF 1 in 17 folk on earth bought a phone in 3 months of last year ??

Does that just sound mental to anyone else ?

On the PLANET - 1 in 17 people bought a phone in only 3 months of one year.

That's a pretty crazy stat imho...

true no doubt, but pretty crazy none the less.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Urgent correction!

I have an iPhone. Can someone please ensure the sales count is upped by 1.

Thanks.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Someone is still actually buying windows phones ?

Anyway, it's of deep concern that there are really only two smartphone OS's and both of those are US.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not true. Most of the Android phones sold in China don't have any of the Googly bits, just the open source stuff. If you are worried that the open source parts of Android are US, then maybe we should all be worried that Finland is taking over the software world thanks to Linus Torvalds :)

10. GingerOne

This is just smartphones? What are the 'other' smartphone OS that were bought 530000 times? Or do they include various Android forks as being separate?

11. Gis Bun

Only a temporary thing. Apple released the iPhone 7 - so all the fanbois and fangurls waited in line to get it. Plus it came out before the holidays. Samsung still had decent sales even with the Note 7 mess. Samsung will be back on top when the Galaxy S8 comes out very soon.

12. Jurassic
    Thumb Up

Profits beat market share

Canaccord Genuity reported last week that Apple captured a whopping 92% of the smartphone industry's profits in the last quarter.

Do you really believe that "market share" is more important than profits to Apple or to anyone else???

Hypothetical question: If you had a business, would you choose to have only 18% market share of the worldwide industry, but that gets you 92% of the entire industry profits... Or would you rather have a larger market share, but get 0% of the profits (many smartphone companies are actually losing money, and Samsung which is one of the few companies other than Apple making any profits at all, only gets about 5%)?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Profits beat market share

Depends on where you make your money. Obviously Apple wants to be in the position they are, and Google wants Android to be in the position it is. All the Android OEMs are the ones who are caught in the middle, competing with each other to the point they all lose money except Samsung, but not getting any of the after sales revenue that Google does.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Your thinking is in the stone ages. Apple makes the bigger profits from their app store sales and services offerings. All you morons were counting them out last summer, and of course sammy fucked up the release of the Note 7, just like they were meant to. Here's why; they were trying to beat Apple instead of putting out a super high quality smartphone. End of story. They mimic Apple down to the hardware home button they used to properly do on-screen, so when you tilted your device the home button would still be in the correct position. Remember those days? Little stuff like that they threw out to be more like Apple. Well, look what happened. They just handed Apple the holiday season, and now you angry windows phone dorks are crowing everything except what is plainly true to anyone with any knowledge of the industry knows; Apple phones are expensive because they take much more care in every aspect of the design to the extent of having a walled garden, but one that works well and seem to be very profitable. The phones are just a vehicle to sell services and apps, little more. But when you known good hardware, that's what you have. It's a solid product that makes windows phone boys super super mad, because they know everyone has one and their pleas to try alternatives are met with laughter. You have Pixel, or an iPhone. There is no other valid offering anywhere that is remotely usable or secure as the two obvious choices. Still, you can get those nifty retro Nokias and show us all up! We'll be so sad, and you can rejoice again! You went backwards! Yeah!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sorry, but you're 100% wrong. Apple publishes the figures with their quarterly report every three months, so if you bothered to look it up and see how much more they make selling phones than they do from selling services you wouldn't look foolish. In fact they make more PROFIT from selling phones than they make REVENUE from services!

Apple's services revenue is growing, but it won't ever grow enough to outpace their profits from selling phones, unless their phones sales take a massive dive.

2. d3vy

"Apple phones are expensive because they take much more care in every aspect of the design"

Flipity flopity iPhone 6?

Antenna gate?

Peeling Matt black casing?

Wires that fray if you look at them wrong?

Non functional power buttons on iPhone 5?

And of course their own round of battery woes...

I quite like apple, we have 5 iPhones and 3 iPads in the house Aling with a host of iPods etc... But I'd not try claiming they were better designed or built than anything else.

Posted from my 3 and a bit year old HTC One M8 which is as good now as the day I bought it other than the battery only lasting one day instead of two now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like