back to article Apple: Don't panic, but your Mac can be pwned via GarageBand .bands

Apple says a newly patched hole in its GarageBand music tool could allow for remote code execution on the Mac. The GarageBand 10.1.6 update is being pushed out to all Macs running OS X Yosemite and later. Because GarageBand is installed by default on OS X systems, all Mac owners should install the patch, but those who …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excuse me?

Apple users should already be looking to update their Macs today, thanks to this morning's monthly patch release by Adobe for Flash Player on OS X. That update addresses a total of 13 security holes in the internet's screen door, all of which can be exploited for remote code execution.

Nope. Uninstalled Flash ages ago for reasons that may not be spectacularly hard to guess..

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Excuse me?

Agreed with you on Flash. The sooner Adobe kills it the better. They really should put a 'die' date on it ASAP.

At least the BBC seems to be reducing its reliance on this bit of crapware but

there are sites out there that don't seem to have got the message.

Photobox are you listening?

{tumbleweeds blowing in the wind}

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Excuse me?

Rosetta Stone is another. I was seriously put out by having to put Flash back on to my machine just to run RS. I'd gone a year without Flash and I hadn't noticed its absence, but now its back and I'm back to endless security fixes.

Just lie down and die!!!

2. Velv
    Trollface

"installed by default"

D'oh!

I thought all good OS's had got past those shenanigans

3. Matthew 17

Does it affect Logic Pro X?

as it can load GarageBand files.

Also, possibly worth mentioning that if you get a new Mac it does come bundled with what were the iWork / iLife apps. I generally do a reinstall of the OS when I get one just so it's a nice barebones install, it doesn't then install anything extra 'by default' unless you visit it the app store and download them.

1. Zot

Re: Does it affect Logic Pro X?

Good question. Anybody running it should have the latest OS though, surely.

4. macjules

Not only .. but also

For the first time Mac owners need to have proper AV protection in place. Russia is watching.

As an Ubuntu user, HAHA!

5. Tikimon
    Headmaster

"Screen door" label is mis-applied here...

Screen doors let the air flow through, but keep the insects OUT. They don't let bugs in, you're using it exactly backward.

Now, if you want to talk about the gaping holes and tears in Oracle's screen door (a broken product that's failing its function), you have a case.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like