back to article NORKS fires missile that India reckons it could shoot down in flight

While President Donald Trump hosted Japan's prime minister Shinzo Abe over the weekend, North Korea decided the time was right for another missile test. But the Democratic People's Republic of Korea's 500 km test shot was thrown some shade by India, which on the weekend successfully test-fired a ballistic missile defence …

1. Denarius
    FAIL

when will hated leaders realise

the only thing "Dear Leader" fears is laughter ? Sanctions and diplomatic threats are breakfast and lunch to some personalities.

1. Mark 85

Re: when will hated leaders realise

Which "dear leader"?? I can think of several... oh wait... you said "leaders".

Might be easier to figure out who isn't a "dear leader"....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: when will hated leaders realise

I think it has to be pointed out that just about everything any of us commentards think we know about NorK has been gained via western propaganda, and when NorK is being told that they are not allowed to do things that we are allowed to do [ICBMs etc.] then it's not too surprising that they start showing signs of paranoia.

I suspect that this current hoohaa is just normal rotation of threat propaganda, intended to keep us distracted from our own governments' incompetence and piss-taking. Next month it'll probably be back to terrorists or paedophiles.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pissing matches

These guys, and all the others like them, have serious (and expensive) phallic issues.

1. Elmer Phud

Re: Pissing matches

small hands . . .

1. Triggerfish

Re: Pissing matches

You'd think that would help it would make it look bigger.

3. Bubba Von Braun

All automated, but..

Yes its all automated along with the target carrying a helpful radar transponder, just so you know exactly where it is.

I am sure the "Dear Leader" has plans right now to install high accuracy GPS fed transponders, to announce to the world the current position of his missiles. (come to think of it not so crazy if he really wants to scare the world)

Other aspects like was it a tail chase or a head on interception come to mind. :-)

Reminds me of some of the reporting the US BMDA used to publish after their tests, "selling the performance"

1. Stuart 22

Its not rocket science

A subject I know little about. But I can spot a load of dorsal fins where I've seen none before (2nd stage?).

To my cynical frebile mind this might possibly point to having large steerable surfaces to compensate from uncontrollable, undirectional rocket nozzles. Fair enough but there must be a huge aerodynamic drag in the early stages. Either that or his scientists have cracked the Thunderbird code.

Anything else a real rocket scientist might deduce?

2. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: All automated, but..

If this missile is like any of the off-shoring companies I've worked with, their 'automation' is likely to be some college kid stuffed inside the missile guiding it manually.

I had to find a new off shore company the other day after finding out the one I was using was just using an intern to do the work manually rather than trying to build a script like I had requested. The job was to build 100 VMs for a test, but only 94 of them came back correct with the other 6 suffering from typos in their configurations (Typos that would be almost impossible for a script, but easy for a human to make).

4. Elmer Phud

Proxy punch-up

Sooo, if India are also making claims, then the Donald's people will need to lever the rancour between the Norks and India.

That way they can encourage the Norks to point their toys elesewhere.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Proxy punch-up

India is probably most concerned with shooting down Pakistani Ghauri missiles which use North Korean technology (exchanged for Pakistani uranium centrifuges).

Nice little world isn't it?

5. Andy 97

Good work India...

You can shoot a ballistic missile out of the sky, but you still have children living on railway lines and nearly 30% of your population lives in poverty.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good work India...

Andy, though I wouldn't disagree with you, mainly because you are correct, things were not so different here not so long ago. I'm willing to bet that a lot of the population of blighty lived in poverty at the time we spend millions on dreadnought battleships. Or, what conditions were some american citizens living in when there were billions being spent on the Apollo, or Minuteman programs? My point being, although India is the subject of the article, this is certainly not a unique problem to them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Indeed Nick, but I'm not entirely sure that your use of the past tense is that appropriate. Maybe we don't have children living rough that often (ignoring Calais..) but we are still happy to live in a society where the rich worry about getting dirt on their thousand pound shoes as they step over the homeless teenager in the doorway, and the government cavils at spending on home start while building aircraft carriers without aircraft.

'And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?'

And there is an interesting debate on how moral it is to bound your piety with national borders - it's understandable human nature to worry about the starving child next door more than the one halfway across the world - but i'm not sure it's something to be proud of.

1. earl grey
          Facepalm

"(ignoring Calais..)"

Did that somehow magically get moved across the Channel?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Indeed, it's not, even if one might deplore the events of 1558, but we bear some responsibility for the child refugees, and in 24 months time I hope the French do the decent thing, which will be to put them all on a Eurostar and say - 'OK Grande-Bretagne - votre problème maintenant'

2. Stuart 22

There is a view (which I don't hold) that one way of not having starving or any other children is not to have any defence against a belligerant nuclear power next door (Pakistan). I presume the mirror view might not be unknown in Pakistan.

Not defending it nor the people in this country spent our precious little post war reserves on making the UK a nuclear power while food for everyone was still rationed. Of course we now have nuclear powers telling countries feeling threatened by them to not have such weapons. Meanwhile shelving plans to scale down in favour of scaling up.

As someone might now have said "let him who has no nuclear missiles cast ..."

3. Kal71

Do you think there isn't any homeless people in UK when they are planning to spend more billions in Trident submarines. Its hilarious to see the mention of India evokes such patronising response.. Let them run the country the way they want. At least they are not exporting terrorism or projecting so called western liberal values on unprepared countries unleashing war and famine (Iraq, Syria, Libya etc.)

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

<cough>putinbot</cough>

4. MyffyW Silver badge

.. in conducting free elections, having a lively free press, educating your women-folk and having a large (largely peaceful) Muslim population.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's also doing a cracking job at lifting people out of poverty - of which high tech (including missile programmes and the amazing space programme India has put together) is a key aspect.

Be nice if they cut down on the coal consumption - if only to save their cities' populations - but India is going in the right direction.

5. Dave 15

And the people of the UK are busy funding this with aid programs, while we have no defences at all (our army couldn't fill Wembley, they haven't the ammunition to defend it, we have no Navy (no aircraft carriers so nothing we have dare venture beyond the range of the half a dozen planes the RAF still have), and the RAF planes are incapable of making it beyond the coast before dropping from the sky with no fuel. Add to this the accountants have removed all missiles and bullets (cost too much) and the whole MOD is a pathetic waste of space.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: MOD

...my offer of knicker elastic and the wire from an old support bra is still there MOD, don't be too proud to ask...

6. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Testing?

As there are several countries with itchy fingers to test their ABM systems in a real-world scenario, wouldn't it be useful for South Korea to allow test firing from their land?

If the Norks put one up, the rest could use it for target practice. If their systems actually work (there's a moot point in itself) it should disuade the Norks who can't argue then it's over international waters as it was 'just a collision between two test fired missiles, oops'. And what will they do about it? Launch a missile against a proven ABM system?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Testing?

The 'MAD' argument is that if your opponent thinks you are building ABM defences he'll be tempted to shoot now, while he still has a chance. So you have to build and test and deploy first, and then tell him, and there's a gap between deploying and telling, and then an air force colonel goes a bit loony and then you have to think about deep mine shafts and it won't end well.

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

If multiple ABM systems are in place, what are the chances that System B detects System A's ABM and launches to intercept that. System A then sees that System B has launched a missile, so sends another one after it.

Pretty soon we've run out of intercept missiles and the enemy has only had to launch once.

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge

"Pretty soon we've run out of intercept missiles and the enemy has only had to launch once."

But in this case, the Norks probably only have one!

2. Baldrickk

All this is reminding me of Nuke/Anti-Nuke wars in Supreme Commander - where the first to get one off often took one by suprise, but then it was a furious battle of economies as to who would win - often to the detriment of everything else...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Always preferred shield domes and long range artillery to nukes in SupCom...

3. mosw

"If the Norks put one up, the rest could use it for target practice."

Knowing your adversary might be able to shoot down your missile is a deterrence, watching them demonstrate they can't isn't.

7. Mike Shepherd
    Meh

Such

India "now joins a select group of nations having such an effective Ballistic Missile Defence System.

Here, the word "such" converts a statement incredible for any country into one that doesn't say much at all.

8. I am the liquor

Do they control these ABM systems by furiously spinning a trackball? Please say yes.

Imagine if your enemy launched a missile at you and no-one had a 10p.

1. Flakk

Nice! :-D

There's nothing quite like watching an expert "Missile Command" player go to town on the game.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
        Mushroom

I used to be a pretty good Missile Command player

It was one of the two games I was good at (the other being Battlezome). I used to be able to make a single game last 15 minutes or more, and clock up scores in the 350,000 mark. I could normally get on the top 10 on any machine I came across, and jockeyed for the top on the machine I played most frequently (If anybody is interested, the initials I used were PCG).

One day back in the early 1980's, I went to my local arcade. There, on the machine I was most familiar with was a new guy playing.

He was soooooooo much better than anybody else I had seen, and better than me by a mile! He could hit the really crazy smart bombs that appear in the later screens, and low altitude bombers and satellites as well. He lost cities, but slower than he earned them (and the machine was set to only give cities at 15,000 intervals IIRC)

I watched him play a single game for about 40 minutes or more By that time, the colours had cycled through all the outrageous combinations, some so bright that the screen was dazzling, with red, purple and black on a white sky being one I particularly remember. The missile patterns reached what must have been their most difficult, but he could cope. He clocked the score counter (I can't remember what it wrapped at, but it was in the 10's of million).

Eventually, and with cities stacked across the bottom of the screen still, he got fed up, and just walked away from the machine. I never saw him in the arcade again!

It really was a pinball wizard moment.

I stopped playing arcade machines shortly after that, because I knew I could never be as good as that guy. I will occasionally play one if I find one in good working order (very, very rare nowadays and you just don't find the heavy trackballs to play on a PC under Mame), but my playing days are over. Anyway, arcades are now mainly penny falls and fruit machines, and what video games there are are all driving, cycling and shooting games.

A lost era!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: I used to be a pretty good Missile Command player

"A lost era!"

NO!!1! Say it ain't so! I was that guy, but on Xevious. I could never get my trackball control right for Missile Command, and generally suck at it. On Xevious, I could get past the mothership and keep it going for a bit more and nearly always got in the scoreboard. I have also collected Xevious on about every platform available ever. Also, you can get all the Atari Arcade hits on iOS. Probably on Android too. US$10 for 100 Atari arcade and 2600 games. The controls are altered for the touchscreen, but these are the Atari games you've been looking for.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: I used to be a pretty good Missile Command player

I have a copy of Atari Arcade hits for Windows, but it's a bit flaky under Virtual Box (I never really bought into Windows, long term Linux and before that UNIX user).

But it's not the code. The Linux version of Mame is pretty good, and runs the original ROMs. It's the hardware that's the problem. You really relied on the momentum of the huge trackball for the missile sweeps. It's not possible to do the same with a mouse, and the desktop trackballs are too small!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kim and co ... against Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense system

I don't know but isn't the media in general not making to much fuss about this rockets about Nord Korea etc

if you read this news :

- The U.S. and Japan successfully completed a ballistic missile intercept in a spectacular test off the west coast of Hawaii last week.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/02/10/us-navy-destroyer-tests-new-defense-system-takes-out-ballistic-missile.html

and this important radar-test with F-35 armada and Aegis ...

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/game-changer-combining-lockheed-martins-f-35-aegis-missle-17695

I don't know if North Korea has the production capacity to produce enough Missile to get true this shield de-facto errors percentage ...

(see Hamas rockets problems against Israel shield and this

as with reagan star wars program " --- Instead, the typical proposal was to construct a “three-tier” system, consisting of a Boost-phase, Midcourse-phase, and finally a Terminal-phase. By the Terminal Phase, it was hoped, straining the bounds of credulity, that the enemy would have left only one of a thousand missiles launched. This sounds good, but…

How many missiles would he have to start with? Pick a number. Ten thousand and we get hit with 10 A-bombs. Twenty thousand and we get 20 A-bombs.

This was not exactly rendering nuclear weapons “impotent and obsolete”. ----

http://www.unz.com/article/america-should-be-ashamed/ )

just saying

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Kim and co ... against Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense system

Of course he could just get them driven in from Mexico concealed in a drug trafficker's truck. Perhaps you should build a wall?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like