back to article Linus Torvalds decides world doesn't need a new Linux today

Those waiting for the milestone that would have been version 4.10 of the Linux kernel have another week to wait, after Linus Torvalds decided not to release the final version this week. “Hey, it's another week, and I could have released the final 4.10,” Torvalds posted to the Linux Kernel Mailing List, adding that “... I …

1. Youngone Silver badge

Thanks, so-called Linus

What am I going to do with my day now?

I had set aside all day to re-compile my kernel with 4.10 to take advantage of those new features, or bug fixes or extra security, or whatever, then have boot problems, and reinstall with the stock one.

Now I have to wait a whole week?

He's probably a foreign johnny, they're never on time are they?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Thanks, so-called Linus

Nothing stopping you from downloading & compiling 4.10. Have fun!

Yes, Linus is foreign. He's Swedish.

1. Grommet

He's not Swedish, he's Finnish.

1. jake Silver badge

You're not a Finn, are you Grommet? ;-)

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

At least he's not Norwegian and pining for the Fjords.

3. Norman Nescio Silver badge

<jake>

Nothing stopping you from downloading & compiling 4.10. Have fun!

Yes, Linus is foreign. He's Swedish.

<Grommet>

He's not Swedish, he's Finnish.

Actually, he is a citizen of the USA (naturalized in September 2010 - see: https://lwn.net/Articles/404729/), but originally Finnish, and his family are Swedish-speaking. I believe his mother-tongue is Swedish, not Finnish, although he will be fluent in Finnish, and is of course fluent in English.

Finland has a material Swedish-speaking minority (roughly 5% of the total Finnish population: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish-speaking_population_of_Finland), If you visit Helsinki, you'll see that the street signs are bilingual in Finnish and Swedish.

1. Lars Silver badge
            Happy

See Orlowski, Norman Nescio used the Wikipedia, not the Daily Mail.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge
      Mushroom

Apparently this is a Denial-of-Linux attack. Where's the nuc-uu-lar cyber warfare button?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>What am I going to do with my day now?

If your German's any good - there's about to be lot of incoming work scripting LiMux-Windows migration.

4. fishman

All day to compile? I compiled 4.9.8 a few days ago, and it took at most a couple of hours on a slow (5 year old AMD Llano) computer.

1. PaulFrederick

Some of us do like to configure our kernels before we build them. With somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,000 options now that can take a bit of time these days too.

1. Bronek Kozicki

The trick is to use "make oldconfig" and then press Enter. More than few times.

5. uncommon_sense
      Trollface

>What am I going to do with my day now?

How about a holiday?

The FOSS people recommends:

http://www.onancock.com

2. Lars Silver badge

Sarcasm

Do we need a sarcasm icon.

1. P. Lee

Re: Sarcasm

>Do we need a sarcasm icon.

No, it would cost too much.

2. jake Silver badge

Re: Sarcasm

No. We don't need icons at all.

3. GrapeBunch

I think I'll go down to Rio

It's refreshing that Linus is as arbitrary and capricious as, well, me. The similarity doesn't end there. Millions hang on his decisions. Among those waiting for my next pronouncement are, well, nobody. It doesn't get any better than this.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think I know why Linux never worked for me.

"This week's release candidate, the eighth for Linux 4.10, includes what Torvalds describes as “a number of small last-minute regression fixes” in addition to many new drivers and architectural changes."

Someone has decided that the changes between RC7 and RC8 should include a number of minor bug fixes, and then a pile of new, barely tested drivers and architectural changes. Yeah, that'll go down well. I'm not sure they've even heard of "software engineering" over there. Your release candidates should be about fixing last minute bugs, not adding new game changing features with minimal testing.

Either that, or the author really needs to work on his English.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: I think I know why Linux never worked for me.

So what OS does work for you in your day-to-day life, oh great software engineer/guru? Inquiring minds & all that.

1. uncommon_sense
        Devil

All Operating Systems Suck!

http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/operating-systems/os-suck

>Linux sucks differently every time a kernel is released.

2. Tomato42
      Trollface

at least with Linux, the testing is done during RC, unlike Windows 10, where it's tested by regular Joe Blogs on their production systems

3. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

You can look for yourself :

https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/2/12/142

It's almost entirely bug fixes, but there are a couple of new driver fixes in there that seem to me to be unreasonable to include in an RC. I agree : where the heck is the change freeze?

I'd say 'oh wait, it's Linux' with some justification, but I'm currently being driven mad with lacklustre/hanging web browser performance in FreeBSD (Core 2 Duo 2GHz laptop). I'd much rather run OpenBSD, but the only options for general purpose emulation under it are Qemu and Bochs, Virtualbox is a much better option for running Windows 7 in a VM. Wine is rather sucky under FreeBSD running on a GM965 graphics adapter, and doesn't run at all under OpenBSD..

1. Bronek Kozicki

The thing with linux kernel is that you have few older (and currently maintained & supported) versions to choose from, notably 4.4 and 4.9 as GKH mentioned. There is absolutely no reason to jump to 4.10 on the day it is released, that is unless you like living on the bleeding edge or have unusual hardware requirements.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh Linus

You're such a cock-tease. Behave.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3.18.48 ?

I can only dream of 3.18.48 !

My phone just had an update. It is now on 3.10.49 .

And at work we upgraded to RHEL 6. We are now at 2.6.32 . I suppose that is the Linux equivalent of being at XP SP1.

Anonymous to protect myself from hackers looking for low-hanging fruit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 3.18.48 ?

RHELs version of kernel is only nominal, they backport huge portions of the new kernels to it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like