back to article Judge green lights Microsoft vs Uncle Sam gag order case

Microsoft is clear to sue the US government for gagging the company from telling users when their data has been accessed by the State. The lawsuit, filed last April, jumped another legal hurdle this week – thanks to the Washington judge who also battered President Trump's executive order on travel. It's Microsoft's fourth …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

you can't sue Uncle Sam

because we can't tell you that your 4th Ammendment rights might have been violated.

What's wrong with that then?

Nothing if you are a fan of Uncle Sam invasion of your rights.

1. Mark 85

Re: you can't sue Uncle Sam

It's worse than that.. you can sue the government but only if "they" decide to let you sue them.

1. Vector

Re: you can't sue Uncle Sam

No, it's yet another modern privacy catch 22. The only parties that have standing to sue can't because no one can or will tell them that they have standing.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Cloud..

Other peoples computers you have no control over, with no expectation over your privacy or security.

1. Vector

Re: The Cloud..

Which is why I refuse to use cloud storage. That and the whole MegaUpload fiasco. I feel sorry for all the legitimate users of that service.

My data is mine! If the government wants to see it, they need to serve me with a warrant!

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Of course if the cloud companies had implemented proper user-side encryption for data storage this warrant would be moot as the companies would never have the keys. However, that would also restrict their ability to whore you to advertisers...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Am I missing something here? Theres absolutely nobody stopping you encrypting your files before you upload them to cloud storage using $TOOL of your choice.

In terms of cloud data security I feel that it is entirely my own responsibility as with any security and I prefer it that way, if the cloud provider encrypts for you, it might as well not be encrypted.

Now treating the cloud as anything other than transient storage, thats a different discussion and primarily why I don't use Cloud storage.

3. mike panero

Trump and Deja Vu

I am sure I asked a hundred people if they had experienced deja vu and Donald Trump

They all had beards and mac based laptops

I awoke hot confused and with an erection

Thank God, wood seperates dreams from reality!

1. Nolveys

Re: Trump and Deja Vu

I've read that post five times now and I am no closer to understanding it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Trump and Deja Vu

Same here. The only tenuous link I can find in that post is "Deja Vu" is a Mac font and the hipsters have Macs.

4. GrapeBunch

Fighting the good fight

</cynicism> Whatever happens, it's refreshing to see MS fight for its customers.

1. Updraft102

Re: Fighting the good fight

"The US government wants to spy on our customers? That's OUR job!"

--Microsoft

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ignore gag orders

Hold back a few juicy ones. Release the rest. So. Wanna go to court?

6. JaitcH
    Happy

What the USA . . . and the Whole World Needs

is a bunch more like James L. Robart, U,S, Federal District Judge of Seattle, Washington.

Too frequently judges bow in obsequence to their government. Witness the average UK magistrate. At age 69 likely Judge Robart isn't up for promotion, so sticking his finger in so-called president Drumph's eye won't affect him. (Assuming he doesn't use Twitter)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like