back to article Zut alors! Uber wrecked my marriage, fumes French businessman

A French businessman is suing Uber for a ridiculous amount of money, with the claim that the dial-a-ride app cost him his marriage. The unnamed monsieur, from the Côte d'Azur in southern France, says he borrowed his wife's iPhone to order an Uber ride. Although he claims to have logged out of the app, his wife still got …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Valuations

If these companies didn't have such enormous valuations, perhaps people wouldn't go after them for such large amounts of money? The Apple/Samsung case is a good example. Apple thought a small design feature used on a number of other box-like electronic products in the past was worth a billion dollars. It sends a message, whether or not the belief is correct.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Valuations

I'd go with a different example than Apple/Samsung, seeing as how those companies' values are based off of actual product sold and income unlike companies like Facebook, Twitter, and all the other companies that have yet to make a single penny in profit.

But then your example isn't about the valuation of the companies themselves, but rather the perceived value of a specific assets. The case was that Apple lost a billion dollars in sales because consumers instead purchased a Samsung device for the sole reason it too had corners similar to those covered by their design patent.

Of course, though, you argument doesn't really track in that it is very unlikely people are suing the companies for such large amounts solely because of what they have been valued. I have personally been sued for a $2 million despite living in a modest home without any reason for them to believe I have that kind of money (I really don't). They lost the case (They were suing because their kid jumped over my fence and landed on a slippery concrete pad causing them to slip and receive massive amounts of brain damage). There are many other lawsuits like that where the defendant is being sued for an insane amount of money despite no evidence being present of the defendant possess anything close to that level of assets.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Valuations

The case was that Apple lost a billion dollars in sales

They would have to lose a billion dollars in profit, not sales.

it is very unlikely people are suing the companies for such large amounts solely because of what they have been valued

One of the first things a lawyer considers in a case like this is how much money the defendant has. Years ago I was constructively dismissed by a small company which I suspected had cashflow problems. My solicitor advised against suing because it would almost certainly bring the company down, and advised me to sit tight. They ended up paying me more than I would have got in a settlement because they needed me to do some work for them as a contractor.

If a lawyer is told a company is unpopular with a lot of people and is worth billions, he or she may well decide it's worth bringing a case and pushing for maximum damages.

In your case, was the case brought by the neighbor or an insurance company? And what's the maximum third party liability on your home insurance? Because that's the calculation they may have done.

2. PacketPusher
    Devil

The Fail is strong in this one.

If he was having an affair, then If someone rats him out they can be sued? That seems harsh.

If he was not having an affair, he could show her the logs so she can see where he is going, or maybe he is better off with out her.

1. toughluck

Re: The Fail is strong in this one.

Or, they both agreed to go through a divorce, let him win millions, and then get back together?

2. Valeyard

the law doesn't judge the morality of the affair nor take it into account (whether or not he actually was shouldn't matter), it judges the written ACTUAL law as applicable to data protection

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I was under the impression that a Frenchman with a mistress was de rigeur.

3. disgruntled yank

Oops

As I recall, some Frenchman successfully sued a traffic-camera operation: it sent to his house a picture of his car running a red light, and his wife saw another woman riding shotgun. This was ten or twenty years ago.

1. ma1010
      Thumb Up

Re: Oops

I work at a court. Now I know why red light camera tickets have the faces of any passengers blotted out!

It's surprising what you can learn reading El Reg.

4. Sam Adams the Dog

My favorite ...

My favorite is the Frenchman who sued Google because a street view depicted him peeing in his garden.

"The greater the truth, the greater the libel."

1. Scott Broukell
      Coat

Re: My favorite ...

Yes, and Google were also able to track his iPee address that way.

<gets large tin-foil lined adult nappy and heads out the door>

5. Mark 85

Privacy anyone?

It seems that the French take privacy very seriously. Much more so than the companies who tell how important it is to them.

6. raving angry loony

So much money?

If the fine doesn't hurt, it's not a deterrent. At all.

1. DropBear

Re: So much money?

Silly me, I thought the lawsuit was for damages, not for a fine...

7. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

"Dial-a-Ride App"

There's a clue in there...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Dial-a-Ride App"

Last time I heard it was car sharing, not bicycles.

8. mickaroo

Zut Alors, Indeed...!!

"...the husband was enjoying a cinq à sept, a French term for a lover you see after work but before going home to the wife and kids."

I guess us dumb Canucks got that one wrong. Our cinq à sept usually happens in the bar, not the bordello... with beer, and chicken wings.

Ho-Hum...

1. Alistair
      Coat

Re: Zut Alors, Indeed...!!

@ mickaroo:

If I'm in the office, my cinque a sept happens on the 4 oh #$%@# 1.

No wings, no beer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like