back to article Senator wants a piece of Pai: FCC boss blasted for ripping up schools, libraries internet report

US FCC Chairman Ajit Pai is facing criticism for his decision to axe a study on improving internet connections at public schools and libraries. Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL) said in a letter to Pai on Wednesday that the decision to rescind the "E‑Rate Modernization Report" was "deeply disturbing." "Your unilateral decision last …

1. willi0000000

you must know the drill by now . . .

if it might benefit anyone outside the 1%, cut it!

if it might result in an educated electorate, cut it!

[ how else will they get richer and keep being reelected? ]

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: you must know the drill by now . . .

If you don't educate your electorate where will the skill come from to create an economy that can enrich the 1%?

If you don't allow your economy to enrich the 99%, how will that money ever find its way to the 1%?

The 1% can only buy so much stuff from one another...

1. Mark 85

There is that, Trevor. But the way things have sliding down the muddy slope, a well-educated and well-rounded, able to think for themselves workforce and hence electorate, isn't what the powers that be want.

The dumbing down of America is well underway. Have look at Common Curriculum in the schools for an example. The result is people who want pap of which reality tv is a good example. Documentaries? Nope. Anything that might be science? Nope. The powers that be want a managed population.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

I did not disagree that the people - both those in charge and those being led - actively want the Brawndoing of America...I'm just saying that it's ridiculously shortsighted. Once the 1% have sucked every last bent copper out of America, which nation will take them in and let them repeat the process?

Okay, well, the UK and Australia...but really, they'll probably have ruined themselves by the time the US milked dry anyways...

1. Alistair
            Windows

Careful there Trevor,

We have the tea party up here trying to get its feet back under it with a so called "Business Man" ..... Sadly I think they can pull it off up here too.

2. Fatman

<quote>The dumbing down of America is well underway. Have look at Common Curriculum in the schools for an example. The result is people who want pap of which reality tv is a good example. Documentaries? Nope. Anything that might be science? Nope.

The powers that be want a managed population.</quote>

1) to re-introduce serfdom anyway possible,

2) to turn out 'worker bees' with the most minimal skills possible, while funneling the education money into Charter Schools, or to make gaining the requisite education so damn expensive, the college graduate is 6 figures in debt on the they day they graduate,

3) plenty of cheap prison labor, because they fear the browning of America, and the best way to keep the browns from voting is to deport them or lock them up, and

4) to insure that the children of good Christian families1 get all of the breaks, and every one else gets the shaft.

1 Read as White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. Catholics and Jews need not apply.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The answer to all your questions is: H1-B's. They are relatively easy to import, and much cheaper than the locals.

It's not about buying and selling - i.e. trade. It's all about extraction.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Pai himself shows how dangerous is to bring in immigrants... you get people used to lick feet of those in power, even after a generation.

3. hplasm
        Big Brother

"The 1% can only buy so much stuff from one another..."

Then, when they have all the money and stuff, they can get the slaves^H^H^H^H^H^H citizens to start on the giant pyramids, in return for food.

4. Dr Stephen Jones

We're talking about a boondoggle to put computers in libraries, don't confuse this with education.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The 1% can only buy so much stuff from one another..."

Yes, but they are like hamsters. They can't stop collecting money even if they can't spend them in some lifetimes - hamster collect more food than they will ever eat, and often forget it somewhere.

Then there's the my <put whatever you like here> is bigger than yours.

Greed is not logical.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As I read somewhere, Ignorant, uneducated, poor white Southerners have been voting Republican for generations, and they are still Ignorant, uneducated and poor.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"have been voting Republican for generations"

Actually, not. AFAIK there was a time when the racists in the south were mostly the Democrats. Lincoln was a Republican.

When it changed in the '60s (Kennedy and especially Johnson), they turned to the Republicans, so not many generations.

1. earl grey
          Trollface

Re: "have been voting Republican for generations"

"When it changed in the '60s "

That's at least 4 generations in the south...

2. fishman

"As I read somewhere, Ignorant, uneducated, poor white Southerners have been voting Republican for generations, and they are still Ignorant, uneducated and poor."

As I read somewhere, Ignorant, uneducated, poor minority urbanites have been voting Democrat for generations, and they are still Ignorant, uneducated and poor.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Sweet Pai continues to prepare for his retirement.

With a bit more brow nosing. of the Cable Guys?

3. James 51
    Coat

As Trump himself might tweet, 'Education Bad! Obedience Good!'

1. cd

He couldn't spell obedience.

To put it another way, how many white supremacists does it take to switch on a light bulb?

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Gotta keep the proles in line

for their diet of Chicken Little.

Move along there, nothing to see.

Education? Who needs an education to stand in line for Chicken Little?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Gotta keep the proles in line

In People's Democratic Republic of North America, proles keep themselves in line!

5. Alistair

The Hunger Games

This was not a fiction boys and girls. It was a prediction.

We *cannot* give things away! Can't have those lazy, ignorant slobs coasting along on my tax dollars you know! Wont stand for paying for that lazy ignorant burger flipper's children to get an education. I grew up in a good family and we learned to work hard and save our pennies and sacrifice to get ahead seven generations ago, that silver spoon in my child's mouth we earned that. And dammit why should my kid have to pay taxes to support those low life scum.

Scarily, they *just don't* see what they're doing.

6. mIRCat
    Childcatcher

Any way you slice it.

...'cause money?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like